When I Work Reviews | Glassdoor

When I Work Reviews

Updated 15 Jul 2019

3.5
When I Work CEO Chad Halvorson (no image)
Chad Halvorson
Pros
  • "leadership team has a clear vision to help the hourly workforce(in 6 reviews)

• "Free snacks and fun work events(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "It's a start-up going through some of the common growing pains(in 7 reviews)

• "Very little female representation in upper management(in 4 reviews)

1. "Anonymous"

I have been working at When I Work full-time

Pros

-Best culture I've seen ever. -They treat you right -Great pay -Easy work -Tons of growth

Cons

None really. Maybe location depending on what you're a fan of?

Advice to Management

Chad's a born leader. Honest, puts customers first, and is making a really positive difference.

When I Work2018-03-30

June 6, 2018VP of Talent and Culture

Thank you for the review. Please keep passing feedback along to us and we wish you continued success with the When I Work team!

2. "Oiled machine"

I worked at When I Work full-time

Pros

One of the better-organized startups you'll find in Minneapolis. Great leadership from the top.

Cons

Minneapolis location instead of St. Paul... which I know is probably a bad con.

When I Work2019-02-12

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at When I Work full-time

Pros

This is the first job I have ever had where I feel very comfortable doing what I do with the people I am surrounded by. I have a very passionate team and leaders, and it is cool to see our CEO come from humble beginnings as a fellow tech guy as well. Clean office, can be kind of noisy on the customer service side. Everyone is really friendly and wants to help you succeed. Easy light rail ride to the office. i... also dont see how people are saying the office isnt diverse... we have an awesome mix of people of all backgrounds, genders and races.

Cons

The only con and its something that I dont really know why it isnt already available is unlimited PTO. I feel like for a company that has won as many awards as it has and how incredibly hard we work, it would feel really nice to be given unlimited pto so I dont have to worry about things such as my kid getting sick and needing to take the entire day away, therefore also draining my vacation time with my kids. I have... heard this from many people. WIW's employee demographic is mainly 25-40 year olds that are just now having small children and it would be nice to not feel limited to a few weeks for the year. We also lost two really amazing senior level devs which worries me, but I am hoping whatever we couldnt have offered them, we can accomodate in the future so that we dont lose sharp people that help build our awesome products.

Advice to Management

I know we have been in heads-down mode for a while as we shift and grow as a company, but its really nice when we get to take a break at least once every two weeks to pat ourselves on the back and do something group-minded like happy hours or outings. The dev team is a wildly

When I Work2018-11-12

"Employee and Customer Satisfaction Should Both Be a Priority"

I worked at When I Work full-time

Pros

This is a great place to begin if you are new to the start-up world. When I Work has developed a strong product and a very satisfied customer base. The product message and product knowledge is strong across departments, and the teams are always happy to help new hires. There are very loyal individual contributors that truly love the product and message. The excitement about the service and genuineness of helping... the customers is apparent.

Cons

Unfortunately, the people-development is lacking. As strong as the product and customer culture is, the staff do not get elevated to their fullest potential. This is largely from the lack of management engagement with the individuals on their team. There were many re-organizations of the teams and new goals/targets, that there never seemed to be a focus on stopping to really evaluate how the people were performing... to help the customers win. Since this is an SMB-focused organization, the environment is highly transactional, so every action by the individuals is heavily metric-based. This had turned the internal company to be so focused on the metric, that the pure joy of working with the customers had lost its charm.

Advice to Management

Stick with a goal and shoot for that for an extended period of time. Evaluate the performers, work with them if they aren't hitting the numbers. Is there a morale issue, do they need a mentor/coach, do they need product training, do they need help coming up with a product-feature that fits the goal of the org...etc? It all starts with a conversation and aligned/communicated goal to move the needle. Review your... middle management. Are they the right fit - culturally?

When I Work2018-10-29

"Churn issues on the sales team"

I worked at When I Work full-time for less than a year

Pros

-flexibility in schedule (not a big deal if you need to work from home or come in late, etc. -fun events for employees (Pride celebration, national doughnut day, mile markers for customers, and more!) -loved the office space / location / layout -free snacks / drinks -stipend for traveling to work (a set amount each month or an unlimited metro pass) -great product

Cons

-a 'moving target' in terms of company goals / quarterly goals / success measurements -upper management offers very little transparency (a few managers have been let go very suddenly and without explanation) -if you're "in" with your manager/team leader, then you're set, but if you are targeted then beware! -lack of diversity -from my perspective, the inability to meet and uphold many of the core values that... they preach/hold close.

