Weyerhaeuser Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Doyle Simons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Very few women in upper management positions (in 11 reviews)

• They are no longer the company they once were (in 7 reviews)

1. "Old school anything new is for show"

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time

Pros

Nice shiny new building in a happening fun area of Seattle.

Cons

Leadership hires friends, does not work to develop employees. Micromanaging at it's finest. Does not value education or ambition; is looking for employees to take sub par compensation to save money on the bottom line. Would not recommend applying under any circumstance.

"Western Timberlands Employee"

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time

Pros

Many open positions since people quit at such a high rate, which in itself is a red-flag. This place is only a great stepping stone to obtain another job.

Cons

Morale is in the gutter across all employees. Management, which has been inflated with middle managers, is flaky, incompetent, and does not have your back. Your chances of advancement depend more on the color of your nose than the quality of your work. Workers who excel are pigeon-holed in their roles while inept employees are bounced upward. Developmental training is reserved for those pre-destined for advancement (see above) and as a carrot to keep disgruntled, but essential, employees from quitting. Pay increases are withheld from entry-level to first level workers despite bring promoted and having more responsibilities. Necessary business tools, such as cellphones, have been ripped away, and you must now pay for the privilege to be on call 24/7. And don't expect to get any comp time (you WILL be working well over 60 hours/week and on weekends). Also, don't expect a work/life balance: departments are ridiculously understaffed, and your manager doesn't have one, so you won't, either. HR cannot be bothered to pretend that they even care about you; at least they're honest (in a sense).

Advice to Management

You all should be fired and replaced, but I doubt even that could save your company.

3. "Review of sawmil"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vanceboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vanceboro, NC

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time

Pros

Leaving work each day
    getting a pay check

Cons

Awful place to work, starts with top leader in the mill
    If you are hourly or salary, you are disrespected and treated poorly no matter what you do
    There are better places to work for more money

4. "Released without cause, notice or reason the day before Thanksgiving!"

Former Contractor - Systems Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Systems Administrator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser as a contractor

Pros

Brand new office building in Seattle's pioneer square, modern architecture with the green or eco type architecture that is popular today

Cons

Weyerhaeuser's company culture is very old fashioned and has had a difficult time adjusting to that of younger, tech driven companies (that's in the words of other employees there). I was on contract there from the beginning of July 2017 until yesterday and I did like the office and many of the people I worked with. Most of my team worked in the Columbia Falls office, so my only interaction was the few times they came to Seattle, or team meetings over Skype. If I had questions for my manager, the only method of contact was email or skype message, and rarely heard from him since he was often too busy.

The contract was supposed to last at least the end of year, and we were supposed to know by November 30 if the contract would be renewed. I received a call last night that yesterday was my last day, and that there was no reason given, no cause, and obviously no notice. They did tell my contract agency that they were happy with my work and that there was no conduct issues or problems with job performance. Happy Thanksgiving.

Advice to Management

Who would end someone's employment and refuse to give any notice or reason? At the very least, when a contract is agreed upon, its expected to be honored by both parties. If it wont be renewed, its standard practice to let it wind down unless there is cause.

"IT"

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very limited as a woman. As a man, there are many opportunities for growth, continuing education and bonuses.

Cons

There was no opportunity for growth within the company. I experienced gender bias when it came to salary, hours worked (including lunch), continuing education and role responsibility. One example: the guy who previously held my position was able to arrive in the late morning and leave at 3pm with no issues. I, on the other hand, was told to be on site at 8AM sharp until 5PM sharp. Even if leaving for lunch I was to report my time which was closely monitored. The manager I reported to directly told me I was doing great work and he didn't know how to coach me because I was doing everything right, however, the mill manager of the site I supported was uncomfortable working with a woman so I was let go; even though I demonstrated an exemplary performance record and received several accolades from upper management in corporate. I received several suggestive advances from on site management and regret not reporting it even though it made my daily tasks uncomfortable. I experienced a similar situation in corporate and the solution was for me to try to avoid the guy so I felt I was in a tough position.

"NO WEY"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PAY is only good thing about working at this company

Cons

never seen a company in a constant stat of re org, they grow and cut wood...not too technical but think they are running Microsoft

Advice to Management

I have no input , they did listen when I was there

"The Sheer Arrogance of Management - No women in engineering"

Current Employee - Operations Worker
    Current Employee - Operations Worker

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Better than no paycheck at all

Cons

Engineering Planner when asked about difficulty operators face using LOTOT system using numbers rather that common names "because we have to order the stuff".
    Women are not able to do the jobs they used to. Jobs that used to be routinely held by women are now far to difficult (heavy lifting, awkward lifting, zero attempt to rectify the situation). There have never been many, but now there are no (zero) women in engineering.

