Weyerhaeuser Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doyle Simons

Pros
Cons
  • Very few women in upper management positions (in 10 reviews)

• They are no longer the company they once were (in 7 reviews)

"Would not recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser (More than 8 years)

Pros

There used to be a pension, standard benefits, 401k

Cons

No job security, I was laid off 3 times and never actually lost my job since they realized my value. Poor vacation and no opportunities for development.

2. "Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natchitoches, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natchitoches, LA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They talk a good game.

Cons

First, the management on my crew sucked. They didn't do their job. 80 percent of the people there didn't do their job and they put their job off on the other 20 percent. The supervisor let them get away with this because he obviously didn't have the guts to say anything to them. Second, they preach safety and said it was their number one priority but I had something healthwise go wrong while I was about 8 hours in the shift. I talked to the supervisor to make sure I wouldn't lose my job if I had to leave. Then I tried to stay but the pain got worse. I did not feel like I could safely perform my job but what I really thought about was safely driving myself home so my wife could take me to emergency room. The supervisor said it was ok and that they wouldn't shoot me. I told him I couldn't afford to lose job but I had to go home. The next day I came back and he told me they had to let me go. He didn't ask for my dr note or nothing he just ran me off. I know it wasn't due to my work performance because he had told me several times I was doing really good for a new hire. They ran another guy off for talking to another company about a job. Really I think it was because I was honest with them and I told them I didn't know if I could stay there if I got a call back from oilfield. I think he started gunning for me then. I got five kids, worked in the oilfield for ten years, had been laid off and needed that job.

Advice to Management

Get real, if you are gonna talk about it then be about it. Don't say your safety oriented when you aren't. Get out of your office and hold everyone accountable for doing their job instead of just the ones who try to do a good job. Realize that stuff happens to people and that's not s reason to fire them. If you wanna know why your numbers suck then go out and walk the floor every once in awhile instead of just talking about it in safety meeting.

"A fresh coat of paint does not a new tractor make."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Pay is barely acceptable for Seattle, but work environment, long, traffic filled commutes, and long hours quickly erode that benefit. Don't work here on salary.

There are good people here, but none of them are in upper management. Middle managers and people on the front lines seem to actually care and be friendly, for the most part.

Cons

Where to even start? This place is a show and a half.

The stated reason for moving to Seattle is to "attract new talent". Their behavior indicates that they don't truly believe this, or they are disconnected beyond belief. Nothing about what they are doing says that they actually care about talent, retention, or employees. All of that means bad things for you.

First, lets start with the office.

Seattle leaves a lot to be desired. Pioneer Square is a pretty rough neighborhood, and while it has its upsides, be prepared to walk past plenty of homeless people. Minimize the valuables that you are carrying, it is only a matter of time before an employee gets mugged.

Once you're inside the building, it's all concrete, wood, and logos. "Look at all our products being showcased around you!" says the promotional material. It's an ego trip, and not even a very good one. Quite a few of the tables look like they are built out of plywood, there is exposed, unfinished wood everywhere, and what finished wood there actually is, usually has big, unintentional cracks in it. If they can't even bring their A-Game to their company HQ, what do you expect them to be doing to wood they don't actually care about? Also, bring tweezers. Splinters will be in your future.

Unless you are upper management, you're very likely to end up in an open office plan. If you're upper management material, you can do better than Weyerhaeuser. If you are interviewing here, be sure to ask where you would be seated, as there is very little storage and no work space provided in the open offices. Walls on the cubes are also very low. Half-cubes (the ones with side desks) have it a little bit better, but not by much. The concrete echos, the windows are generally open, meaning you'll hear frequent sirens, and whatever is happening outside, for good or ill.

Also, Weyerhaeuser does not care about you. Benefits are next to non-existent. that You can get an ORCA card, but given that pretty much everyone in Seattle will provide one of those for you, it's hardly worth mentioning. Health and 401Ks are a thing, but are nothing special.

If you're anywhere near a C-level or their immediate underlings, be prepared to be micromanaged into the ground.