Advice to Management

Please work to improve communications between upper management and their direct reports. My experience at WIW was always pretty average, however there is a lot of "clique-y" things that happen between your management teams and your senior employees. Very hard to navigate when you first start.

When I Work2018-10-09

October 26, 2018VP of Talent and Culture

Thank you for your input and for your service to When I Work. We’re glad you thought highly of our product and took advantage of some of the perks while you were with us. We do recognize that it can be disruptive to change goals or measurements and we don’t take that lightly. When we learn something that changes our perspective, however, we can’t help but take action. The management team is sensitive to this. It’s feedback we’ve received in our employee surveys and we are making it a priority to minimize disruptions. That said, in a growing and evolving business we can always expect some level of change. In the rare instances where it has occurred, we have chosen to take a position where we do not broadly share details of why an employee, including a manager, may leave the business without notice. This may be right or wrong but it’s how we’ve chosen to handle, erring on the side of privacy for the exiting individual. As for diversity, we are proud of and encouraged by the events we’ve participated in. They are giving us a foothold with other organizations and with diverse talent, which is exciting. We’re in it for the long haul, and also with an eye on benefitting our broader tech community. So, while we’re encouraged we’ve increased our applicant and hiring flow in certain areas, we acknowledge we have additional progress to make. We push ourselves to choose the best events and really appreciate the employee engagement we’ve gotten from these endeavors. Employee satisfaction is one of our core company objectives. It’s why employee participation in our monthly, anonymous surveys is so heavily encouraged. While we’re disappointed your experience at When I Work was ‘average,’ we’re proud of the world-class scores we see across every team, including Sales. We hope you shared your perspective in your exit interview as well, and wish you well in your future endeavors!

6. "Great place to gain experience"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at When I Work full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing coworkers who will help you learn and get better Free snacks and fun work events The product itself is great Free healthcare and other great benefits Casual environment but people still work hard

Cons

There are different cons depending on which team you are on. None of the cons outweigh the positives of though.

When I Work2018-09-06

"Horrible upper management"

I have been working at When I Work full-time for more than a year

Pros

Product is solid, office location couldnt be any better, big need for what we are solving, and fast moving space.

Cons

Biggest concern is the executive team, starting with the CEO. They have shown over and over that they don't care about their employees growth and career paths. No upside mobility, all mid level and leaderao hires have been outside hires. They only care about the biz and not the best interest of their employees. There should be a happy medium... Otherwise people will continue to leave.

Advice to Management

Address my concerns

When I Work2018-09-20

September 23, 2018CEO

Hi - Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback. I'd like to learn more about what you're seeing in re: to lack of upward mobility. Over the last few months there have been several internal promotions, hires and expanded responsibilities. Just off the top of my head and spot checking LinkedIn profiles; Joe, Sam, Emily, Toni, Sara, Elle, Brady, and Corey have all either been promoted into bigger/new roles or had their responsibilities expanded. Yes, in some cases, individuals aren't yet ready for bigger roles so we hire externally—which I think it is well balanced—but that doesn't mean there isn't an opportunity for us to learn or get better. I'd love to sit down with you and discuss examples where you've seen the opposite to be true. Hit me up on Slack if you want to discuss. Thanks! -Chad

"Great Co-workers, Abysmal Management"

I worked at When I Work full-time

Pros

There are tons of passionate, smart, and creative people across various teams at the company I've made plenty of long-lasting friendships with others that I will continue to maintain. Brand new office in the NorthLoop neighborhood, convenient location with quick access to almost anywhere in Mpls. Top of the line employee benefits in terms of insurance and data/transportation stipends. Employees are often... provided food or lunch free of cost.

