Westminster College (Utah) Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Morgan

1. "Fund Analyst"

Former Employee - Fund Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Fund Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Westminster College (Utah) (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a great opportunity to evaluate stocks, enrich knowledge, and learning financial software as well as improve technical skills in Excel.

Cons

I hope to get more real practice and get more opportunities to communicate with experts and professional in the community.

Advice to Management

Get more opportunity for the team work and take part in competition with peers universities and colleges.

"..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Westminster College (Utah) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a beautiful campus located in the heart of Sugarhouse. Flexible work hours. If you're lucky enough to work with students, you'll be impressed. The students here are amazing.

Cons

The workload is unreasonably heavy. Hard work goes unnoticed and unappreciated. Resources are sparse. There is no transparency about what departments get funding and/or resources and why. Departments have different goals and often work against each other.

The senior leadership has created a fearful and toxic environment. Their lack of concern for student and staff wellbeing is alarming and dehumanizing. Decisions made by senior leadership do not reflect Westminster's mission and values.

Furthermore, diversity is not respected by the senior leadership. The only steps taken to make the campus more inclusive are marketing schemes to attract more students and boost enrollment.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about the bottom dollar and start worrying about the student experience. Running a college campus like a corporation goes against the vision of higher education. If you insist this is the best method, remember students are your customers.

Appreciate your employees. I'm not talking about having an annual party. I'm suggesting you take the time to understand why I'm a valuable employee.

Stop de facto firing people. It's morally inept and bad for campus culture. Have the backbone to stand by your decisions. If an employee isn't doing a good job, let them go. Don't act like you're not firing them by restructuring a department and taking their benefits away. This passive-aggressive behavior creates an unhealthy level of distrust among the entire campus. The better path: Set clear expectations and guidelines. When those expectations aren't met, have a system in place to address shortcomings. (The new evaluation system was a step forward. However, there's no follow through. There isn't a process to ensure supervisors are meeting with employees about evaluations.)

Remember you get what you give. Don't demand loyalty, commitment, and excellence if you're not willing to do your part.

3. "Admissions Representative"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Westminster College (Utah) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work atmosphere, very creative and friendly.

Cons

Quick mobility, employees do not stay for more than 7 years average.

Advice to Management

Listen to counselors as they are the ones that deal mainly one-on-one with the students.

5. "Great"

Current Employee - Intramural Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Intramural Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Small Classes, great professors, close to outdoor activities, different opportunities to connect with people, great library and resources

Cons

One of the downsides is the costly tuition. Another downside is the cafeteria that isn't the best I have ever seen

Advice to Management

keep doing what you do well, everybody seems to be having a great time and learning a lot on westminster campus

6. "Great For Enrolled Students"

Current Employee - WS Lacrosse Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - WS Lacrosse Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Westminster College (Utah) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Direct Deposit
    -Flexible Work Hours
    -Great Employers
    -Community
    -Friendly

Cons

The only con for me, which I understand completely why, is students aren't allowed to work more than 20 hours a week.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to keep being awesome and frosty. Go Westminster!

7. "So far so good!"

Current Employee - Student Worker in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Easy relaxed work environment. Get to do homework on my down time. I have learned valuable work experience while getting my degree.

Cons

Sometimes I have a ton of work to do and sometimes I will literally have nothing to do.

Advice to Management

Good job!

Sep 10, 2015 – Director of Graphic Design and Social Media Strategist

Thanks for your review! We are glad you are gaining valuable work experience while attending Westminster. Keep up the good work!

8. "Research Assistant"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Westminster College (Utah) (More than a year)

Pros

the professors are very flexible with your schedule. The work was never anything I felt like I could accomplish. Great experience for grad school!

Cons

The work can be mundane. The pay is terrible, but it's more about the experience.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

Sep 10, 2015 – Director of Graphic Design and Social Media Strategist

Thank you and good luck in grad school!

9. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Student Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Student Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Westminster College (Utah) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really loved my time here. The people are wonderful, and the campus is absolutely gorgeous. I was fortunate enough to work with some brilliant people who mentored me, and I have nothing but good things to say about Westminster College as an employer.

Cons

The culture here is very, very conservative.

Sep 10, 2015 – Director of Graphic Design and Social Media Strategist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate our student employees and are thankful for all you do!

10. "Worst Department I have ever worked in."

Current Employee - IT Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Westminster College (Utah) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very easy to get away with things. It is very laid back.

Cons

No motivation to work hard. A lot of closed door meetings between male and female managers.

Advice to Management

Watch your employees, especially you management. A lot goes on behind closed doors that you should be aware off.

Sep 10, 2015 – Director of Graphic Design and Social Media Strategist

We are sorry to hear that. Please reach out to the Human Resources department to share your insights so that we can find ways to support you and improve your work experience ... More

11. "I Heart Westminster"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Westminster College (Utah) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, relaxed environment, and meaningful work that is always varied and interesting. As a Westminster employee I feel like I'm part of community. It's place you can really feel at home and gain a sense of purpose.

Cons

Bad food in the cafeteria, too many meetings and committees

Jul 8, 2015 – Director of Graphic Design and Social Media Strategist