Westinghouse Mechanical Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
José Emeterio Gutiérrez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance can be challenging depending on what group you are in (in 34 reviews)

• Upper management like our Human resources did not help us when it came yo problem co workers (in 52 reviews)

1. "Automation"

Former Contractor - Mechanical Engineer in Jenkinsville, SC
    Former Contractor - Mechanical Engineer in Jenkinsville, SC

I worked at Westinghouse as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

- One can move up in the company or at least secure employment by providing value and working hard (my original 9 month contract turned into 62 months before I voluntarily left).
    - Management is laid back
    - Westinghouse allowed me to create, use, and share efficiency tools, while companies like Bechtel and Shaw preferred to do things the way they had been doing things for 30 years.
    - As a Contractor, I was made to feel very welcome and part of the team.
    - Lead Roles tend to be filled by knowledgeable and capable individuals. I, at least, had great Leads at both HQ and VC Summer
    - Game room in the basement with couches and TV
    - Safety strongly encouraged, as it should be in Nuclear Industry
    - Great pay

Cons

- One can move up in the company or maintain an elevated position whether they provide value or work at all.
    - Management is laid back
    - Health and wellness overly promoted at Cranberry office. Hypocrites put french fries on the salad and give vending machine discounts for "sugar-free" drinks and "fat-free" snacks. Obviously, nobody up there has seen what aspartame does to a mouse. Get some Paleo snacks up in there; I'm talking jerky, nuts, seeds, and water!
    - Game room TV and couch on lock by facilities guy watching Jerry Springer.

Advice to Management

Open your minds to more creative solutions. Develop more of your own software to automate all the time-killing, money-wasting tasks. There is so much potential to have your different databases talk to each other. By developing your own software and customizing your databases to collect and report specific information, one could automate tracking, metrics, generation of sharepoint items and much more. These tools would create consistency across the organization and consistency bares efficiency.
    I would also like to see more Managers, Directors, VPs, and Executives step aside when they see that their way of doing things isnt working. There was a time when honorable men could recognize that someone else could do their job better, and they got out of the way. If you suck, then move on, do better, or try a different tactic.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, the people of WEC are excellent to work with and pay/benefits aren't bad.

Cons

Coordination between functions/departments has been challenging to say the least. Upper management is struggling to keep this company afloat. They can't stay with a plan long enough to make anything stick and, at best, have become knee-jerk reactive instead of proactive while believing the brand name will save them. You never know what will happen from one day to the next which has created a culture of distrust among the masses.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Your coworkers
    -Checks still clear, good pay
    -3 weeks vacation to start

Cons

-Terrible mismanagement
    -Too much red tape and time wasted with mountains of regulations
    -No opportunities for growth or development
    -Failing industry that does not look to improve any time soon

Advice to Management

Clean house and remove the mountain of mid-level managers that contribute no value to the company. Show some respect and appreciation for your employees who are paying your ridiculously high salaries and continue to make this company function. Do away with "Casual Overtime" and actually compensate people fairly.

"I am Finally in and Severely Dissapointed"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The industry standard, Time is flexible

Cons

Unpaid overtime, Bankruptcy, Uncertain future employment, Safety culture worse than expected

Advice to Management

Save money by firing the Bobs and increase moral.

"Grand Ideas, Poor Execution"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer I in Jenkinsville, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer I in Jenkinsville, SC

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people who are trying hard to deliver a good product. Ok benefits, ok pay.

Cons

No raises this year due to bankruptcy. Annual review process is a joke. Most managers are clueless. No clear path to advancement. WECTEC employees treated as second-hand, not as part of the global Westinghouse family.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the current management down to the current manager level. Selectively keep some managers, but overall streamline the layers of management.

6. "Great challenging place to work."

Current Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA
    Current Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to solve challenging technical problems and the occupation is fulfilling knowing that I am helping to provide the world with clean safe electric power. If you can handle the stress you will be well taken care of here.

Cons

The nuclear industry isn't for everyone, the highly regulated environment requires significant attention to detail, much time working against real deadlines requiring extra effort, and the analysis methods are a bit behind the times.

Advice to Management

Continue to break down organizational silos and maximize utilization of experienced mentors to educate the up and coming generation of engineers for continued reduction in inefficiencies due to learning curves associated with level of experience.

7. "Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Cranberry, PA
    Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Cranberry, PA

I worked at Westinghouse as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities in Cranberry
    Decent pay

Cons

When I was there they were going through a lot of cutbacks and layoffs

"Rogue managers under the radar."

Former Employee - Principal Mechanical/Project/Manufacturing Engineer in Ogden, UT

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The companies traditions and technology are genuine.

Cons

New innocations are needed and less cronism. Company foundation is crumbling. Many managers don't walk the talk. Lack of sincerity. I was released due to personality and contrived hollow performance excuses by less qualified managers when I had 23 years of service as a licensed engineer at Western Zirconium (Utah). They always say "Our people are our most important asset." BS. Don't believe anything they say. Stay away due to lower level management insecurities. Too much Human Performance Tool (HuP) excuses to hide technical incapabilities. The mismanagement of the AP-1000 program and the financial losses along with the Fukushima accident impacts to the industry have created an untenable situation for the corporate leadership. WEC If Westinghouse Electric Corp (WEC) stock was still traded on the US exchanges, many austerity and financial corrections would not work withot stock holder backlash. It is owned by Toshiba. I hope they discover these rogue managers and clean house.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Look at the motives and practices of your remote and middle managers.

"Contractor"

Former Employee - Staff Mechanical Engineer in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Former Employee - Staff Mechanical Engineer in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location; great employees/coworkers; great compensation if direct hire; flexible hours.

Cons

Fasing our contractors; company only hires referrals and previous interns.

"Below average"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For young engineers just graduating college, westinghouse is a good place to start. There are a lof of smart people to learn from.

Cons

Chaotic place. Small raises (0-2%), no bonuses (unless you are a manager), poor overtime policy (first 8 hrs/ week are not paid), limited promotions based on who you know. Very limited opportunities for growth. Technical expertise is not valued.

Advice to Management

Managers / directors constantly changing.