Western Union Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Western Union President, CEO and Director Hikmet Ersek
Hikmet Ersek

Cons

1. "Great place to work - Fantastic Development Opportunities"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Eye, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Eye, West Midlands, England (UK)

I worked at Western Union (More than a year)

Pros

Their best asset is their people and the customer service the people provide a fantastic opportunity to be exposed to a global organisation who are a leader in what they do. A very challenging environment but rewarding, a company with vision who try hard to listen to their employees. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here even when things got tough and although a contractor I got involved in lots of different things.

Cons

A lot of change constantly, but if you like challenge that's not a con. Flexibility for workers in some parts of the organisation (not mine though) - although again they are looking to improve on this.

Advice to Management

Don't tackle too many things all at the same time. Give the workers time to adjust.

2. "Recruitment Process & First few Months"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at Western Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The recruitment process was very quick, structured and professional. After my phone interview I was quickly asked to meet face to face at one of the UK Offices. One week after my initial interview was my second interview and I was offered the position that afternoon. A very positive experience.
    I have been welcomed into the business with open arms and the team around me have supported me through every step so far. My direct manager is constantly monitoring my progress and ensuring I have everything I need to have a successful on boarding process.

Cons

The only issue I have had is not receiving a phone very quickly. Although my laptop was available early on and the set up very quick, I still had quite a wait for my phone.

3. "New joiner 2016"

Current Employee - Corporate FX Dealer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Corporate FX Dealer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Western Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional outfit. Good energy and working atmosphere. Great bunch of people.

Cons

Some of the processes are overtly long and onerous. Two day induction was really a sales course rather than a true induction. Systems and process training is on the job rather than prescribed.

Advice to Management

Proper induction where new joiners meet all the sections involved in the process. Defined systems and process training would assist greatly rather than just learning on the job.

5. "Accounts Payable specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

Pros

Good work environment, great colleagues. Effective employee recognition system

Cons

Because it's such a huge company you don't really feel valuable. Also, it might be because of my job role as it's back office and our job is not as visible as sales guys or BDMs

Advice to Management

Look after your team and don't forget to recognise them

6. "New at Western Union"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Western Union as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Well established and good reputation. Very diverse and operates on a global scale which is good for opportunities and development. I was very pleased to learn there is a platform for women called WU Women which focus on different issues such helping women into leadership positions and in their development journey in general. This is a plus for me as I am passionate about the development of women and the girl child in general. I got excited to think that I can be part of such a big movement as Western Union employee.

Every one is very welcoming, I felt very welcome from day one. The team spirit is amazing and a good environment for learning and development.

Cons

No structured training for new employees, you learn as you go. I felt thrown into a deep end and its an either you sink or swim scenario. This puts a lot of pressure on you as new employee trying to integrate and get used to your new role and different surroundings.

Salary not great at entry level position, but manageable. Extrinsic and intrinsic motivators would help in retaining staff since WU is such a speciality industry.

Advice to Management

Formal training would help new employees integrate effectively and smoothly.
    A structure to assist new employees understand the business in depth would help with understanding your new role and its importance and how it all comes together in a bigger picture.

7. "Business Development Manager"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Western Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A Global Company with a rich history, great staff and a number of great products.
    I Have been employed by Western Union - Business Solutions now for almost two months and coming from out of industry meant a steep learning curve.
    That said the training provided has been next to none. An induction and learning week that was very informative, taught at a level that could be understood by all.

As explained in the induction that the majority of learning will be done actually doing the job, there is alot of availability to shadow meetings and be Shadowed in your own meetings experienced managers. This allows the progression to be consistent through out.

Great Earnings, Car, Laptop, Phone and working from Home whilst being paid generously.

Cons

FX industry is very much like all sales roles. ie Car Sales, Tele Sales so can come with some stigmas from customers, but this can be overcome.

8. "A great company to work for"

Pros

Since starting at WUBS over 12 months ago I have received nothing but support from all departments in helping me reach my personal aspirations. Since joining I have progressed roles and the company have offered multiple channels of training and opportunities to work with experienced employees.

Cons

I have found no cons with working for WUBS and the company can help you if you have the right attitude to succeed.

Advice to Management

All the management are serious about personal development and the culture they create is focused on progressing careers, to make goals attainable.

9. "Great employee centric company."

I have been working at Western Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Real commitment to changing for the better - high performing team environment, plenty of training and support from HR and senior management for personal development. Comfortable environment - not too formal, not stuffy. Purpose driven company with regular global communication on important info and business updates.

Cons

Not seen any in the first 3m...

10. "Western Union Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hammersmith, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hammersmith, England (UK)

I have been working at Western Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, good people in the teams, fun working environment - relaxed atmosphere makes work a lot easier. Strong interest in helping you build your career. Western Union is a great place to work, they provide you with all the training and tools you require to succeed in your career. There is a clear message from the CEO and Senior Management and the staff are really benefiting from this.

Cons

I can not see any negatives.

Western Union Response

Jan 31, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thanks for your review. With a diverse, global company like WU, there are definitely many opportunities for learning and growth in your career.

11. "Great Employer"

I have been working at Western Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive working environment, friendly colleagues and great attitude to work. Relatively new starter to the business but substantial training given and made me feel welcome to the team.

Cons

None seen so far.