Advice to Management

If you're serious about trying to attract talent, pointing at your new building and talking about how cool you are is, at best, going to get you an eye-roll. Every company thinks they are cool. They usually aren't. If you want to attract talent, you have to give them a reason for them to want to work for you in the form of tangible benefits, such as better pay, private cubes...something. Your environment is actively working against you on this one, and it seems to be intentionally planned out that way, which seems counter-productive. Currently, you make it very obvious that if you aren't a C-level or one of their direct reporters, you don't matter. This needs to change, or your employees are only going to get more unhappy.

4. "Inside Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good and compensation is on par with similar companies.

Cons

They don't value their experienced and tenured employees. No consistent business strategy

Advice to Management

Start valuing your employees and not just playing politics to keep Sr management happy.

5. "Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There really isn't anything positive left in the distribution side of the business. They still however are a powerhouse in the timberlands and manufacturing.

Cons

Management is completely incompetent, and has no real understanding of how to take product to market. They are also unaware of how little market share they really have, and they still try to make decisions like they are market leaders that can drive change. Customers and employees alike have a lot of unanswered questions on the future plans for the some businesses under the Weyco umbrella, and it makes it very difficult to put any kind of program business in place. Replenishment is trying to be done from a far with little or no understanding of local markets. In a nutshell, it's a big mess.

Advice to Management

Find talent that actually understands to business you are in. Have the fortitude to stick with a well thought out plan, and don't change your business strategies every few months. New initiatives take time to get working as intended.

"Weyerhaeuser IT"

Current Employee - IT Infrastructure Specialist in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - IT Infrastructure Specialist in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser (Less than a year)

Pros

It's hard to find a pro, the best that I could think of is that they seem to be semi flexible about working from home when you need to.

Cons

Possibly the most disorganized and chaotic IT environment I have ever seen. Weyerhaeuser has a long history of selling off bits of the company and downsizing staff at the same time which sets the mood there. Contractors do all the real work and they choose the cheapest contractors they can find, and you get what you pay for. There are three separate silo'ed IT departments that do not work together well and duplicate or contradictory projects may be going on at the same time.

Advice to Management

Find a common standard, hold people responsible for the work assigned to them and attempt to keep some of your better employees. Managers there have a long road ahead to bring value not only to the company but to bring value to their employees.

"Run away as fast as you can"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Subsidized transit
    - Vacation/sick time
    - Benefits ok but are cut every year
    - 401K match
    - Pay is ok for Federal Way not for Seattle

Cons

- Moving to Pioneer Square which is a dangerous place to be even in broad daylight
    - limited flexibility and teleworking even with the huge increase in commute times
    - Constantly cutting staff
    - No real vision for the future except to cut manufacturing
    - CEO is a one-trick pony and weak leader
    - Women are not valued and are limited in what positions they are considered for
    - Benefits being cut every year with no real explanation

Advice to Management

The CEO is a weak leader. Find someone who can truly drive culture change. Invest in your employees. The talent pool you do desperately seek is not in Pioneer Square. They already work for you. Develop them, listen to them, train them. This used to be a company that cared about its employees. Now the only concern is the CEO's ego and modest dividends for shareholders.

8. "Hard physical labor. Long hours in summer."

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$15 starting pay through a temp agency. Plenty of over time in spring, summer, and fall which means good weekly paychecks through the temp agency.

Cons

Hard physical labor. Long hours even when you're tired. It is Exhausting work. Lead team does not really care about you or any other non management personnel.

Advice to Management

Find a way to stop your employees working 12 hour shifts and make their jobs easier.

9. "Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

Pros

It used to be a great place to work but has went downhill quickly. Work life balance has changed with layoffs and increases in work.

Cons

Constant layoffs then rehiring and realizing they need to layoff again, moving to a bad part of Seattle and questionable ethics in upper management.

Advice to Management

With constant decrease in benefits and poor treatment of long term employees there should not be an expectation of loyalty with current employees.

10. "Leadership is an oxymoron at Weyerhaeuser"

Former Employee - Analyst II in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst II in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was fair not much else.

Cons

Leadership clueless on leading people or processes.
    Stockholders over employees.
    New company vision means absolutely nothing.
    WY hasn't learned from the economic collapse of the housing market in 2009.
    Cheerleaders and boot lickers abound.
    Could not find me a position within the company even though I achieves exceptional annual review.
    Avoid a position in the OSB department. Leader there is clueless on how to lead associates.
    SG&A cuts every few years. No job security.

Advice to Management

Get people that actually heave led people and are not mouthpieces for the corporate vision.