Western Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Western Union President, CEO and Director Hikmet Ersek
Hikmet Ersek

1. Featured Review

"Committed to leading a global industry"

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've found that "moving money for better" is much more than your average tagline here. I love knowing that our core business makes a very tangible difference in people's lives all over the world. I also really enjoy the team I work with. WU has employees in over 50 countries (and does business in 200+), so thinking globally is a must. Also, after a few attempts, I feel like WU is now seeing some real traction from its heavy investments in technology and compliance capabilities. The legacy of innovation to stay not only relevant, but a market leader is impressive. Nice benefits as well (maternity/parental/military leave, etc.). Fairly casual culture, while still very performance focused.

Cons

Being a global company is a two edged sword at times. Pretty much anything you read about in the global news, impacts our business in some way. Sometimes positively (e.g. surging economies in some countries), and sometimes negatively (e.g. a soft oil market at the moment). Also, since the company is currently rapidly expanding its digital/mobile money transfer and payments strategy, there are lots of things that are still being figured out. Lot's of ambiguity at times as WU charts its course in fintech. Again some people thrive in that environment, but it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive digital innovation, and try to be as transparent as possible about course adjustments in business and organizational strategy.

Western Union Response

Feb 17, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! Great input.

2. "Great place to work - Fantastic Development Opportunities"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Eye, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Eye, West Midlands, England (UK)

I worked at Western Union (More than a year)

Pros

Their best asset is their people and the customer service the people provide a fantastic opportunity to be exposed to a global organisation who are a leader in what they do. A very challenging environment but rewarding, a company with vision who try hard to listen to their employees. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here even when things got tough and although a contractor I got involved in lots of different things.

Cons

A lot of change constantly, but if you like challenge that's not a con. Flexibility for workers in some parts of the organisation (not mine though) - although again they are looking to improve on this.

Advice to Management

Don't tackle too many things all at the same time. Give the workers time to adjust.

3. "Best to avoid"

I worked at Western Union full-time

Pros

Decent compensation and benefits, while not overly geneous.

Cons

Chaotic, misled, under constant threat, regular reorganizations, low level of management talent

5. "Changing"

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Purpose of moving money for better is real at WU. The good the company does is amazing, often overlooked. New focus on wuway gives all employees hope for the future.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy and non-value add work mainly driven by finance and legal. Can be passive aggressive, vp's complain without offering solutions.

Advice to Management

Move faster on culture and change, get managers out that are not aligned. Focus on the customer.

6. "Continuing to Evolve"

I have been working at Western Union full-time

Pros

WU has begun to pick up steam in its evolution from a brick and mortar financial services company...to a true FinTech (Financial Technology) enterprise. I've personally seen several changes that give me a lot of confidence for the future of this company. Everything from making the right investments in technology and platforms, to aligning leadership and talent in the best way to facilitate agility. This is a proud company that takes its commitment to our vision of "Moving Money for Better" very seriously.

Cons

While change has been speeding up...it could still come faster. Also, we have mounting market pressure and need to balance investment with the ability to meet Wall Street's expectations.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the right strategic moves. Be more aggressive with investment and don't be afraid of change. Continue to do what it takes to move the company toward a FinTech culture.

7. "bonne"

Former Employee - Sales in Three Tuns, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Three Tuns, PA

Pros

international comapany
    salaire bonne
    confort
    bonne entourage
    Most questions are past experience, compliance related, or behavioural

Cons

rotine de travail
    stress
    night shift
    Most questions are past experience, compliance related, or behavioural

8. "Un employeur tourné vers l'avenir"

Former Employee - Consultant in Paris (France)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Paris (France)

I worked at Western Union (Less than a year)

Pros

occasions de mobilité en France

Cons

il n'y a pas de réel accompagnement

Advice to Management

9. "Accounts Payable specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

Pros

Good work environment, great colleagues. Effective employee recognition system

Cons

Because it's such a huge company you don't really feel valuable. Also, it might be because of my job role as it's back office and our job is not as visible as sales guys or BDMs

Advice to Management

Look after your team and don't forget to recognise them

10. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Loads to mention but top 5 are Flexibility, fair Managers, generous benefits package, development opps globally, plenty of opps to showcase skills/experience

Cons

US co so long hours and travel often required. Office is quiet and hard to socialise with other employees.. office location has bad public transport links

11. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, people from different countries working together, there is a lot of focus on the customers, good communication from upper management, work-life balance and industry standards and best practices in place!

Cons

take some time to move to new technologies..