Whirlpool Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Whirlpool Corporation CEO Marc Bitzer
Marc Bitzer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/Life balance can be difficult to maintain but it is promoted and supported" (in 53 reviews)

• "In a small town with no other employers - don't trap yourself into moving here because the only opportunity for work is Whirlpool" (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Invested in community and work/life balance"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Whirlpool is a global company that still feels like a small company. The value placed on support of the surrounding community makes me feel good about the company I work for. The investment that Whirlpool makes in ensuring a valuable work/life balance for their employees reinforces that feeling.

Cons

As with any midwestern company, trekking in through the snow and adverse weather can be tough during the winter months. That's where the ability to work remote though is a great benefit.

Whirlpool Corporation Response

Oct 31, 2018 – Communications Manager

We love that you feel good about Whirlpool and recognize how invested we are in the communities we operate in. Spreading a little joy to people within our communities matters!

2. "Fabric Care Technician/Service Engineering"

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Benton Harbor, MI

Pros

Cons

Young, disengaged management, nepotism

Advice to Management

Treat employees better and be fair and consistent to ALL EMPLOYEES, not pick and chose who gets preferential treatment.

Whirlpool Corporation Response

Nov 28, 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for over 10 years of service! "Flexible work/home balance, great employee benefits, room for growth and advancement." We couldn't have said it better! We also thank you for your... More

3. "Continually evolving"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for Whirlpool for 11 years. During that time I have experienced multiple manufacturing locations, the technical side with Global Information Systems and even HR. The common theme is that everyone wants the company to succeed and meet our goals.
    Whirlpool is great because there are opportunities to be a part of every facet of the business and they are willing to help you get there.
    It sounds cliche, but the people really make the difference. Almost all of the people I work with are driven to make us successful and are willing to roll up their sleeves to make it happen.

Cons

While it is good to move across the organization, it can be a very political process to move up through the organization. Some things that are expected to move up include: enough time in current role (over 1 year), solid back ground for the role you are applying for (can be difficult since this is a promotion), available space for your race/gender (white males have difficulty moving up since diversity is forced), personal connection to hiring group (must meet outside of the interview process).

This is a very large organization that is working to operate more globally. This means that there is much more work to make a change since you are working to align the updated standards with multiple regions. This may be a difficult shift for people coming from smaller companies.

Advice to Management

There have been multiple RIFs (Reduction In Force) over the last few years followed by multiple new hires. While it is good to refresh the organization, there are a couple other tools that could be better utilized.
    Term limits for roles - Don't let someone stay in the same role for more than 4 years. This will challenge the employees to continually learn and improve.
    Let people go - RIFs should not be the only time we make cuts. If we have poor performers, then give People Leader the tools/processes they need to let those people go (after you have tried to help them improve - PIP).
    Strive for equality, not for forced diversity. While minorities and race are easy to measure, it does not ensure diversity of thought. We do not want to trade one type of discrimination for another.

4. "15 Years and Counting"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Proud to work for Whirlpool, a company who lives and leads with it's core values: Respect, Integrity, Diversity & Inclusion, Teamwork and Spirit of Winning
    - The talent this organization has is unmatched. Bright, innovative, fun leaders who want to see their people develop professionally.

Cons

-Having worked in sales, I see first hand the incredible innovation we have. Just feel we are slow to launch and bring it to market.

"Great Integrity but lacking in employee health actions"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am grateful to work for a company that has such great integrity and treats their customer's with respect and caring.

Cons

I work in the call center. We are tethered to our desks by our telephone and sit for long periods of time.

Advice to Management

Whirlpool could go much further to help employees become or stay healthy such as providing stand up desks when requested, without doctor's notes, so there is an option to sit or stand. Whirlpool could also provide more breaks, rather than going by the minimum required by law, to ensure their employees are getting up and moving around more often. With more and more studies coming out how horrible sitting for extended periods of time Whirlpool is definitely behind the ball on this one. This is in line with Whirlpool's stated commitment to health. It's time to put those words into action.

6. "17 years and counting!"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Whirlpool Corporation enabled me to grow my career in the past 17 years. The company is what you make of it. I have always been able to seek the mentorship and expertise of others. Its the amazing people who make this company great.

Cons

The appliance industry is under more pressure than its ever had with the recent Tariffs. The procurement organization was driving to the lowest pricing disregarding long term relationships, strategies and innovation. It has however, in the last year, evolving again, to a more systematic, and strategic methods.

Advice to Management

Bravo to the leadership for focusing on diversity (gender, ethnicity, lifestyles etc) and also valuing emotional intelligence. It all matters and will help our product leadership.

7. "Long time employee"

Current Employee - Designer in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Designer in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at Whirlpool Corporation for almost 30 years, and I've enjoyed the experience. Great people and a culture of integrity make it a wonderful place to be!

Cons

There are negatives in every situation, but I feel the company does an amazing job overall in keeping with their values while maintaining a huge presence in the world-wide appliance industry.

Advice to Management

Thank you for a wonderful work experience these many years!

8. "Anniversary"

Current Employee - Senior Field Service Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Field Service Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Whirlpool is a place where everyone has a voice and individuals are important. While rewards in individual production, a constant team effort that makes you secure that you do not have to do it alone.

Cons

Do not have much to say about this subject.

Advice to Management

I believe in whirlpool as a brand and part of life for everyone. I would like to see larger roles and responsibilities available Herron the west coast

9. "Best Year of My Career"

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Volunteer Opportunities, Growth Opportunities, Innovation, Flexible Work Environment, Work/Life Balance, and Personal Development

Cons

I don't have any cons honestly.

10. "Strong, well-respected company!"

Current Employee - Financial in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Financial in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still one of the few companies that rewards their employees' performance with annual increases and company performance bonus. A company that is dedicated to growth and development of their workforce and one that gives back to their community.

Cons

As a corporation, sometimes we are slow to respond to innovation and going-to-market, as well as implementing most current technology/tools to enhance job performance/productivity.

Advice to Management

Never forget a company's greatest asset is their people.