WhatCulture Reviews | Glassdoor

WhatCulture Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2019

2.4
WhatCulture CEO 	Peter Willis (no image)
Peter Willis
  1. "WhatCulture"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at WhatCulture

Pros

You can work your own hours. You can write about fun topics. Some of the people are very pleasant. Regular and prompt payments.

Cons

Some of the people are not so pleasant. Different people (some of which with somewhat irrational standards) can overlook your work, which can lead to conflicting feedback.

WhatCulture2018-11-20

"COMMUNICATION IS KEY"

Former Contractor - Contributor

I worked at WhatCulture

Pros

Great money if you put in the work, strong pitching structure

Cons

Editors DO NOT communicate what they expect in terms of standards. Pitch ideas are approved, then are not posted after submission because they don't meet a certain standard. I myself was let go after less than two weeks as a result of this, with some of my pieces not even getting a chance at a round of edits. This was in spite of the four articles I had published to the site accumulated more than 100,000 hits.

Advice to Management

I understand that this is a business and I'm not at all bitter about what happened, but please make clear from the get-go what kind of work you expect from your contributing writers. It would save a lot of time and energy on both parts.

WhatCulture2017-06-12

"Awful Place To Submit Your Work"

Writer

I worked at WhatCulture

Pros

There are a lot of people that look at this site because they are so visible. The pay isn't awful, although it takes 3 months to get any money. The submission process is easy, but painstaking.

Cons

Your pitches will be rejected for no reason, and then if you get a pitch approved then the real trouble starts. They will reject your entire article for no reason at all, or a reason that is simply petty. They will approve articles and then reject them out of bias or the fact that they've already had something somewhat close to the same topic years ago. They are also total snobs when it comes to writing style and... their replies are not only insulting but belittling as well. Don't work for them!

Advice to Management

Get better editors, or stop hiring more writers if you can't handle the topics being presented. You will eventually run out of things to talk about if you don't allow for variety.

WhatCulture2017-01-04

"Work hard play hard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at WhatCulture full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hard work pays off

Cons

Matt the boss isn’t good

Advice to Management

Sack Matt

WhatCulture2019-06-16

"Bizarre experience, with a petty and mean-spirited leader at the helm"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at WhatCulture

Pros

None. Please avoid and pitch to other sites with pleasant, professional people at the helm.

Cons

Communication was only over skype, with Matt Holmes. who behaved bizarrely. He ghosted me when I chased up a late payment, before posting a very specific 'style guide' note on the online portal, visible to all writers, that quite clearly was written as a dig against my way of emailing. I was honestly baffled - I hadn't done anything wrong and had been polite in asking after the payment. I had also pitched a few... features, with all the details they required, but 7 of the 8 were deleted off the portal without comment in the space of an hour. After this, I took the 'approved' one off myself because honestly, no one should have to put up with this weird behaviour. Why would someone be like this without any provocation?

Advice to Management

Good god, Matt Holmes shouldn't be in charge of anything.

WhatCulture2019-05-23
  6. "Don't expect too much."

Current Freelancer - Freelance Writer and Editor

I have been working at WhatCulture for less than a year

Pros

They advertise the articles well Pretty good pay Enough creative freedom to pitch and write

Cons

Zero constructive criticism Will reject pitches for little to no reason Quite condescending in feedback

Advice to Management

Please give some feedback instead of just rejecting everything

WhatCulture2018-11-24

"The Most Toxic Company Imaginable"

I worked at WhatCulture full-time

Pros

I can’t think of a single pro. Working here for any period of time is genuinely going to make you depressed.

Cons

I worked a long stint at WhatCulture over several years, and all I can say is that the experience was hellish from start to finish. There are a number of reasons for this, but really it’s all to do with Matt Holmes, the immensely ill-qualified Editor-in-Chief who runs this company with absolutely no respect for any of his employees. Matt is the sort of person who will declare his allegiance to you one day and then... fire you the next. He is a user who literally sucks the life out of his employees and creates a work atmosphere built on anxiety and his own random whims. He has little knowledge regarding the subject matter and no writing skills, and yet he lords over his employees as though they are worthless and dispensable. The worst thing about Matt, though, is his relentless passive-aggressiveness, coupled with his outright refusal to promote himself on social media or reveal himself in person. He is clearly a man who knows that his reputation is downright terrible, and has no choice but to operate via computer screens and Skype conversations as a result. It is incredibly frustrating that this company has been met with such huge financial rewards. Working under Matt made me genuinely depressed; I had no idea where I stood or what I was doing at any given time. I spent years worrying about what he might say to me next, or when he’d “suggest” a new, poorly-devised work scheme in place of a previous arrangement we’d agreed upon, leaving me no choice but to accept. I still haven’t recovered from this experience and it has negatively affected my work life. I’m downright sure that the other, better staff members over at WhatCulture know that Matt is both unqualified for his post and is an all-round terrible manager, but have no choice but to humour him or face the guillotine. It’s sad. He is the work equivalent of a gaslighter - I’m so ashamed that my years of hard work have since served me no favours career-wise, but have made him tons of money. This may sound like a personal rant, but search around the internet and you will find a dozen similar tales of Holmes’ treachery, deceit and shady practices. It was these accounts that inspired me to come forward with my own story. I just hope that he gets his cumuppance in the end.

