Western Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Western Union President, CEO and Director Hikmet Ersek
Hikmet Ersek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They operate in a very lean organizational structure so attaining a work life balance can be a challenge (in 24 reviews)

• Under staffed, very stressed senior management (in 23 reviews)

1. "Talent not really valued"

Current Employee - Tech Ops in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Tech Ops in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

opportunity to experience chaos and disconnect between business and technology.

Cons

Managers not willing to move past "that's not how we do it here" when looking to improve or advance initiatives and given feedback on how to achieve goals.
    Views of Info Tech is very old school and seen as a cost center and necessary evil instead of a part of the business strategy.
    Sending Technical roles to India under the guise of "we are creating internal Employees.
    Culture has created silo with in silo environments. Fostering teams to spend more time proving they didn't cause an issue verses working together to ensure the issue wont happen again.
    Managers are managers not leaders.
    Very political internally and externally to the point you don't (not that you should) want to even show a hint that you oppose leaderships views.
    Opportunities for North American resources are scarce.

Advice to Management

Don't just say you value talent, actually value your talent at all levels of the organization. Info Tech resources should be made just as important to the organization and not a necessary evil/cost center.
    Stop pushing your political values in your conversations with employees.
    Be straight forward instead of being shady about prepared actions

"Beware of a dying company. The next Blockbuster"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Talented workforce. Decent pay and benefits. Decent severance package when you get laid off. Nice on-site amenities that will soon go away when they sell their campus and downsize to leased space in a high rise (Red flag)

Cons

Where do I begin?
    The company is in a constant state of flux and reorganization in hopes of saving what is a company dying a slow death.
    Constant...and I mean constant...reorganizations of the business. Not only is this a problem, but the bigger problem is the reorgs involve the same leadership that is still stuck in the prehistoric retail location business model that is causing the company to die to begin with. It’s the same people in different positions. The proverbial shuffling the deck chairs on the ship mentality. No matter how you arrange the chairs...it’s still the same chairs.
    There needs to be a complete overhaul of the leadership team. That isn’t happening with the current board. Meanwhile, competitors and fintech startups offering better, cheaper, faster are rapidly eating away at WU’s market share resulting in very low single digit growth.
    In order to show growth, the company is cutting in other areas resulting in constant layoffs. Every November a d December involve mass layoffs. It’s a holiday tradition at WU. Although this year it went well into the spring.
    The company is closing offices all over the world and consolidating. The most evident is putting their global headquarters campus they own up for sale and leasing several floors of a high rise just north of their current location. Again. Cutting costs in order to show what little growth they can.

To those interested in joining this company:
    -Be ready for layoffs. Lots of them...under the disguise of the “WU Way.” AKA how to cut costs but still be able to pay for things like million dollar building ribbon cutting events, $15m logo sponsorships with sports teams and multimillion dollar salaries for execs.

-Be ready to deal with plenty of politics and heiarchy. It’s real at WU which operates very much in an old school heiarchal workforce model, which in turn impedes growth and decision making

-Be ready to work for a company getting its tail kicked by competitors including PayPal, Venmo and Transferwise. WU is trying to market to millennials but missed that boat years ago. It’s only a matter of time before the majority of their migrant market is able to utilize these new services and will leave WU for better, faster, cheaper. Money transfer is becoming a commodity market and will soon go the way of how services are bought such as cable, internet and cell phones. WU can’t get in a price war because they can’t afford to...mainly because they have to keep their 550,000 locations afloat...therefore sticking to the prehistoric business model and continuing in the death spiral.

-Be ready for lots of bosses. Turnover is real and talented execs are leaving and others constantly being forced out.

-Be ready for lots of processes, protocols and review. Thing is it bogs down performance and getting work done. The company has launched one new website the entire year. One. And that was for Kuwait of all places 😂😂

Advice to Management

Take your package and leave. Hopefully the company will find a sucker to buy them or a miracle will happen and actually finds a leadership team that operates in the modern day century.

"Decent company but leadership needs to learn talent management"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WU is very multinational and multicultural. The people really want to make a difference. Has a great vision ('Moving Money for Better'). Team I was in was very flexible on hours and allowed work from home. Pay was good.

Cons

However, the organization feels to be in a constant state of reorganization. WU senior leadership is more interested in interacting with themselves and no one below their level. VPs come in, go straight to their offices, and shut the door. They barely talk to their staffs. We are just resources to be applied to a problem. Talent turns over pretty fast and there does seem to be a decline in quality of people coming in. I worked in analytics and the same issues existed. Timelines on projects were unrealistic and there is high pressure to work endless hours for no gain.

