Western Union Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

3.8
Western Union President, CEO and Director Hikmet Ersek
Hikmet Ersek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great work life balance and good people (in 60 reviews)

• Good benefits like tuition reimbursement (in 44 reviews)

Cons

1. "Tum overs and projects"

Former Employee - Contractor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Contractor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a large company&provides intl experience and skills

Cons

Had to work in odd hours

Advice to Management

Oreplanned schedule would be appreciated.

2. "Accounting Associate"

Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Western Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly team, outstanding people, opportunity to develop skills is fantastic, the chances of being promoted are very high.

Cons

Difficult to find ones. The slow elevator in the building as my office was on the tweth stage.

Advice to Management

To continue doing outstanding job!

3. "If your face fits"

Former Employee - Operations in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Operations in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salaries, flexible, nice offices, good benefits

Cons

The old school saying "jobs for the boys" applies. Its not what you know its who you know. Many experienced people are lost from this business because their face does not fit!

Advice to Management

Take experience over friendship

"Worked here for 4 years"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people as a whole to work with
    Large company and strong global brand
    There was decent earning potential until recently

Not much else as a positive, the company has lost the initiative over competitors and lost a large proportion of its sales force (over 30% and the majority of them being top performers) in the last 10 months.

Cons

Micro management
    Boiler room selling culture (not customer centric)
    Think they're different from every other FX broker but they're not
    Big problem with the culture of the company (cliques everywhere and if your face doesn't fit...)
    HR are not impartial and influenced easily by management
    Top performers have all pretty much left
    Hiring way below quality they've lost just to get bums on seats, so an even higher turnover of staff
    They do not reward loyalty at all
    Poor work/life balance

Advice to Management

If you want to be more in line with banks and the corporate world, get rid of the old school backward double glazing sales mentality (that would be most of the management team).

Jul 25, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Hello and thanks for your feedback. We appreciate you calling out the "pros" because we love our employees! They have helped WU become the leader in global payment services. In regards to the "cons... More

"Disconnect between upper mgmt and workers on the ground"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Western Union (More than a year)

Pros

As always, the people were a huge asset in WUBS. Working in the UK offices I met a wealth of warm, friendly employees who make you feel very welcomed. Direct managers are approachable. Avenues were opened to offer alternative routes of progression (when I stated I was leaving- i.e. too late).

Cons

(In my experience) Upper level management seem disengaged with the rest of the workforce. Compared to working elsewhere, very little is down to feed down and the underlying business objectives/strategy to men on the ground, resulting in a lack of focus and team culture at an overall level. As you would expect in a financial services industry, the culture is very numbers driven and large restructures are frequent in the organisation (large scale IT and operational redundancies to name a few projects in the past 2 years). Seems to be a lot of knee-jerk reactions from the top, in order to cut cost without fully realising to consequences to morale.

Advice to Management

Shake up and re-think how you breathe life and motivation into your workforce. Give your employees a purpose to their role, so they feel they're contributing to the big picture in some way.

Jun 23, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate you calling out the "pros" -- we love our employees and believe they help drive WUBS success. In regards to the "cons" you shared, we hope to continue to lessen... More

"Senior FX Dealer"

Former Employee - Senior Corporate FX Dealer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Corporate FX Dealer in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good colleagues, when busy it was a good atmosphere

Cons

poor management, doing well was based strongly on luck and a complete lack of willingness from management to assist with this.

Advice to Management

Manager of one team was completely unprofessional, couldn't manage women and had no backbone to stand up to people in power which is detrimental to his direct reports.

Jun 13, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Our leadership development programs (e.g. WU Lead and Leadership in Action) across the company received positive reception and we hope to continue... More

7. "Western Union"

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good management and career opportunities. Flexible with time off. People are very smart. Good working atmosphere. Enjoyed my time in this company.

Cons

Salary can be very varied. Can be very difficult to get market worth. Other than that not many cons. Enjoyable time at this company.

May 12, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thanks for the feedback. We wish you the best in your future endeavors!

8. "Operations Support Associate"

Current Employee - Operations Support Associate in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Support Associate in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Salary, Nice People, Themed Events, Flexibility, Location

Cons

Bad Hierarchy, Poor Businesses Strategy, Poor Core Values.

Advice to Management

Prioritise customer care and satisfaction over revenue targets. Ensure correct maintenance of systems and procedures.

May 12, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thanks for your input, we appreciate you taking the time to share your "pros" and "cons" here. Customer care is very important to us and we are interested in continuing to drive down bureaucracy... More

"Fast-moving, sales-driven company!"

Current Employee - Head of Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Head of Sales in London, England (UK)

Pros

I work within the Business Solutions division of Western Union and everything is built around a high performance sales culture. The expectations are high but the rewards for success are even greater! I've been with the business more than 12 years (dating back to Travelex Global Business Payments era) and it has enabled me to grow personally and professionally and also markedly increase my financial stability and standard of living as a result of what I've earned in bonus due to my hard work and success performance.

Cons

It's not a 9-5 job; to be highly successful you need to treat it almost like a "vocation". That is not to say that there is no regard for "work-life balance"; this is an area that is being addressed and improved but, as with most things in life, you get out what you put in! It should also be noted that as we move towards a more regulated (banking) environment you will need to study for and achieve an appropriate level of Professional Qualifications. The business will of course support you fully (including footing the cost) in this process.

Advice to Management

Let's continue to evolve and move faster than our competitors, but remember at all times that we are a sales-driven organisations and the retaining and hiring of high-performing New Business Salespeople is crucial to our ongoing success!

10. "Great place to work - Fantastic Development Opportunities"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Eye, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Eye, West Midlands, England (UK)

I worked at Western Union (More than a year)

Pros

Their best asset is their people and the customer service the people provide a fantastic opportunity to be exposed to a global organisation who are a leader in what they do. A very challenging environment but rewarding, a company with vision who try hard to listen to their employees. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here even when things got tough and although a contractor I got involved in lots of different things.

Cons

A lot of change constantly, but if you like challenge that's not a con. Flexibility for workers in some parts of the organisation (not mine though) - although again they are looking to improve on this.

Advice to Management

Don't tackle too many things all at the same time. Give the workers time to adjust.