Westside Mechanical Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Service Dispatch in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Service Dispatch in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Westside Mechanical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love Westside. Employees are treated with respect and your opinion counts! Opportunity for advancement is there and they pay really well.

Cons

You have to be a self starter and a quick learner, but the people here are more than willing to help if you have a question!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Employees like myself appreciate the opportunity to work here, develop our careers, and support our families.

"Service Manager"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Westside Mechanical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work with a quality team of individuals committed to the customer. Company allows us unlimited training, tools, and resources to train our service technicians to be the best they can be.
    Company is dedicated to performance. Company stays true to the customer in not allowing lazy employees to underserve our customers. Our former service manger was lazy. We have since upgraded to a team of professionals who care about the company, our employees and our customers and are committed to delivering the best possible service.

Cons

Any negative reviews are by fired employees, including this service manager (RS), who should have been fired. There is no place for a bad attitude, or taking advantage of a company that takes good care of you. These people are no longer here, and we are better off for it. I applaud the company for getting rid of the few bad apples who never add anything to us. They are history, and they truly contributed nothing to our collective success. Great job by management in getting rid of them.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. We have a team that is unified and is doing everything to make this company the best in Chicago.

3. "CUSTOMER CENTRIC"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Westside Mechanical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Westside Mechanical is totally dedicated to two things: Its customers, and the people who serve those customers, its great employees. That commitment has now been in place for over 45 years and has grown the company from $10 million to $100 million. Our passion is serving our customers and making sure they get the best service possible. That can only be done with a great group of employees dedicated to servicing the customer. We do that, and do it well. I love this place.

Cons

Westside has always done well with developing its people from within. Hiring employees from competitors hasn't always been the answer as their lever of commitment isn't up to what Westside is accustomed to delivering for its customers.

Advice to Management

Westside is an organization with people who are committed. To our customers, to each other, and to making us a better company each and every day. Keep up the great work. Every satisfied customer is what tells us we are doing all the right things.

"Vice President / Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Vice President in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Westside Mechanical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have built my whole career at Westside. I came here as a service technician back in the late 80's. Thru hard work, I was able to enter management as a lead technician, then as a service manager, and then as a sales engineer. I was promoted to Vice President which was very rewarding to me. This company has made me into the person that I am today. And I couldn't be more happier. If I were to think of the reasons why, it is because they do not limit the individual. Whatever you can accomplish, they are totally supportive of your efforts. I will finish my career here, and I am happy that I have been a big part of Westside. Taking it form a small company to what it is today.

Cons

I appreciate fairness. This company is fair with its employees and that keeps the integrity and lets all of us hard workers know that we will be rewarded for our efforts.

Advice to Management

I'm excited to see Westside celebrate 20 years in 2020 and know that I've been a big part of getting there.

"Service Technician"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Westside Mechanical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Westside for the past 5 years as a Service Technician out of their Naperville Office. The company does an excellent job training service technicians - I've been sent out of town for training direct with the manufacturers, as well as attended the monthly training classes put on by the service managers. We are given all the necessary tools to do our job, including laptops, IPads, and work related tools.
    All work is done in a paperless environment which is convenient as well. The company does a great job of servicing the customers and it is a pleasure to work here.

Cons

We changed over to a new dispatch system that is much better than a system installed several years ago. We now use Dispatch Direct which works really well, and moved away from a company called Jonas which was very cumbersome. Thanks to our service manager for getting this done as all the techs love the new system and so do the customers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work - the training, the customer service, and taking care of us service techs. We really appreciate everything you do for us.

"Chicago Office - Incredible Growth Opportunity"

I have been working at Westside Mechanical full-time

Pros

Worked as for an engineering firm and joined Westside for the opportunity for advancement. Company was opening a Chicago office at 311 South Wacker on the 53rd floor. CEO's approach to business is you "have to be there to get the business" so being in downtown Chicago was a necessity.

Overall opportunity has been great. We've come from doing $0 business in Chicago to $40 million and have added many new satisfied customers along the way. The office is team based and collaborative, and the company is very willing to help me advance my career and be the best I can be.

