Western Washington University Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Western Washington University President Bruce Shepard
Bruce Shepard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Self driven work environment with great opportunities for learning (in 11 reviews)

• Some really great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and unresponsive HR department (in 8 reviews)

• Not enough hours, not a substantial amount but good for a part time gig while in school (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great job for resume building as a student"

Former Employee - Orientation Student Advisor in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Orientation Student Advisor in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Western Washington University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about myself & what I wanted to pursue my degree in when I worked as an Orientation Student Advisor through the New Student Services & Family Outreach Office. They let me work on and off for two years, picking up a few hours a quarter for random events which I thought was awesome. This job specifically looked pretty good on my resume as a recent grad. Plus it was a super fun job and honestly contributed to my overall great experience as a student at WWU.

Cons

Minimum wage, but that is to be expected. Made up for it by offering a lot of paid meals and/or housing.

2. "Employee"

I worked at Western Washington University full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits were very good. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Legacy employees, lack of trust between workers and management. VERY resistant to change or outsiders coming into the university. Need to stop hiring relatives and friends, that is the diversity issue on campus pertaining to employees. Military and Conservatives not welcomed.

Advice to Management

1980's have come and gone, technology is not the enemy. It is ok to let people go if they are not performing as per job description. Move up or move on!

3. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Western Washington University (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, works with your schedule. Understanding staff. Very independent work, hours are recorded independently and tutoring sessions are scheduled between you and student.

Cons

Not enough hours, not a substantial amount but good for a part time gig while in school. You'll get the most work during finals week because everyone waits until the last minute, making tutoring impossible and not worth it.

Advice to Management

Get people to show up for tutoring before they are close to failing a class with only a week left in the quarter

4. "Work Study Student at Digital Media Center"

Former Employee - Digital Media Center Staff in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Digital Media Center Staff in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Western Washington University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You get to work out your hours.
    - Lots of learning opportunities
    -Fun environment
    -Access to a studio
    -Great for resume
    -The boss is kind and fun

Cons

-Like any work study student at WWU, you can only work up to 19hrs a week

Advice to Management

-let students be allowed to work over 19hrs a week because sometimes we want to make up that extra money that we can work up to.

5. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Western Washington University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits such as pension, days off, and pay is good.

Cons

Non-progressive environment, something that should take 1 day takes weeks, political and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Too much to change, it's a lost cause. Stop allowing prior practice to rule decision making.

6. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Western Washington University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money, Balance of life, Flexible schedule

Cons

Not much room for growth

Advice to Management

Live and let live

7. "Former Tutor"

Former Employee - Science Tutor in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Science Tutor in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Western Washington University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supervisors were very understanding of employee difficulties, committed to improving the quality of the services offered by the tutoring center, and devoted to helping their employees succeed after moving on to other jobs. I'm very, very, very glad I worked here.

Cons

You'll get mandatory training about how college is supposed to be a "safe-space" for all fifty-thousand genders.

Advice to Management

With the amount of geology students we get, it might be better to just stop "officially" offering geology than to keep pretending we have enough staff who know geology well enough to do more than help the students flip pages in the workbook.
    Also, as other students have said, stats 240 does not prepare you to tutor stats. 34x are necessary.

8. "Peer Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Aid Peer Advisor in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Peer Advisor in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Western Washington University (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing staff, friendly, easy going boss, talking

Cons

Some students can be a pain

Advice to Management

There is nothing that you need to do!

9. "Great immediate coworkers and supervisor, poor higher level management"

Current Employee - Assistant Resident Director in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Resident Director in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Western Washington University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This position, despite requirements that are constantly in flux, provides a lot of opportunities to acquire professional skills that I would not have gained in other times during my college years. My relationship to my Resident Director and the Resident Advisers is the best part, as staffs work so closely together and grow to depend on and really trust one another. My Resident Director also invested a lot of time in helping me succeed in academics and preparing for post-college life, which has been very helpful.

Cons

The upper administration of this department has a hard time accepting responsibility for its mistakes and too often disregards serious feedback from RAs and ARDs. Especially this year, when there were many incidents that resulted in severely negative outcomes, we saw very little actual change from the higher levels of administration that control systemic change. For me, this directly impacted the community in which I worked, and while the immediate staff was very supportive of one another, the upper administration did not respond appropriately.

Advice to Management

I would like to see urgent changes addressed, like security in Highland and improved diversity trainings for students.

10. "Pays in experience"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer (Associated Students Publicity Center) in Bellingham, WA

Pros

Working as a graphic designer (within the Associated Students), the experience of working on client projects while being a student is very valuable. The hours are flexible and the advisers make good references for post graduate jobs.

Cons

Salaried positions pay less than you can make as an hourly employee, and you may be expected to do more than you are really being paid for. The advisers are also stretched thin between bureaucratic meetings and handling the high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Spend more on professional staff so your advisers aren't stretched so thin