Westlake Chemical Reviews

3.9
Westlake Chemical President and CEO Albert Chao
Albert Chao
Pros
Cons
  • "There are no cons for the place(in 6 reviews)

• "No more 9/80s or work from home days so work life balance took a major hit(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lake Charles, LA

I have been working at Westlake Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Employees care about safety and work/life balance -Company seems healthy financially -CEO and upper management are willing to invest in the company's long-term performance -Competitive pay

Cons

-9/80s were recently discontinued -Most production facilities are far from major cities

Westlake Chemical

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback and for the contribution you make to Westlake's success.

2. "Avoid the QA/QC lab in Longview Texas."

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Longview, TX

I worked at Westlake Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay and the people you work with

Cons

Management, Benefits, Management, Supervisors, Management. Benefit cutbacks, Workload on lower staff to include HR duties

Westlake Chemical

We know that the relationship between a manager and their team is of utmost importance. We never want to lose tenured employees and take this feedback very seriously.

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - A/R Clerk II

I have been working at Westlake Chemical full-time for more than a year

Pros

Schedule, benefits, job duties, and everything in between

Cons

There are no cons here

Westlake Chemical

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. We are glad to hear you are enjoying your role within Westlake and we appreciate your contributions!

"overwhelming"

Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Longview, TX

I worked at Westlake Chemical full-time

Pros

progressive company that works to improve

Cons

way to chaotic work environment with excessive hour and stress

Westlake Chemical

Thank you for the feedback. We know that the demands of professional life may be overwhelming at times and that work-life balance is important to our employees. Westlake offers flexible work options for a large population of employees and participation does vary by department. If you felt like you had no work-life balance we genuinely hope that you took time to sit down and discuss the situation with your manager to see what could have be done to help.

5. "Great work with great experiences"

Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Lodi, CA

I have been working at Westlake Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great pay, strong management, high moral from the production teams

Cons

lack of growth within the company, top out on pay quickly

Westlake Chemical

Thank you for the feedback and for being a dedicated employee over the last 5+ years!

6. "Great place"

Current Employee - Senior Telecom Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Westlake Chemical full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

great place to work great company

Cons

run lean on staff but not a stressful

Westlake Chemical

Thank you for the feedback and for your continued contribution towards Westlake's success!

7. "Great job"

Current Employee - Utility in Natrium, WV

I have been working at Westlake Chemical full-time for less than a year

Pros

Safety is number one and the people all care about each other getting the job done.

Cons

Benefits could be better and job bids posted faster.

"Female employees are overworked and underpaid"

1.0
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Westlake Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Professional development consists of cheap online training courses and maybe a supervisor training that you have to take but your manager is probably exempt from taking (for no good reason) Medical benefits are decent, but if you go on maternity leave, your job might not be there when you get back unless you agree to work while you are on leave. Competitive salary (if you are male) 401K is probably the only benefit that is the same for both men and women (seriously)

Cons

Female employees are worked to the bone and are on call 24-7 even if they are pregnant or on maternity leave. Flexible scheduling does not exist in any real form. Be prepared to choose work over family. Moving up is extremely difficult, especially if you are a woman. If you do become a female Manager even after years of dedicated service, you will still be called out in meetings and over group emails by your male counterparts, and their behavior will be explained as “old school”. Any complaints to HR will be pushed under the rug or you will be pushed out. Female employees of the same grade and experience level make 1/3 of what their male counterparts make. The only female managers who can survive are the ones who succeed in ousting anyone who gets in their way. The work environment is ridiculously stressful and no, it doesn’t get better over time.

Westlake Chemical

Westlake takes your concerns very seriously, and we would like the opportunity to speak with you as soon as possible. Westlake is committed to providing a work environment where employees feel they are being treated with dignity and respect. Westlake does not tolerate discrimination in any unlawful form, including on the basis of gender, pregnancy, leave status, or any other legally protected characteristic. We strongly encourage you to contact Carol Temescu, Director – Talent Management, or Brea May, HRBP Manager, to discuss the concerns you’ve raised in this review. You may also contact another Human Resources representative, or report your concerns through the EthicsPoint Hotline (either by telephone or online, and anonymously if you prefer) or by contacting a member of Westlake’s Legal Department. More information about using any of these reporting avenues, as well as Westlake’s Equal Employment Opportunity and Harassment Prevention Policy, is located on Westlake’s intranet. Please contact us so we may investigate your allegations and take any appropriate corrective action.

9. "Westlake Chemical QA/QC"

4.0
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in Geismar, LA

I worked at Westlake Chemical full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Interesting projects and very good compensation.

Cons

Work-life balance, management spread too thin, a lot of inefficiencies.

"Beware HR's False advertising"

2.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Westlake Chemical full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly stable company although stock prices have dropped almost 50% since last year

Cons

- Not a progressive company at all. Very old school and authoritarian mentality. Still operates like a private mom and pop shop company. - Beware HR who falsely advertise the company and benefits etc. to bring in good candidates, but once you get in things are different. No 9/80 or work from home for managers and up any more. - Communication is poor and there is no company culture to speak of. - Very cheap and not willing to spend money to invest in people, proper technology or infrastructure

Westlake Chemical

Since Westlake was started more than 30 years ago, we have fostered a culture upon the ideal of “family”. Several things have marked our success – remaining vigilant regarding safety, the reliable operation of our facilities, being opportunistic about our strategic investments, improving efficiencies and reducing costs. Westlake had record results in 2018 and in this current year we have faced an increasingly competitive market. Despite low crude oil prices, international trade tensions and weakness in the Asian and global economies, many of our plants operated well and we saw solid demand for our products. At the beginning of 2019, senior management reviewed the existing flexible work arrangements, in order to evaluate both their utility and impact on both employees and the business. Given the growth of both scope and complexity of Westlake’s business, and in order to always be prepared to respond to the external challenges we face, the flexible work arrangement policy was changed for Manager level and above. Many employees are not impacted by this change and all flexible work options remain available for a large segment of the population. Our recruiters are always open and honest with all candidates in regards to the applicable benefits for each specific role at the time they are recruited. All employees located in Houston have access to over 25 instructor-led courses available each year and more than 6,500 online training modules accessible at any time. There are also ongoing technology and infrastructure enhancements throughout Westlake Chemical and our affiliate companies. We appreciate you sharing your feedback and concerns. We certainly do not want any of our employees to have a negative outlook on the company and invite you to sit down with your manager or Human Resources Business Partner to discuss your concerns in-depth.

Found 72 reviews