Westinghouse Principal Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

1.9
José Emeterio Gutiérrez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • poor work/life balance (saturdays and late nights) (in 29 reviews)

• Trust in upper management is non-existing throughout the company (in 42 reviews)

"Retiree"

Former Employee - Principal Quality Engineer in Cranberry, PA
    Former Employee - Principal Quality Engineer in Cranberry, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great technical staff in the core.

Cons

Management with heads in the sand.

Advice to Management

Resign before it is too late. Engineers cannot run a business. WEC has never built any structures, just equipment. Stick with what WEC does best.

"Not getting better"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The paychecks clear, the lights are on, potential to change with new owners (hopefully!), Industry leading company (for now at least)

Cons

Management at this company is terrible. The employer morale could not be any lower. Every person I work with is looking to leave as soon as they can.

The new COO is a joke. He spent half his introductory talk about himself and how hard it was for him to decide to stay at Westinghouse. Turns out he's getting paid over $2m a year. Tough choice right?

So what does the COO do? Reorganize! They spent the past 4 years telling us how the new org layout is for the best. Now it's crappy and didn't work.

Advice to Management

I know management reads Glassdoor. Commit to the change. You folks ran this company into the ground. Maybe it's time to step aside.

"QA Principal Engineer"

Current Employee - Principal QA Engineer in Waynesboro, GA
    Current Employee - Principal QA Engineer in Waynesboro, GA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great benefits and some of the people are upstanding professionals and I would work with them anywhere.

Cons

Old company set in their ways and not able to embrace the need to change and remove the "good ol' boys".

Advice to Management

Advance people based on ability and experience and not on friendship. Hire from outside to keep the management "fresh" and breakup the military management style.

"Really sad"

Current Employee - Principal Field Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people with a great work ethic in OPB. Pay is ok for the area

Cons

Upper management is clueless. Toshiba is clueless. Management claims they have plans to make Westinghouse a great place to work again and the employees should trust them. The problem is that all the people they put in place to fix the issue are the same idiots that got us into this. The word on the street is a Westinghouse "Yahtzee" put all the names in a cup and throw them on the table. Move them to different titles and that will fix it. If you keep the same morons making the same decisions but with different titles you will get the same results. Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over an expecting a different result.

Advice to Management

I have no advise. They just need to leave or put in jail. $6.5 billion really???? Hope d-rod and his band of misfits got what they wanted. A great Pittsburgh company that will no longer exist. I believe that was the intent.

"will overcome"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with, good salary, nice environment

Cons

Nuclear industry itself is getting down after Fukushima and low gas price so Westinghouse is also getting down.... Due to delays of works... there were mendatory overtime without compensation.

6. "Great challenging place to work."

Current Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA
    Current Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to solve challenging technical problems and the occupation is fulfilling knowing that I am helping to provide the world with clean safe electric power. If you can handle the stress you will be well taken care of here.

Cons

The nuclear industry isn't for everyone, the highly regulated environment requires significant attention to detail, much time working against real deadlines requiring extra effort, and the analysis methods are a bit behind the times.

Advice to Management

Continue to break down organizational silos and maximize utilization of experienced mentors to educate the up and coming generation of engineers for continued reduction in inefficiencies due to learning curves associated with level of experience.

"All Hands. Abandon Ship"

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A nice facility. Westinghouse will likely soon be sharing it with some other company.

Cons

The theme for the Valentine’s Day all-employee meeting was a ship in choppy waters.
    The name of the ship was Wizard, although I suspect Edmund Fitzgerald might have been a better choice. The concept is that if we all work together as “One Westinghouse”, we can sail through the storm to safety.

A few months ago, the in-vogue slogan was “raising the bar”. Now it’s all about “barring the raise”.

I’ve worked here a long time, and I really wish I could see the argument for long-term optimism. I cannot. The numbers just don’t add up. Toshiba is in deep financial trouble. IHI is unloading its 3% of Westinghouse back onto Toshiba soon, and Kazakhstan can unload its 10% in October. Toshiba doesn’t have the $6B needed to finish the plants, and will have to sell its “crown jewels” or deeply mortgage its future to raise the money.

The scary part of all this is that the same leaders who steered us into those choppy waters remain on the bridge of our ship. AREVA self-destructed while building their new reactor design. It didn’t occur to our leaders that the same might happen to Westinghouse? They couldn’t read the reports from the analysts in Georgia and South Carolina? They don’t know the problems Westinghouse had building turn-key plants in the 1960s? They could not do due diligence when buying out CB&I? Do they believe in Peter Pan’s Tinkerbell and in wishing really, really hard?

How on earth can Toshiba continue to trust these leaders? Are the problems all their fault? No. But they are paid to anticipate trouble, not to stick their heads in the sand until the financial fire singes their tail feathers.

Even the money-making fuel and service parts of Westinghouse are going to take a big hit. Utilities can’t change their fuel and services vendor overnight, but the financial instability of Westinghouse will make them receptive to other vendors. There is no viable growth path.

If you work at Westinghouse today, and are not retirement eligible, start looking for a new job. If you are looking for a new job, do not even think of joining Westinghouse.

Advice to Management

Put a slip, trip, and fall simulator in the cafeteria. When Danny isn’t busy trying to justify his deal making to the lawyers, make him use it.

"Old company, new market"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cranberry, PA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cranberry, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary. Good building, cafeteria, etc. Very many good people.

Cons

Old monopoly business thinking. Slow to adjust to changing nuclear market. Reactive mentality rather than planning and improving. Slow or inept at bringing technology solutions into work products. Brute force human labor is used in place of modern approaches at the expense of quality and price to the customer (monopoly). Corporate inbreeding... little contact with the outside.

Advice to Management

Challenge yourselves to truly imagine where you can be, where your competitors were already long ago. Make a plan to get there and hold people accountable for executing it. For goodness sake get some outside perspective. The company is large and stays very insular. Stop asking the people that created the problems and made a career of maintaining broken conditions to fix it. You must think (and organize) differently to fix the problem than you did when you created the problem.
    Find out how competitors do it. Find out how NEW companies do it. Bring outside people in to make real change. Break up the old clubs. Make the hard choices now because hard times ARE still to come. This company is not as lean as it thinks.

"Front line management is killing this company"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good location. Nice building.

Cons

There are, unfortunately, several. They have slowly removed the perks that previously made this a great company to work for while placing more and more demands on the employees. Front line managers place far too much emphasis on metrics (e.g. monthly 'human performance' observations) that add no value to anything and distract from the engineer's duty to provide sound technical answers to our customers.

Advice to Management

The problems are so engrained in the culture that we're way past a 'simple course correction' if things are going to improve in the long run. Front line managers need to be held to a much higher standard and the metrics used to evaluate them need to be completely revisited.

"Principal Engineer"

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My desk chair swivels. A few good coworkers. Free toilet paper (for now). Starbucks in the cafeteria. Nice big windows s let in a lot of natural light. Paychecks cash.

Cons

No training; fear culture regarding hours in the building and parking lot rules; employees treated like kindergarteners instead of professionals; No advancement unless you are hand picked; management sends out dumb-down emails using football analogies so us lowly employees can understand. The "safety" culture is so over done they lose sight of what we're trying to accomplish. Honestly, in my 20 yrs of working, this place is the worst. And I'm not even disgruntled. Have to bring your own Kleenex and they cut janitorial services to save money. How hard pressed is this place if we can't even empty the trash.

Advice to Management

Good engineers don't always make good managers. Bring in someone who knows how to actually run a business and leaders who know how to take care of people.