Westminster, CO Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Positive experience"

Former Employee - Seasonal Laborer in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Seasonal Laborer in Westminster, CO

I worked at Westminster, CO part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked on Legacy Ridge golf course. I enjoyed seeing the sun rise on the mountains and there's a great view. For a labor job, it isn't too intensive, but definitely tiring. I am very athletic so it wasn't too taxing. Mowing the greens is a lot of walking. I walked about 5-8 miles on those days. Ed keeps the employees productive and maintains high efficiency. I also enjoyed driving the course, its almost like a racetrack.

Cons

Waking up at 4 a.m., being tired frequently, and lifting heavy equipment. As a seasonal laborer, there's no room for rising up in the ranks. Good hand-eye/driving coordination is required to not be crashing the Sandpro or driving with a trailer. A fair amount of exercise is a pro or a con depending on what you want.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I had enjoyable experience.

2. "Lifeguard"

Pros

I've worked for City of Westminster doing several different part-time jobs. I was a lifeguard for a while and that was a lot of fun. A lot of responsibility, but the majority of the other lifeguards are just as responsible and so you are working with people with similar work ethic. I made a lot of friends while working there. If you work a job like lifeguarding, it is also fairly easy to get involved with other work opportunities at the city.

Cons

Everyone knows everyone, and people are all connected in some sort of way - which can be good and bad. You may be unaware that you are talking to someone "higher up", so you have to be careful with what you say and how you act

3. "Great city to work for, cared about it's employees"

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Westminster, CO

I worked at Westminster, CO part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Focused on the community it serves and the families in it. Always trained its employees to be the best they could be.

Cons

Working for the government you must always work your hardest so tax payer money is not waisted.

Advice to Management

Do not always be afraid that your employees will not be able to do their job. Constant vigilance can be more distracting to us then helpful to you.

"Mixed Bag for the Library"

I have been working at Westminster, CO full-time

Pros

This is a medium sized library and may provide some resources not available in a smaller library, as well as some diverse opportunities not available in a larger organization. The staff is good, friendly and care about doing a good job. ...But there are issues.

Cons

As another reviewer noted, the library has its problems, much of it because of poor management, particularly over the last few years. The job opportunity may be worthwhile, but applicants should know about these problems going in. There has been significant turnover among long-time employees, as well as newer ones. Applicants should talk to a range of current and past employees if possible.

"Library division employee morale is extremely low."

I worked at Westminster, CO full-time

Pros

There are many educated and dedicated employees who passionately do their best to promote librarianship and to serve their customers. It was a pleasure working with them.

Cons

As an employee, you must watch everything you do or say every moment while you are at work. Anything taken in a negative way will come back to haunt you in the form of being dressed down by a supervisor or a reprimand. It is a very poor environment for creativity and employee morale.

Advice to Management

The unwritten philosophy of the library management that requires every creative idea or suggestion to be confined to narrow hierarchical channels and the fear generated among staff and managers whenever anyone violates this protocol (e.g., speaking up at a meeting) makes a mockery of the city's philosophy of SPIRIT. This culture of fear is widely understood and has been reported to Human Resources and Upper Management numerous times by numerous people but, for whatever reason, they refuse to act on it. The results have been devastating for employee morale and has led to significant employee attrition.

6. "The Best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I worked at Westminster, CO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, pay, atmosphere, location.

Cons

Not enough movement at the top to allow for promotions.