Cons

While this is by no means the worst company or job that I have worked for, the manager that I reported to at the time of me leaving was personally the worst manager I've worked under in my career, and my reason for leaving the company. No real thought or legwork was put into policy changes for our team, as many changes that were made seemed to be the result of a spur of the moment choice without any preparation... or guidance behind it. We were always told that we would "get more information later". In cases where an employee would try to come forward and express their frustration or disagreement with something they were often treated very dismissively and viewed as a "disgruntled" employee. Some managers do not seem to be willing to listen to an employee's point of view or opinion on a situation if it doesn't line up with the manager's own opinion on the situation. I also got the sense that management did not have any real sense of trust in my team as a whole, or me specifically. That lack of trust seemed to bleed into the majority of our 1:1 interactions, which are dreaded by the majority of the employees on that team. Management is oftentimes completely unempathetic or unaware of struggles and frustration that employees are going through. Many "advancement opportunities" that the company likes to brag about are in fact lateral moves (success/care/sales) or roles that are filled by outside applicants. Even in situations where an internal candidate already has been performing that job role during the company's job search, they are still denied the promotion in favor of another external canidate in multiple cases.

Advice to Management

Please take a closer look at some of the management that is at the company now, as they seem to be actively hampering the happiness of the employees that work underneath them and are chasing them out the door one by one. Be more diligent in the hiring and interview process. Be willing to ACTUALLY listen to all of the employees for the company, and not just ACT like the company cares about the opinion of every worker... as lip service.

When I Work2018-06-26

September 7, 2018VP of Talent and Culture

Thank you for your service to When I Work and for taking the time to share your opinion of your work experience here. We’re happy to hear that you were able to create long lasting relationships with the talented team here and to hear that you enjoyed some of the facility-related perks and our employee benefits. As far as taking feedback into consideration, one of the mechanisms we use is an eNPS (Employee Net Promoter Score) survey which provides us both metric-based data and written feedback from all employees. With this, our commitment is to close that feedback loop with employees and take action on items; in fact, in the survey itself we have received kudos from employees, thanking us for following through on our commitments to them. Some of the adjustments we make as a result of the eNPS feedback are shared more broadly and others are covered off on at a team or individual level, depending on what’s most logical. Additionally, our open door policy extends to the CEO level which may not be completely unique, but it is something we stand by. While this isn’t an environment of absolute consensus to make every business decision, we do believe in timely, transparent communications and openly encourage feedback and questions. The number of promotions and position & department expansion opportunities we’ve had across the org this year are not only quite legit, they are also exciting and energizing to all of us (35 and counting!). In closing, we’re thankful so many of our employees are engaged, which is a differentiator for us and and we consider the constructive feedback we receive to be a part of the proof of engagement. If folks feel listened to, they will continue to tell us what they think and we respect their input as much as we value their contributions to our success.

9. "Mission driven, startup culture"

Current Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at When I Work full-time for less than a year

Pros

On a daily basis I get to see my contributions impact our customers - this alone is incredibly motivating and fulfilling. The engineering culture is humble, pragmatic, and curios - ready to prioritize speed to value, learning, and helpfulness over being right. Its obvious Chad cares deeply about understanding and connecting with our customers, and readily shares this compassion with the company every two weeks in... the all hands. The Senior Leadership team is incredibly transparent when it comes to data and execution, and empathetic when it comes to managing.

Cons

I guess I wish there was an easier way to turn off work when I'm at home. I really enjoy digging in with the folks around me and solving our customers problem.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work :D

When I Work2018-03-19

March 21, 2018VP of Talent and Culture

Wow-thank you for this enthusiastic review! We really love hearing that employees can see they are making a difference for our customers and we challenge ourselves to share the most pertinent and timely information with employees. It’s not just about empowering-we believe our employees already kick off their days from a place of power and we seek to be there to support them and to cheer them on (most recently over chocolate and toffee covered pretzels). We’re glad you’re off to such a great start with us and keep up the awesome work!

"Continue to grow and remember your roots"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at When I Work full-time for more than a year

Pros

My coworkers were smart and shared their knowledge Solved challenging tech problems People were using the features I helped create - my/our code was used

Cons

Things moved fast, changed quite a bit and could be chaotic - for the right person that's a huge plus but for some a negative

Advice to Management

Growing as fast as you have try to hold on to those unique things from the When I Work days like French Fry day

When I Work2018-02-20

March 21, 2018VP of Talent and Culture

Hello and thank you for taking the time to post a review. We’re glad your experience was one where you felt your colleagues were smart, that your code was leveraged and that your work was challenging. For this type of software environment, change is something I think we all expect and we worked in 2017 to hone our focus as a business to lessen excess noise and/or wasted time. Have no fear - the story of French Fry day (the lore around this story seems to morph with time, as all good stories do) will always be a part of the fabric of the company, even as we welcome new events and folklore into the mix. Thanks again for your post here and for all your contributions to When I Work.

Found 53 reviews