Whidbey General Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Geri Forbes

1. "Lack of Leadership"

I worked at Whidbey General Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great and you only have to work 24 hours a week to get the highest contribution. The pay seems to be relatively competitive even though it's an island job.

Cons

Management does not have a unified message. There is a definite lack of trust between management and the employees because the unions have run rampant. There are very few written policies and answers change significantly depending on who you ask and who you are. There has been huge turnover in the senior management.

Advice to Management

Find someone who can not only have a vision for the organization but can see the path on how to get there.

2. "Coworkers great, admin needs help"

Pros

Great co-workers who take pride in their jobs and take great care of patients.

Cons

Administration needs help. Bad PR lately and need shaken up a bit, although now that is coming, so hopefully it will only get better.

3. "Whidbey General"

Former Employee - Medical Technology in Coupeville, WA
    Former Employee - Medical Technology in Coupeville, WA

I worked at Whidbey General Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a job and supports the surrounding community. There is a huge amount of potential if managed correctly. Hopefully new management will come into the hospital to reorganize.

Cons

Very Very poor management. The entire hospital is in shambles and the community confidence is very low. They have devastated alot of people's careers and life on this small beautiful island.

Advice to Management

Support you personnel and create a supportive environment so the patients have a good experience.

4. "Poor management in most departments resulting in departments working against each other instead of together."

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Whidbey General Hospital part-time

Pros

Convenience - only hospital on the island (besides the Naval hospital).
    Good place to gain some experience.

Cons

Many departments have poor management which results in poor communication and poor outcomes. While working here, I noticed major hostility between departments. A constant "blame game" so to speak. I brought it to my own manager's attention a couple of times, as well as had other employees... but nothing ever changed.

I was also a patient of WGH while I lived on the island, so I witnessed things from that point of view as well. I worked there for a short period of time, so I wasn't a well-known face in the departments I went in for patient visits. I actually got to witness employees complaining about the department I worked in to each other, and going as far as to tell me that something (my department) did was why they couldn't do their own job. They didn't know I was an employee which is what brought it full circle for me. There are horrible lateral relationships between departments. A facility that cannot learn to work as a whole will always struggle to keep patients as well as employees, both of which are important.

Most people I spoke with, regardless of department, were unsure if they would be happy continuing to work here.

Advice to Management

Work together and educate other employees on the importance of strong lateral relationships. The hospital does not function because of just one department alone.

5. "Cross training was essential!!!"

Current Employee - CT/Radiologic Technologist in Coupeville, WA
    Current Employee - CT/Radiologic Technologist in Coupeville, WA

I have been working at Whidbey General Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great flexibility, manager promoted cross training and advanced learning

Cons

Can't complain, I learned a lot there!

6. "A Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Whidbey General Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Close to home; it's the only hospital on this rural island. If you like Kool-Aid, there is plenty of it there.

Cons

Pre-meditated, systematic hostile work environment condoned and encouraged by an administration that rewards department managers, house supervisors, and staff who agree to do administrations' bidding.

Eliminates senior staff at all costs, replacing them with less experienced employees, which equals less pay. This is a two-fold scheme: to save money and to create a cult environment that prefers to employ like-minded Machiavellians.

Administrators publicly praise and commend those who display unethical behavior toward a vulnerable population (the patients), and who violate all sensibilities by allowing abusive employees to continue working there.

Advice to Management

Get out while you can before you are subjected to more scrutiny regarding your lack of stewardship as a public trust/district hospital.

"Rebranding to save face"

Former Employee - Transcriptionist in Coupeville, WA
    Former Employee - Transcriptionist in Coupeville, WA

I worked at Whidbey General Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This hospital is on an island and most work there because of that. Employees belong to a union, which is why they are paid decent wages.

Cons

Whidbey is run by a CEO who is overpaid. They day we were outsourced, he stopped smiling and saying hello. HR laid off transcription dept in the most unprofessional way and even tho they said we could find jobs at the hospital, there weren't any we qualified for. CEO said he didn't attend this meeting because of a sick relative. Right.
    Now I find out they don't accept my health insurance, obtained thru the affordable care act. Does that make any sense? A public hospital that doesn't accept United Healthcare Community Plan. I can go to the ED thankfully, as EMTALA forces the hospital to examine and stabilize a patient coming to the ED.
    The board of commissioners have changed their monthly meetings to start at 7:00 am instead of 6:00 pm, so most of the public probably won't attend.
    They are four million in debt and blame it on Meditech.
    Latest trouble was a nurse assaulting a patient in the ER.
    Now they think they can change the public's opinion with a rebranding?

Advice to Management

Stop intimidating the staff. CEO is overpaid. Stop blaming Meditech for your problems. Our boss never backed us, never motivated us and never listened. Engineering never solved air quality issues in dept. No ergonomics until someone was hurt.

8. "A company that has been going through a lot of cultural change in last several years. Clearly headed in right direction."

I have been working at Whidbey General Hospital full-time

Pros

High integrity, compassionate, skilled people providing healthcare to our community. High level of care (cancer program just won a big award, very good diagnostic imaging including breast MRI, which is unusual for a small rural hospital). Expanding programs, like hospice. Good salary and benefits (on Whidbey, that's not easy to find). Great co-workers. My boss is awesome. Flexibility in my work. Knowing this isn't just a hospital but rather an integrated network of care up and down the island. Just passed a bond for new inpatient wing and other important improvements. Patient volumes and satisfaction are increasing. This hospital will feel very different in 3-5 years. Working here I feel like I make a positive difference to the community.

Cons

Whidbey General has been inconsistent over the years in the quality of care it's provided. You'll meet one person who loves the hospital and another who would never go there again. There is too much old thinking--we've always done it a certain way, etc.

Advice to Management

Be as open, transparent and vulnerable as possible, and when you feel like you have gone as far as you can, go a bit further.

"Hostile work environment, inefficient management, terrible place for employees to thrive."

Current Employee - Laboratory Worker in Coupeville, WA
    Current Employee - Laboratory Worker in Coupeville, WA

I have been working at Whidbey General Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and pay. Sorry cannot think of any other good reasons to work here. Almost all senior people at WGH are currently seeking employment elsewhere.

Cons

Gossip, hostile work environment, treated with disrespect and talked down to, management is inexperienced with managing people and that shows. Everyone is out for themselves, no camaraderie or real team work. No room for advancement, no quality of work.

Advice to Management

Get bought out by a company that knows what their doing and get rid of all current administrators.

10. "Wish there were more advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Patient Access in Coupeville, WA
    Current Employee - Patient Access in Coupeville, WA

I have been working at Whidbey General Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are very friendly. Always have training to improve customer service. Managers seem to really care what their employees feel. The CEO will speak to all employees no matter what level he or she is at. They are always looking for ways to improve the hospital.

Cons

Advancement opportunity is not really present.

Advice to Management

provide more advancement opportunities to employees.