Advice to Management

Get out of your offices and talk to your staffs. Show you actually care about who they are and their goals.

Dec 13, 2017 – Senior Marketing Specialist

This feedback is very helpful. We agree "Moving Money for Better" is the North Star for everything we do. We take this feedback about leadership and work/life balance to heart, and will be sharing... More

4. "Lots to improve and not much accountability"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Western Union full-time

Pros

Work life balance and remote work is pretty good. Mission and product is fantastic.

Cons

Little to no accountability for policies and decisions made at the senior and mid level leadership levels. Pay is stagnant with little to no room for growth for the majority regardless of performance. HR policies are ancient and make it difficult for supervisors to reward good performance. Lots of feudal lords at the sr leadership levels.

Advice to Management

Make it easy for supervisors to reward performers.

Oct 31, 2017 – Senior Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your insights. We care about our employees and want to use this to better the way we work at WU. With regards to pay structures are reviewed on an annual basis, and are... More

"Director"

I have been working at Western Union full-time

Pros

At the moment I cannot think of a good reason to work here.

Cons

Heavy workloads
    Horrible work/life balance
    Lack of proper collaboration
    Senior leadership does not seem to want to understand processes procedures, but have no problem telling us what we're doing wrong

Oct 12, 2017 – Senior Marketing Specialist

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. We want all of our employees to be happy, with robust, challenging, impacting roles. We welcome you to provide more details, in a confidential way... More

"Friends and Family ONLY APPLY"

Former Employee - Global Head in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Global Head in Englewood, CO

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some managers have flexible work environment; Living Wage;

Cons

Must be friends and family now, experience not needed

Advice to Management

Hire competent and qualified individuals, not just friends you hang out with or gym buddies. Allow people to challenge the process versus YES men/women. If anyone challenges the leadership, you have a target on your back and your next on the layoff horizon...

Oct 12, 2017 – Senior Marketing Specialist

Sorry to hear your somewhat negative WU experience. We hope to encourage our employees to challenge the status quo to drive our business and technologies forward as well as hire folks from all walks... More

"Vice President"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Work environment, Understanding Colleagues, Committed professions

Cons

Old school, Stuck in a rut and trying hard to package the same old new shiny cover

Advice to Management

Focus on talent

Oct 12, 2017 – Senior Marketing Specialist

So many great pros about WU, thanks for sharing yours! Our employees are the backbone of our innovative spirit, so if you'd like to share detailed, confidential feedback on how we can better focus on... More

"Layoffs are growing"

Current Employee - Analyst in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Western Union (More than 5 years)

Pros

The supervisors take so much PTO that you can do the work of higher management without getting paid at higher salary. It will look good on resume.

Cons

This company calls itself global but all they are doing is laying off LAN and IT Dept so they can globally outsource jobs. An U.S. company that rather provide jobs overseas.

Advice to Management

Inform supervisors that when bonuses are denied to low level workers it would be best not to complain about their thousand dollar shoes.

Jul 11, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As Western Union continues to focus on technology, we are cultivating an agile approach, fostering collaboration and increasing our presence in... More

"The next Sears."

Current Employee - Director in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Come and go as you please, global co-workers, sometimes interesting projects, generous PTO policy.

Cons

Where to start? Management is a revolving door. If your in management, you will eventually get laid off. The company can't figure it's way forward. Layoff, layoffs, and more layoffs...every single year. Offshore, outsource, and general continual cost reductions is the norm. Company wants to be the next FinTech leader but its management and culture is stuck in large company mode.

Advice to Management

You and I both know your outsourcing and offshoring approach is destine to fail, in fact it already has. Your putting the company future in low paying resources outside the U.S. Your internal culture is toxic and project disasters are the norm.

Jun 30, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate the "pros" you highlighted, but we would like to speak with you about some of the "cons" you shared. To schedule some time to talk to someone in-person... More

"They do the bare minimum."

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is OK. Location near AT&T Park is great if you like baseball. Worldwide brand recognition.

Cons

Stealth layoffs. Product organization has more say than marketing or design. Engineering s below average, which stifles growth and any hope of doing anything "cool" or forward-thinking.

Advice to Management

Management turns a deaf ear to the employees, but I would have to say trust your senior employees rather than laying them off in favor of junior talent. And be more transparent in organizational changes. It's disconcerting to wait on an email reply only to find out that person is no longer with the company.

Jun 8, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. Western Union is expanding its digital offerings globally, and the organizational structure has shifted in order to support this technology... More