Westinghouse Lighting Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Raymond Angelo

1. "Full Time Assistant"

Pros

Very Flexible, It was great experience

Cons

Not confident in the Sr Management, and poor communication.

2. "Bad management"

I worked at Westinghouse Lighting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours were 8-4:30. Two 15 minute breaks and a 1/2 hour lunch. Some people were very nice. It is a very small company and privately owned.

Cons

Micromanaging is very prevalent at this company. It's very unnecessary as the people in the positions should be trusted to do their jobs. There is a lot of gossiping which leads to uncomfortable situations for those not involved. Due to the micromanaging and the gossiping along with favoritism displayed by upper management, it drains the morale of the employees. No raises.

Advice to Management

Your management team should attend some leadership training.

3. "Nice company"

Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Westinghouse Lighting full-time

Pros

Small company feel; Can make an impact in the right role. Generally nice culture among the employees and a nice place to work.

Cons

Typical cons for smaller company, lighter on some benefits and sometimes less chance for growth. Stiff competition in the market for some products.

"OK for a job, but not for career development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Seemed to be a solid company if you are just looking for a job/paycheck. Most of the staff ate very friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

Very difficult company yo learn anything new. Upper management is very detached from the workforce so they are not well connected to the challenges at lower levels in the company. No career paths or training is readily apparent. Seems good talent moves on once this is realized.

Advice to Management

Integrate with the staff more. Make the effort to identify high potential talent and cultivate them. They can represent a key link to communicating with the workforce now and they may be the next generation of upper management in the future.

"A welcoming summer internship where I gained valuable experience"

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Westinghouse is a great place to work because the management is welcoming and committed to the company's goals. They recognize that the best way to achieve these goals is to have the best employees, so the environment encourages learning, motivation and open communication.

Cons

Some may feel that the small size of the company allows little room for upward mobility. Additionally, some employees lack passion for their work.

7. "A company ready for growth!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

I think Westinghouse Lighting is a great place to work. I have been a long time employee and I have seen this company change to meet the needs of today's business environment. There are a lot of great things going on here and the company is ready for growth. After careful consideration and good look at the market place, I chose to continue my career at Westinghouse. I love the people and I love the company.

Cons

As the company transitions for growth, the changes are challenging for some people. However, the company is committed to its employees and has an open-door policy to discuss concerns and to inspire new job opportunites for everyone.

Advice to Management

Change is hard but necessary. Stay focused and on course!

8. "Purchase Manager"

Current Employee - Purchase Manager in Panamá (Panama)
    Current Employee - Purchase Manager in Panamá (Panama)

I have been working at Westinghouse Lighting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good communication with the other countries .

Cons

There is no defined vision and mission of company.
    Mismanagement.

9. "Don't work here. Good people in the bottom trenchs doing all the work and no credit for it. 5 years and no raises."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Mönchengladbach (Germany)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Mönchengladbach (Germany)

Pros

I can't think of one. Management is very incapable. Family owned business. Relatives kept on when they don't know what they are doing.

Cons

Management was the worst. They never had any communication with the employees except to say that they wouldn't get any raises that year again. European operations had no handbook either and they would make rules up to suit whatever mood they were in. US operations didn't know what the other hand was doing. Please don't work for these people they will use you and spit you out. Employees were treated like children, 7 people in my office and 4 were bosses, you can see how lopsided it was. When employees are crying because of being verbally abused almost weekly, and HR is not trusted, it is an employees nightmare.

Advice to Management

I liked Mr. Ray Angelo. I met him on a few occasions. I think that they need to look at their management style and the way that they treat the employees. I know alot of unhappy people who work for them. Even the son left the company to go to Phillips.