Westwood One Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 4, 2017

1.0
Mary Berner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, opportunities are available to advance if you push for it (in 8 reviews)

• Great place to start a career in media (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits sucked, very low pay, no bonuses, not raises, no promotions (in 4 reviews)

• Radio is a struggling industry as ad dollars are being move to digital (in 3 reviews)

1. "Hoping Things Changed/Improved Over the Last 2 Years"

I worked at Westwood One full-time

Pros

I really liked many of my co-workers

Cons

Awful salary (the company tried to remove my overtime post merger so I ultimately made less when I left technically than when I started)
    Promotions non-existent (always fun when ended up training people who worked above me how to do their job...but never a raise or promotion)...continued to hear promises that one was in the works (I didn't hold my breath)
    The health insurance was so awful (such a high deductible) and on a lower end salary it makes life much more difficult

Advice to Management

There should be annual reviews (in the handbook I got it said there would be) and those reviews should offer the opportunity for a raise/promotion/bonus. Get better health insurance or more options (you can't pay someone a barely livable salary in NYC and then stick them with at $2500 - $5000 deductible...employees shouldn't have to consider forgoing medication/medical care or fall into debt because their in network insurance expenses take up most of their paycheck),,,plus the insurance company used was AWFUL!!
    Try to start showing all the employees they are important. Provide learning experiences, incentives etc. Watching a least 1 and up to 5 people quit each week of weeks and weeks really says something about the work environment.

"Do NOT work here"

I worked at Westwood One full-time

Pros

For the most part about 50% of the people are great. They are helpful, kind, and great to be around. Then, there are the other people who have been around for ever collecting their enormous checks and waiting to die. The manager was wonderful and never overworked us

Cons

Embarrassingly low pay
    Terrible benefits
    No room for growth
    No promotions
    They have no money for raises

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly and distribute the wealth to those at the bottom-they are doing the most work

3. "Great company, awful management."

Pros

Great people in mid level positions. Company owns some of the most well recognized radio properties.

Cons

Zero money for raises. Some people have been waiting for a raise for 2-3+ years. Management is awful. Not only are there sometimes 3-4 people that manage each department, only 1 of those people will have a clue what they are actually doing, but they will ALL tell you what to do. Kissing up to management will get you promoted, not performance. Do minimal work, kiss up, get promoted. Do the most work, mind your business, never move up. Sellers and management are so afraid of losing their positions that they create unnecessary stress and pressure in the office.

Advice to Management

Invest and focus on digital assets and properties. Hire a few people under 40 years old for SVP, VP & C level positions. Stop putting ancient people with ancient ideas in these positions. You need newer, younger, ideas and initiatives. You won't get that if you keep putting dinosaurs at the helm.

"Churn In and Churn Out"

I worked at Westwood One full-time

Pros

People were nice and respectful except top management

Cons

1.Close to 50% turnover-Easier to replace management than half the workforce.
    2. Don't really train- Just do your job, go home and that's it
    3. Management can be very disrespectful and can sabotage you (even the new CEO says that).
    4. Producers are very angry with the company.

Advice to Management

They probably won't listen but get rid of people hurting the company especially in management. It's stale and the company is slowly dying.

5. "Affiliate Services Coodinator"

I worked at Westwood One full-time

Pros

The location was very good and easy to get to once in the city. The managers were very helpful and understanding.

Cons

The job had a lot of turn over and the pay was not great. Based on the fact that there was so much turn over it felt like not a great deal of time was put into training individuals.

6. "writer"

Current Employee - Writer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Writer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Westwood One part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pay is not bad, location is central

Cons

dysfunctional management, many bad hires

Advice to Management

get new management

7. "Don't Do it!"

I worked at Westwood One full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are the sole positive attribute of this company. Hardworking & knowledgeable despite the discouraging work conditions. As a former Cumulus Network employee we thought the merger with Westwood One would be a tremendous growth opportunity for the business.

Cons

Corporate Management has no clue how to run this business. After the acquisition of Westwood One and merger with Cumulus Media Networks, it has been all downhill since then. Any material input from the staff isn't considered relevant. This is a business in severe decline.

Advice to Management

Why bother? It wouldn't even be considered anyway.

8. "Disorganized, ineffective, favoritism"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Westwood One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brands, some nice people, decent compensation and good benefits

Cons

Only Former Dial Global employees were really treated well. Those that came from Westwood One were not treated fairly.

9. "Don't do it"

Pros

Low expectations so its good for someone entry level

Cons

Poor communication, poor planning, unrealistic expectations make for a bad combination. While its a good place to start don't stay too long.