Westinghouse Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

2.0
José Emeterio Gutiérrez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance can be challenging depending on what group you are in (in 34 reviews)

• Upper management like our Human resources did not help us when it came yo problem co workers (in 52 reviews)

"Former employee"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cranberry Township, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cranberry Township, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most employees are hardworking, dedicated and great to work with. But like any company, there’s always a few who can be difficult.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch. Directives are never completely articulated.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little guy who actually has to work directly with the directives you dictate.

"Bad management"

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pays good, clean working environment. The work is not hard labor.

Cons

Hard to balance work and personal life. There's too many managers and supervisors.

Advice to Management

There's too much management.

3. "Overall a Good Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are professional and respectful. The work is interesting and challenging. The current CEO has done reasonably well under the circumstances. I recommend this to someone who needs a job and is willing to accept limited career advancement in the short term.

Cons

Unfortunately, poor management decisions have put the company in bankruptcy. Senior management is below average. This makes the current environment challenging. Career opportunities are temporarily limited until Westinghouse emerges from bankruptcy.

4. "Principal Welding Engineer"

Former Freelancer - Principal Welding Engineer in Blairsville, PA
    Former Freelancer - Principal Welding Engineer in Blairsville, PA

I worked at Westinghouse (Less than a year)

Pros

ASME Experience
    Practical Welding Experience
    Communication Skills
    Personal Skills
    Cost Savings

Cons

Time management
    Up-Front involvement
    Critical path management

Advice to Management

Safety First
    Quality
    Work Friendly
    Trust

"Westinghouse - great workers, lousy leadership, questionable practices"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- most of the non-management personnel are talented and hard-working
    - variety of challenging opportunities
    - pay and benefits

Cons

- much of leadership (aka, mgmt), especially at senior levels, are poor decision makers and divorced from knowing what's truly in the best interest of the company and customers
    - tail wags the dog (aka, HR and legal have too much sway over technical groups in terms of business decisions)
    - "do as I say, not as I do" mindset, especially when it comes to work environment priorities and practices (i.e. mgmt preaches safety then quality the production but in reality production is priority #1)
    - lack of rigorous and effective change implementation processes

Advice to Management

- for crying out loud, walk the talk when it comes to priorities, values, culture
    - eliminate the good ol' boy networks and bias, especially in making personnel decisions
    - use more disciplined and open approaches for decision making

"administrative technician"

Former Employee - Administrative Technician in Madison, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Technician in Madison, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

i enjoyed my position and the variety of work kept me very busy. The company has been around for a long time and the pay is good.

Cons

Westinghouse is currently going through a bankruptcy and they are laying off employees. There is a lot of job elimination and moving around of employees and managers.

"Solid Foundation - Excellent for your Resume"

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are the type to make your own career path, there are seemingly endless opportunities to grow your knowledge and skills, while fighting for improvement of the business. On your resume in the nuclear world, Westinghouse holds some serious weight, so if you stick it out for a while and amass a few accomplishments along the way, despite Westinghouse's reasonably good compensation, you'll be in for a nice pay hike at the next employer. As the bankruptcy comes to a close, the remaining business will be a cash-flow positive service , fuel, and equipment supplier that makes hundreds of millions of dollars before income taxes. The company will bounce back, and people who are sticking through the rough times will likely get promoted out of a process of elimination in some cases.
    Jose Emeterio Gutierrez Elso is a fine example of a human being and a leader who is faced with a tough set of often ambiguous choices to make. To the extent that he can make certain choices without the company's ownership structure forcing his hand, I strongly believe he is working to make Westinghouse a better and more supportive organization to its employees.

Cons

The office culture in HQ declined from 2012-2017. Nowhere to go but up.
    Benefits declined from 2012-2017. But that seems to be the way of large corporations these days.
    Bureaucracy is suffocating.
    Someone's compensation within their pay band is more correlated with their age than their contribution/effectiveness in their job role -- so young career climbers are systematically below the 25th percentile of their pay band and can get significant raises by leaving the company. Those who remain are the risk-averse, non-entrepreneurial types who are happy with the status quo because it has served them well.
    HR has made the art of managing people feel a lot less personal, and more formal. I agree that HR needs to help protect the company from employment lawsuits, but managing people is an inherently human activity -- to which the humanity needs to be restored.
    When a private equity firm buys the company out of bankruptcy, it is unlikely that things will get better for the lower level management and the employees in the short term. Life is short. Want to be miserable for 5 more years while things get better, or do you think somewhere else might make you hate your life less during those 5 years, then entertain the thought of going back?
    The way the company is working right now, your Manager/Director/VP who has 50 hours of meetings on their schedule really doesn't have the time to really care for you anyway. You can't even really blame them. They have families that miss them too. It's an overly constrained problem.

Advice to Management

I know many of you are working diligently to get the company back on its feet. Try to maintain your humanity in the process. Let go of egos. Cooperate; don't compete with each other. Let that attitude flow down. Reduce your meeting schedule so you can be real with your employees. Empower your employees. Read a few notable quotes from George Westinghouse and try to embody his attitude.

8. "My time with Westinghouse was favorable considering the size of the company."

Former Employee - Sourcing Lead in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Former Employee - Sourcing Lead in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Westinghouse employment offered many perks and opportunities including excellent benefits, on-site employee services (cafeteria, gym, game room, dry cleaner, child care).

Cons

Working at Westinghouse often felt like being a little fish in a huge tumultuous ocean. It often took what felt like forever to get anything done.

Advice to Management

Give employees more autonomy. Remove barriers to employees being able function efficiently.

"Can't please everyone!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranberry Township, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranberry Township, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, new CEO is excellent - he trusts employees and is a genuine leader. New HR leader is also a welcome change from the past. Reinstating much-deserved incentives. Plans for increased flexible work arrangements.
    Removed most of the poor leadership from the past and looking forward to getting out from Toshiba ownership who pushed us to where we ended up.

Cons

Yes, there are layoffs. Unlike previous reviewers, you have to understand that a business must make difficult decisions to be well-positioned for the future. We have had too many employees with too low of productivity for too long. This is all due to the previous CEO who tried to come in and run us like GE and over-promise things. That is not the case with the leadership now. They are doing all the right things to get us out of that past and move along. Yes, that meant filing Ch. 11 to end bad contracts and allow for reorganization. Yes, that means some layoffs, not massive by any means. In regards to another reviewer, the ONLY ones done by seniority are union positions, a minority of employees, and that is due to the collective bargaining agreement for those admin and technician positions that those employees knew from the start.
    We still have too many processes and hope to see that improve.

Advice to Management

Our newest leaders, continue on the path you are on. Recognize and reward your employees that are sticking with you in uncertain times.

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Pay is good in general for the Pittsburgh area
    - Work is interesting for engineers
    - Decent exercise facilities

Cons

- Project management is atrociously ineffective, especially at higher levels
    - Managers are young and inexperienced. The first line manager job is tough, and few qualified people would ever take the job. The result is, well, about what you'd expect...
    - Benefits get slowly clawed back with little fanfare, in hopes that employees won't notice.

Advice to Management

People who work at Westinghouse nuclear are not morons. Treat them like morons, insult their intelligence, and lie blatantly to their faces all you want, though --- results may vary.