I couldn't have picked a better situation or company to be associated with. Westside has become a major player in Chicago and will continue to do so for may years to come. I highly recommend working at Westside. Work with the best to be the best

Cons

High growth means more responsibility and a bit more stress but I thrive on that. Company has been 100% supportive in my endeavors.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and spreading the Westside name! Customers love our service. WE do a great job. Keep up with the marketing – this year’s golf outing, with Scott Darling, Andrew Shaw, Dan Carcillo, and Eddie Olczyk of the Hawks, the major sponsorship of the Chicago Blackhawks, all do a lot to spread the name of WESTSIDE. Love this company.

"Thanks Westside"

Current Employee - Manager in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Westside Mechanical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at Westside for over 18 years. Anyone who comes to work here and performs will be rewarded. The company has always been very flexible with working around times I needed to take care of family activities. They always have great company picnics with great gifts and family activities. They let employees take their families to Blackhawks and Bulls suite for games during the year. Way above and beyond what other companies do.

I've worked for other large mechanical contractors and this one is the best. There are currently 7 out of the 10 sales people who have worked here from 15 to 25 years. There are also other key office personal and field that have been here for over 15 years. I think that says everything about a company. The person who runs the shop has been here since we opened. (Over 40 Years)

If you are a below average worker you will not fit in. For the people who have negative things to say there are always two sides to the story. And I'm sure if they weren't let go they would still be working at Westside happily.

Cons

None I can think of.

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of the people who get it done and thanks for the opportunities.

"Westside is the right side"

Pros

Westside Mechanical is a great place to work. Hard work does not go unnoticed and gets rewarded. Westside gives every employee a platform to learn and grow within the company. Not only does Westside give back to their employees they give back to their families through an annual picnic with tons of games, gifts, and food. If you show up with the right attitude, put in hard work, and treat people with respect you will be an employee of Westside for a very long time.

Cons

There are not any cons

Advice to Management

Thank you for the way you give back to your hardworking employees. it goes a long way and is very much appreciated.

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Clerical in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Clerical in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Westside Mechanical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Westside for 2 years and love this company. The people are all nice and pleasant to work with. If you have a question, anyone is willing to help. They are very family orientated as I have a child and need to leave early for daycare. The company has been more than accommodating with helping me out. I have been promoted once already and am looking forward to a long and rewarding career with the company.

Cons

I don't have any complaints. This is such a huge improvement over my last job. I cannot begin to thank Westside for the opportunity.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The employees here really appreciate all that you do for us.

"LAST MAN STANDING TURN THE LIGHTS OUT"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Naperville, IL

I worked at Westside Mechanical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

NO PROS HERE COME TO MIND...SAD BUT TRUE

Cons

Interesting to see so many positive reviews since it appears only in the last few months these employees stepped up to defend the negative remarks this company has grown to deserve and live by. If it's been so great all these years where have these employees been? LOL Entertaining customers or sponsoring the Blackhawks speaks nothing for the atmosphere of this company and the back stabbing, double standards that go unpunished or recognized. A long history of firing sprees is common place and certainly no LIFE LONG FRIENDS...if you don't agree with the way things are you get the boot! It's a joke here and most of my fellow coworkers that moved on are so happy to be with companies that create an environment of growth, trust and advancement. The only advancements are a glorified title of Vice President, when you're duties remain the same and you do nothing other than what you've been doing (a sales person) then what comes with being a VP here--just another laughable practice. Constant turmoil...everyone is afraid to lose their job. One person can not lead a company, one person can not make a difference (they think they can here) but it takes a team to work cohesively. There hasn't been one RETIREMENT party for anyone at this company in over 20 years...that speaks for itself. Snake pit, despicable and discriminatory are the highlights of Westside.

Advice to Management

A bad manager(s) can take a good staff and DESTROY IT, causing the BEST employees to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation. Turn yourself around, do unto others as you would have them do unto you...equal treatment for all. Take management training classes (it will take multiple classes to undo your thinking). Stop running your employees off...or scaring them or firing everyone--it's known throughout the entire industry to stay away.