Weta Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Sharon Percy Rockefeller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company"

I have been working at Weta full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, family like feel in many departments. A lot of talent and expertise on staff to learn from.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities in some departments due to long employee tenure.

2. "Intern"

Pros

Great company, wonderful people, really wants to help you learn

Cons

Only con is that it doesn't pay

"WETA is stuck in a rut"

I have been working at Weta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code, free covered parking, and 401K matching

Cons

VPs/supervisors are very critical, don't seem to realize they aren't perfect, and don't appreciate subordinates.
    No company perks for the low salaries, and annual "raises."
    Dated workstations and company culture tries to force a team atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Move into the 21st century and provide better benefits and higher raises.
    Remind VPs that they cannot do all the work themselves, and appreciate colleagues at every level.

"Decent Benefits. Horrible Work Culture."

I worked at Weta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WETA is widely-known in the DC metro area because of its prestigious reputation. Free employee parking. A very generous retirement match.

Cons

WETA has been around for years...and thus, many employees have been around for years and have chosen not to evolve with the times. Outdated infrastructure (from the condition of the office building and studio to software systems used). Stale work culture with little room for professional growth and advancement. A "this is how it's always been done, so we aren't open to change" mentality. A "don't ask questions, just do as you're told even though it doesn't make good business sense" mentality. Definitely not a place you want to go to if you are looking to grow your career or are an agent for change.

"Horrible Company. Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Public Media Canvasser in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Public Media Canvasser in Arlington, VA

I worked at Weta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the local PBS and NPR station serving the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Northern Virginia. There is really nothing else to say.

Cons

This is for the WETA TV 26's canvassing position.
    I had a co-worker who threatened to fire me if I didn't learn the script. The coworkers kept looking at me very strangly and wanted to know my personal business. One co-worker even told canvassers they are boring. The staff members wanted my paperwork by phone which is very unprofessional, fraudulent, and a case of identity theft. Not one single individual wanted to donate money to WETA. WETA has made lies about their memberships and even will sign you up non-PBS and non-NPR companies, such as the Red Cross and use viewer's financial information without their consent/permission. WETA does not respect "do not solicit"/"do not canvass"/"do not contact" request. I was left on my own to knock on people's houses. Many of them told me to "get off their property," "get off their lawn," "do not come to my home, "do not leave anything on my porch", etc. I finished knocking on doors earlier and was waiting for a ride for nearly 2 hours in the dark. Some of the co-workers were smokers and smoked in vehicles everywhich made me very uncomfortable. The person who interviewed me a week ago left the company and the staff contacted me while knocking on doors asking me for paperwork that I have already completed. So, unfortunately, the job wasn't right for me and things didn't work out due to safety reasons. I left after a week of working there. Please do not take this job. It EXTREMELY VERY DANGEROUS! Donor Development Strategies and the PBS station do not care about your safety and they certainly do not care about you. The staff were attempting to beg and persuade me to stay, especially for someone who wants a real, professional job. They saw it as me giving up, which was not the case. This job is not for everyone, especially college-educated individuals with a baccalaureate or post-baccalaureate degree. I declined their request. This job is not professional and you do not have the same opportunities seen in white-collar jobs. The pay is extremely low. This is mostly college students and high school dropout as well as uneducated people who do not have a real job. Canvassing is NOT a real/actual job! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY !

Advice to Management

Bad Management. WETA SUCKS! Fix your membership and leave people and viewers alone.

6. "Development Associate"

I worked at Weta full-time

Pros

Very nice atmosphere to work in. Everyone was easy to work with. I loved my job and duties. My work was appreciated.

Cons

Some overtime and weekend work occasionally.

7. "Great opportunity for interns"

Former Employee - Communications Intern in Burke, VA
    Former Employee - Communications Intern in Burke, VA

I worked at Weta (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposed to many projects, great management and understanding of internship programs, plenty of opportunity for feedback, employees are receptive to informational interviews, hands on, small company means more interns have bigger role to play, pleasant working environment, great location in Shirlington, pay daily stipend for travel costs, inclusion of interns in team building and encouraging of outings (lunches, walks) to get to know team better

Cons

Doesn't pay hourly, senior management can be a little stuffy

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

8. "Friendly and creative place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Weta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is fairly good about listening to feedback.

Cons

There are a few difficult personalities that make getting things done very hard.

"Marketing Associate"

I worked at Weta full-time

Pros

Loved working for WETA;s Local Underwriting Department

Cons

Hated leaving WETA's Local Underwriting Department

Advice to Management

Keep providing the Metro area with good programming.

"Development Associate"

I worked at Weta full-time

Pros

Great staff to work with.

Cons

Not much room for growth