Wetzel Brothers Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Kevin Heder
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Run!! Unless you love working long hours"

Former Employee - Designer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Designer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Wetzel Brothers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The projects that Wetzel works on are really fun (and sometimes not). The type of jobs I worked on were creatively challenging. There are some nice people that work there. There were a decent amount of young people there. I gave it 2 stars for the interesting projects.

Cons

This is by far the cheapest company I've ever worked for. Raises average 1%, health benefits are pathetic and no 401k match. Don't expect any free lunches EVER. There's definitely an expectation to work late every night. If you don't you will be scolded by management. If you come in 5 minutes after 8 even if you stayed 3 hours late the night before, you will be talked to. Even if there's nothing to do they want you to be there working late. No respect for work/life balance. There are random layoffs occasionally to "cut costs". Being owned by such a huge company really makes you feel like you're just a number. Management treats employees like children. They care much more about finding who to blame then fix the processes that cause errors. Workload is almost always too much for one person in every department. Turnover is insanely high. Employees are seen as disposable. Higher management is terrible with communication and rarely celebrates success. They are quick however, to point out mistakes and take advantage of people. New President was hired recently, he seems better than the last one but doesn't have much power under RRD.

If you don't mind working long hours and have a really thick shell, you'll be just fine here. If not I would avoid.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation for your employees. Give them lunches or do SOMETHING every once in a while for all of those late nights we suffer through. Treat employees as adults and stop bringing down the hammer on the littlest things on a regular basis. Morale is low- find a way to get it higher (will require caring).

2. "Interesting Company"

I have been working at Wetzel Brothers full-time

Pros

Wetzel Brothers is part of a larger company/network - RR Donnelley

Get exposure to a lot of different equipment

Unique company

Cons

There is not enough room for growth

The company Culture is not the greatest

Too many clicks

You seem to not be able to please anyone, no matter what you do.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and realize that people should come first. Trying to make people fear you will not get you anywhere.