Westlake Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Westlake Services Chairman Don Hankey
Don Hankey

Pros
Cons
  • probably improve work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Low pay and somewhat mundane work (in 7 reviews)

1. "Launch your career at Westlake!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Westlake Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, forward thinking, fast paced company that is growing fast and welcomes new talent. It is a large company, however the President and upper management still interact with all levels of staff. It is a great place to launch a career. There is also an ons-site gym, and promotion of healthy lifestyle.

Cons

The PTO accurals are only 2 weeks / year for salary employees until the 5th year when they max at 3 weeks / year.

Advice to Management

Increase PTO, and business casual dress code on Fridays.

"Dealer Account Manager"

I worked at Westlake Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have a oppotunity to learn about the industry a bit.

Cons

Excessive favoritism to a specific group/race. position is named "Account Manager" It's not, It's a telemarketing and it's ran like a boiler room. Extremely high turnover & a very wide open revolving door.

Advice to Management

Advice to owner, Get rid of narcissit & Womanizers.

3. "Stable company in an unstable industry"

Current Employee - Dealer Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Dealer Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Westlake Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home (dealer account managers) and comfort in knowing you work for a stable auto lender.

Cons

Metro Atlanta is a tough market no matter what auto finance company you work for.

Advice to Management

None I can think of...

"It was a rollercoaster."

I worked at Westlake Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While at Westlake you have the opportunity to grow and make money. If you're willing to work yourself to the bone.

Cons

Working at Westlake you don't end up with one job; you end up having to become an analyst, a verifier, sometimes even customer support.
    The communication within the company is very minimal and creates much confusion.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, you'll have growing pains. Don't make dealers pay for our mistakes.

"An excellent starting point"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Westlake Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Provides good, fast progression if you're willing to prove yourself
    -Offers work opportunities even if you have little prior work experience. If there is any major benefit of working here is that they will give you the experience you need that other companies might not for those with little experience (e.g. recent college grads).
    -Transferable skills that make it easy to find another job once you're ready to progress towards higher goals
    -Some nice perks, especially getting a company Metro pass/TAP card
    -Amiable work environment and most supervisors are helpful and friendly
    -very accessible by public transit and located in a nice part of West Los Angeles

Cons

-Low pay compared to similar jobs in other companies. If you have years experience in finance, *look elsewhere* so you can be paid appropriately.
    -Benefits cost significantly more compared to other companies; the costs are close to paying for your own insurance
    -Dismal inter-department communication
    -The only opportunities for good pay lie solely in collections & sales. If your experience lies in service, quality assurance, training, etc. there are far more lucrative opportunities out there
    -Turnover is very high. I have worked in my team for just under a year and am already its senior member. This makes for some issues in stability, especially when many of your coworkers will quit within their first year to find better paying jobs.

Advice to Management

It's hard to be proud of a company that boasts astronomical profits and growth while simultaneously underpaying its employees and offering benefits that are substantially more expensive than what other companies in the industry offer. If these two issues could be fixed, turnover might not be so high.

6. "Great meritocracy to thrive in"

Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Westlake Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth here is high, as long as you are patient and can quickly demonstrate an ability to work independently and can prove out your results.

Cons

Formalized movement can take a while to take place. Benefits are also substandard, especially for Sr management positions.

Advice to Management

Put in place more consistent associate development roadmaps - keep employees engaged with stretch quarterly goals.

"Misleading"

Current Employee - Dealer Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Dealer Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Westlake Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dealing with the dealership's is always a pleasure. Aside from that employee relationships. not too much more than that besides the paid training in Los Angeles

Cons

Office politics never surrenders. Management and upper management can be very unprofessional. It's not worth the effort for a eight hour work schedule. They will sell you false dreams.

8. "Ann"

Current Employee - verifer in Paramount, CA
    Current Employee - verifer in Paramount, CA

I have been working at Westlake Services (More than a year)

Pros

Westlake has been a great company, very well paced friendly people.

Cons

The down side has to be certain managers/supervisors who feel tbey have power to control you.

9. "Servicing Supervisor"

Former Employee - Servicing Supervisor in Upland, CA
    Former Employee - Servicing Supervisor in Upland, CA

I worked at Westlake Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The agents were the best people and worked hard on a daily basis

Cons

Processes were never clear cut and always resorted back to the old way of doing things

Advice to Management

To ensure the proper management was in the right department at all times

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Westlake Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are few and far between. The best thing I could say about working for Westlake is that every so often they bring in food trucks on Fridays.

Cons

First, Westlake claims to care about their employees. This is false. They have multiple offices, but if you work in one away from the corporate office in LA, the company treats you as if you don't even exist.

Second, they hide their true policies regarding ESOP plans and PTO. They do not pay out PTO, even if you give a two weeks notice that you work. This is a choice on their part. I worked for them for over a year and a half, only taking off a couple hours here and their for doctor's appointments, and my hard work and loyalty to the company was not rewarded. When I left, they chose not to pay out my 43 hours of PTO/sick time I had chosen not to use to provide hard work to the company.

Finally, outside of IT, the managers are brutal. In any department. They require 200% of your effort to get the job done, but micromanage your every minute of the day and write you up when you are unable to complete daily tasks because you were stuck in their meetings or trainings.

Advice to Management

Advice to management? Go back to school and learn how to manage. Starting from the top, down. It is clear to most employees that you only care about your huge paychecks and not your employees. One of my driving factors to leave was my knowledge how little this company actually cared about me. Your (sketchy) auto loans may bring money in, but without good, reputable employees, you will have no one to get those loans, or provide any other services to your customers or internal employees. I truly wish there was an option lower than one star here, because Westlake does not deserve even one.