Advice to Management

Hire a professional to manage the company; Matt Holmes should take a back seat, or disappear entirely.

WhatCulture2018-11-26
  8. "Most comfortable I've felt in a job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at WhatCulture full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's an incredibly laid back environment where everyone chats to everyone. There's about 20 people or so in the office who all get along and have a laugh with each other. Staff nights out on payday each month, as well as when anyone fancies a pint/good food after work. There's a pool table/darts board/PS4 if you need time to unwind or fancy a game of something at lunch time. There's a bunch of different... channels that people work on, so it's easy to work on something you're interested in, whether that be Film & TV, Gaming, Wrestling, or Sport. Whilst there's a nice cafe on the ground floor of the building to get food, someone will usually mention in the works group chat that they fancy a Maccies/KFC etc and then everyone piles in and it gets delivered in. This usually happens a couple of times a week. Five-a-side football for anyone who fancies it happens once a week after work. We play each other, so first 10 or so to want to play is more than welcome. Nobody is actually fit enough to play, it's just for a laugh. Everyone now and then we'll all go play mini-golf or on scavenger hunts/days out set up by management and paid for by the company. Quiz days are a thing where management will put a quiz on during work hours and we'll get into teams and do the quiz whilst eating pizza and drinking a couple of beers. It's a good laugh.

Cons

Job structuring could use some work. Other than the main two bosses, everyone else is seemingly on the same level, which can sometimes make certain projects that we're working on a bit confusing. There's no middle management (on paper) basically, and it could probably benefit from that.

WhatCulture2018-10-10
  9. "Appreciated the great communication and advice"

Current Freelancer - Voice Over Artist in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at WhatCulture

Pros

Although my work as a host / voice over never made it to the publishing stage, I appreciated the freedom of creativity encouraged by the team. Definitely recommend VO’s to flex their talent here if given the chance.

Cons

No bad experiences on my part, save from perhaps not making it the the publishing stage but that’s mostly my fault.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing. Always a fan.

WhatCulture2018-03-18

"Worst management experience I've ever had"

Former Employee - Games Writer/Tech Writer in London, England

I worked at WhatCulture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enthusiastic colleagues who share a passion for writing and pop culture. Decent standard of writing and good feedback from editors. My work for WhatCulture helped me get onto the career path I really wanted.

Cons

Dreadful, bullish management by CEO Matt Holmes, who communicated exclusively through Skype text chat, and was overbearing and unfriendly from Day One - sending me negative feedback from editors and insisting that I don't mention anything about it to the editors themselves, calling my work "lousy", and constantly reminding me that he didn't believe I was right for the job. I learned not to take this personally, as... most writers in the London office where I worked were subjected to the same treatment. No stability - I was one of several writers hired to work at WhatCulture's new London office in September 2015. One by one I watched most people in the office get sacked for the most tenuous reasons. My turn came in January 2016, when the CEO cited trust issues as the reason for firing me. The CEO seemed to take it on himself to make sure that employees never felt secure in their jobs, presumably believing that this was the way to make employees work harder. Uncertain roles - I applied for the role of Games Writer, but soon after being told I got the job, I was told that if I didn't work 70-80% on the tech section, then "we're wasting our time and this isn't going to work". Upon saying that, he put me on the spot, and demanded that I come up with 10 article ideas there and then to "show him I get what he's looking for". It was incredibly militaristic and stressful, and reflected my experience throughout. Untenable targets - The CEO demanded that I (and most writers, as far as I'm aware) write 10 list articles a week - around 5000-6000 words a day. Having spoken to fellow staff, no one was hitting these mammoth targets, yet when Matt would pick out writers to bully over Skype, he would often cite 'not hitting targets' as the reason (I should stress that last I checked in mid-2016, 4 of the 10 most popular articles in the Gaming section were authored by me, with millions of views between them, and generating continuous 'pay-per-click' revenue for the company).

Advice to Management

Let editors do their job. The section editors have excellent knowledge of their given topics - certainly more than the CEO - yet the CEO had a habit of micro-managing sections and writers through Skype chat. One week, I'd be pitching to the section editor, the next I'd be pitching to the CEO, who demonstrated several times that we lacked knowledge in that particular field. In the London office, it seemed like he'd... pick a different staff member each week to micro-manage, criticise and - frankly - bully. Communicate directly with employees, listen to them - With my role so uncertain, I asked several times to have a meeting with the CEO to discuss my role at the company, but every time this was refused. I never spoke to Matt Holmes in person, apart from when he shook my hand at the WC Christmas party while barely making eye contact. In my experience and that of colleagues, the CEO (and co-CEO Peter Willis) avoid direct contact with employees as much as possible.

WhatCulture2017-09-13