Western & Southern Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Western & Southern Financial Group Chairman, President, and CEO John F. Barrett
John F. Barrett

Pros
Cons
  • Culture not flexible with work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Very conservative company with a strict business dress code, does not offer part time hours, human resources have many out dated policies (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Place for a Career"

Current Employee - Management in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Management in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Western & Southern Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exceptionally strong financials and ratings
    Multi-disciplined family of companies (insurance, investments, real estate, etc.) providing opportunity for exposure and growth
    Strong corporate culture with heavy focus on associate growth and professional development

Cons

If an individual does not find that their personal values align with the corporate culture, he/she may not find the company to be a good match.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your associates through strong career path opportunities, benefits (Pension plan, 401(k) match, fitness center/wellness programs, corporate university, tuition assistance), etc.

"Great place to grow!"

Current Employee - Deposit Operations Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Deposit Operations Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Western & Southern Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am really impressed with the benefits, compensation, and management. I also enjoy the free lunch in our cafeteria! It's nice to get out and walk around downtown on lunch breaks as well.

Cons

I kind of feel stuck in the role I currently have. I am not a salesperson and I don't have an interest in going into a sales driven atmosphere so I worry about calling out with my salary. That is a struggle because I have a disabled husband and two small children.

Advice to Management

I don't have advice for upper management. I have been truly blessed with an amazing manager and an easily accessible senior level manager who checks in regularly on his team.

"Worst company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Western & Southern Financial Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers
    Location
    Free lunch (not the best quality)

Cons

B class management
    Few incentives (bonuses non-existent, tiny merit increases, decreasing benefits (pension, parking-not free), no life/work balance, outdated dress code
    Too conservative (thinking, marketing, dealing with employees)

Advice to Management

Say goodbye to the 50's
    Change leadership-same folks being moved around

"Very conservative, old school"

Former Employee - Marketing in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Western & Southern Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are free parking and free lunch to employees

Cons

Very old school and conservative. Don't be fooled by the free lunch - it's like eating in a school cafeteria. Also, they don't seem to value marketing.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and trust them to do the job they are hired to do.

"Excellent Culture"

Current Employee - Manager, Financial Controls in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager, Financial Controls in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Western & Southern Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great in terms of fostering development for those who seek it. Further, the enterprise is extremely diverse, thus allowing for a multiple career paths. The benefits are competitive to the rest of the industry, plus there is a defined benefit pension plan.

Cons

At times projects move slowly as a result of a lack of urgency throughout the enterprise. This mentality is being combated by senior management. There is also a heavy focus on rewarding loyalty vs performance which is evident in the compensation structure.

Advice to Management

I would like to see management challenge the way things have been done in the past to make way for efficiencies gained through technology.

"Currently Employed and Happy!"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Riverside, CA

Pros

Some of the very best benefits all around and great upper management to work with.

Cons

Too much turn over in the financial services industry.

Advice to Management

Take a look at why new hires do not last over 12 months and determine how to keep them onboard

"Know what you are getting into"

Former Employee - Marketing & Digital in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing & Digital in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Western & Southern Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is stable with good benefits.

Cons

It may not seem like a big deal to wear a suit every day, cover tattoos, have hair only in color found in nature, avoid colored hosiery for women, no sandels, work in the office a minimum of 50 hours, never take a personal email or log onto your online backing from your work PC or any of the other myriad of small ways Western & Southern proves it doesn't trust you. It may not seem like a big deal going in. But coming out . . . . . you feel like you've worn a pair of shoes that have been too tight. This company NEED to change and grow but because it is personality driven that change will not happen soon.

Special warning to persons of color, LGBTQIA or people who don't easily fit in the majority culture. Be expected to assimilate.

Advice to Management

Join the new millennium

"micromanagement of employees"

Former Employee - Imaging Transaction Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Imaging Transaction Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Western & Southern Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits: 401k, Health insurance, and pto

Cons

Management, old school thinking, good old boy's club, Senior management played favorites with employees, lack of diversity, believes micromanaging employees. A very stressful environment to work in, especially as a minority. Pay was slow to increase.

Advice to Management

Put more experienced people in manager positions. Create a more diverse work force and provide better training for managers for roles in leadership. Also don't give people positions because their father or mother is a VP.

10. "Financial rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Western & Southern Financial Group full-time

Pros

Friendly work environment, helpful administrative staff, good benefits.

Cons

Management support non existent. Too little too late.

Advice to Management

Pay your managers better guarantees.

11. "Successful Company with Limited Expansion"

Current Employee - Actuarial Assistant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Actuarial Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Western & Southern Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong financial securities company with admirable ethics and a good focus on its employees

Cons

Very conservative company with limited opportunities for collaboration and interaction within the department.