Advice to Management

Spend a day cleaning up in your mill to rid yourself of the delusion that you are better than everyone else. You should be grateful that you have been given the opportunity to improve yourself and you should be passing on that opportunity.

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natchitoches, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natchitoches, LA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They talk a good game.

Cons

First, the management on my crew sucked. They didn't do their job. 80 percent of the people there didn't do their job and they put their job off on the other 20 percent. The supervisor let them get away with this because he obviously didn't have the guts to say anything to them. Second, they preach safety and said it was their number one priority but I had something healthwise go wrong while I was about 8 hours in the shift. I talked to the supervisor to make sure I wouldn't lose my job if I had to leave. Then I tried to stay but the pain got worse. I did not feel like I could safely perform my job but what I really thought about was safely driving myself home so my wife could take me to emergency room. The supervisor said it was ok and that they wouldn't shoot me. I told him I couldn't afford to lose job but I had to go home. The next day I came back and he told me they had to let me go. He didn't ask for my dr note or nothing he just ran me off. I know it wasn't due to my work performance because he had told me several times I was doing really good for a new hire. They ran another guy off for talking to another company about a job. Really I think it was because I was honest with them and I told them I didn't know if I could stay there if I got a call back from oilfield. I think he started gunning for me then. I got five kids, worked in the oilfield for ten years, had been laid off and needed that job.

Advice to Management

Get real, if you are gonna talk about it then be about it. Don't say your safety oriented when you aren't. Get out of your office and hold everyone accountable for doing their job instead of just the ones who try to do a good job. Realize that stuff happens to people and that's not s reason to fire them. If you wanna know why your numbers suck then go out and walk the floor every once in awhile instead of just talking about it in safety meeting.

"A fresh coat of paint does not a new tractor make."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Pay is barely acceptable for Seattle, but work environment, long, traffic filled commutes, and long hours quickly erode that benefit. Don't work here on salary.

There are good people here, but none of them are in upper management. Middle managers and people on the front lines seem to actually care and be friendly, for the most part.

Cons

Where to even start? This place is a show and a half.

The stated reason for moving to Seattle is to "attract new talent". Their behavior indicates that they don't truly believe this, or they are disconnected beyond belief. Nothing about what they are doing says that they actually care about talent, retention, or employees. All of that means bad things for you.

First, lets start with the office.

Seattle leaves a lot to be desired. Pioneer Square is a pretty rough neighborhood, and while it has its upsides, be prepared to walk past plenty of homeless people. Minimize the valuables that you are carrying, it is only a matter of time before an employee gets mugged.

Once you're inside the building, it's all concrete, wood, and logos. "Look at all our products being showcased around you!" says the promotional material. It's an ego trip, and not even a very good one. Quite a few of the tables look like they are built out of plywood, there is exposed, unfinished wood everywhere, and what finished wood there actually is, usually has big, unintentional cracks in it. If they can't even bring their A-Game to their company HQ, what do you expect them to be doing to wood they don't actually care about? Also, bring tweezers. Splinters will be in your future.

Unless you are upper management, you're very likely to end up in an open office plan. If you're upper management material, you can do better than Weyerhaeuser. If you are interviewing here, be sure to ask where you would be seated, as there is very little storage and no work space provided in the open offices. Walls on the cubes are also very low. Half-cubes (the ones with side desks) have it a little bit better, but not by much. The concrete echos, the windows are generally open, meaning you'll hear frequent sirens, and whatever is happening outside, for good or ill.

Also, Weyerhaeuser does not care about you. Benefits are next to non-existent. that You can get an ORCA card, but given that pretty much everyone in Seattle will provide one of those for you, it's hardly worth mentioning. Health and 401Ks are a thing, but are nothing special.

If you're anywhere near a C-level or their immediate underlings, be prepared to be micromanaged into the ground.

Advice to Management

If you're serious about trying to attract talent, pointing at your new building and talking about how cool you are is, at best, going to get you an eye-roll. Every company thinks they are cool. They usually aren't. If you want to attract talent, you have to give them a reason for them to want to work for you in the form of tangible benefits, such as better pay, private cubes...something. Your environment is actively working against you on this one, and it seems to be intentionally planned out that way, which seems counter-productive. Currently, you make it very obvious that if you aren't a C-level or one of their direct reporters, you don't matter. This needs to change, or your employees are only going to get more unhappy.

10. "Horrible company"

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time

Pros

There are no Pros to this company.

Cons

Very hard company to work for. They don't care about you or your family. They will come in shut you down then dont give you your vacation pay that is yours for at least a month and the severence they promised for 2 months. How do the expect people to live?? They don't care.

Advice to Management

Remember you weren't alway a manager. Care more for the people making you the money. Specially to the CEOS of the company.