Whirlpool Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Whirlpool Corporation Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig
Jeff M. Fettig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements help with work/life balance (in 84 reviews)

• Great work environment to be in (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • This made work-life balance virtually impossible (in 40 reviews)

• It's a small town with very little to do (in 39 reviews)

"Solid Midwest Company"

Current Employee - Senior Procurement Manager in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Procurement Manager in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great Pay for the location
    - Great Benefits (7% 401k match, flexible work arrangement, 1/2 day Friday's in the summer, deep appliance discounts, new offices, ....)
    - Diverse work environment and work force
    - Strong Community and Socially Aware Company
    - Strong ethics and morals
    - Ability to move up and across different competencies if you succeed
    - Top talent environment
    - Educational reimbursement

Cons

- Matrix organization leading to un-managed conflicts on trade-off decisions
    - Whirlpool Culture makes many trade-offs for speed and cost; employee ratings has many competing against peers in a non-productive manner, lack of documentation leads to same mistakes being made over again, willing to overlook quality to meet deadlines (craftsman issues, safety is still high priority), Opt out of following cross functional team direction by process partners since they have different goals in a matrix org., and rewards based on personal performance not necessarily what a person did to improve the larger team and org.
    - Performance based forced ranking (5-10% pushed out annually, could be a positive to some)
    - Small town feel where you run into everyone you work with, before, during and after work hours
    - Not a lot of social activities (outside of 3 summer months) for younger generation
    - Relationship based company (can be about who you know, not what you know)

Advice to Management

- Need to continue to focus on a collaborative culture where there are better processes around trade-off decisions between job functions.
    - Start to reward managers for taking on lean activities (including work force efficiency) that benefit the larger organization as a whole. People have learned to look busy, which is different than being productive.

"Not perfect, but still a great career builder, good lessons learned, super people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI

I worked at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Provides fantastic training opportunities and career growth, lateral and upward. Great products thoughtfully engineered. Everyone from manufacturing to executive leadership were concerned and extremely passionate about quality and a consumer-centric mindset. Lots of intellectual tools provided to get the job done - innovative thought rewarded consistently. Great commitment to community and giving back. Continuing commitment to diversity with inclusion. Lots of voluntary mentoring going on between higher executives and promising talent. Opportunities to serve on extracurricular committees. Super people across the organization - fostered great camaraderie - made some of the best friends of my life there. Two excellent CEO's served while I was there - always felt the company was overall in great hands, and in my opinion still is.

Cons

Saw many get promoted into people leadership positions (e.g. director and above) because they were "super smart" technically, yet their complete lack of interpersonal and people leadership skills was ignored. They need to define promotion-worthy talent as having a balanced combination of technical competency, people/soft skills/EQ and potential for further growth. Focusing on one element meant some people having their careers" get ahead of them" and then floundering; which in turn often caused their subordinates with great talent to exit the company.

As a public NYSE company, the end of the each quarter dictated our strategy. Thousands of us work for months to set up our bottom-up, annual sell-in forecasts and product plans for the next year, then the top-down would come back and dictate a much higher and unrealistic final forecast. Then, when the numbers started to come up short, our organized activity plans and budgets would be thrown to the four winds to make our numbers and pander to the good opinion of a handful of Wall Street analysts. Lots of "draining the swamp" (pulling sales forward) to hastily make the quarterly earnings estimates.

Associates are sometimes moved too quickly through their roles (when I was there, the average was 18 months) without the opportunity to truly master the skills, or to experience the added success of building and being part of a close-knit, cohesive team.

After a promotion or a lateral move, many were required to "hang on" to duties of their old role for an unreasonable amount of time. When this happened, employees started their new role at a disadvantage because they couldn't focus on getting quickly up to speed in the new.

Culture of meetings... meetings... and more meetings... in my leadership role, I was booked in so many meetings that I couldn't decline, that many days I was unable to start my "hands on work" until after 4 PM. Many of the meetings were "project status check-ins" rather than reserved only for true collaboration and decision making. This made work-life balance virtually impossible.

Advice to Management

Value EQ as highly as IQ. Value mature, experienced talent as well as the twenty-something new B-school grads. Unfortunately witnessed high-performing folks being "aged-out", causing huge brain-drain just to reduce salary expenses.

If BOD and exec leadership are going to dictate the forecasts in the end anyway, then consider how much more value teams could create rather than being required to spend 2-3 months on building bottom-up numbers and going through the alignment process for the next year, just to have that input over-ridden.

Such a wonderful company overall - give the same amazing care and respect to your talent as you give to your consumers. Apply innovation methodology to employee retention and core business issues, not just new products and services.

"Undergoing Transformation"

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work Life balance, good benefits,

Cons

Undergoing Massive change... Higher Management wanted to reach quickly without thinking teams/people not ready for change

Advice to Management

Listen and help good people and make sure to retain those without putting under unnecessary pressure

4. "Assembly Associate"

Current Employee - Assembly Associate in Marion, OH
    Current Employee - Assembly Associate in Marion, OH

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wages compared to other factories.

Cons

Less opportunities for gaining experience, improvement and quality of life.

5. "Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Finance Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Finance Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI

I worked at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company who focuses on developing their internal talent.

Cons

Location is very challenging as it not close to any major city.

Advice to Management

Open satellite offices in Chicago for employees who commute

"Over-all a good place to work"

Current Employee - Machine Shop in Greenville, OH
    Current Employee - Machine Shop in Greenville, OH

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Room for advancement
    Friendly people (mostly, as with anywhere ;) )
    Paid Time Off (PTO) amount really nice per years of service (ex. 25 days for 15+ yrs)
    Great pay & benefits (health, dental, life, short/long term disability insurance)

Cons

As with most (if not all) employers, there is favoritism among supervisors and employees (but that is being worked on somewhat)
    Have really clamped down on unscheduled time off (from being able to call in all your days to 12x per year to 5x per year). Makes it kinda hard if you have a rough year as far as sickness, unplanned car breakdowns, over-sleep, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Proud to work at an American Manufacturing Facility!
    Might want to loosen up on the "emergency PTO" policy...that's a little rough.
    We might be hourly, but we're still adults. If we can't properly manage our time (use it all in 3 months) then that should be our problem

7. "Technician Senior"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people i work work with are very professorially, hardworking and friendly.
    The company allow time off for family emergency.

Cons

Communication gaps. slow hiring procedures

Advice to Management

Better Communication of up coming projects

8. "Trade Customer Support"

Current Employee - TCS Specialist in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - TCS Specialist in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic company and a wonderful culture. Great values and "walks the walk" when it comes to pursuing excellence and balancing the company and the customer. You are made to feel valued if you come in every day and do your job. Management really listens to the voice of employees. Flexible work arrangements help with work/life balance.

Cons

Limited opportunities to move up in the ranks if you're on a satellite campus -- unless you are willing to relocate. Getting better at change management, but still slow to move on some fronts.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the voice of employees, and keep investing in technologies and people

9. "Whirlpool Working Environment - Observations on 4/2/2017"

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

o Good collaborative environment / good people
    o Good knowledge of the industry, trade partners and consumers
    o Generally, a strong product offering
    o Strong focus on product leadership

Cons

o Geographic locastion (SW Michigan) has a small population. Not great for singles
    o Business outlook for the next few months is questionable
    o Samsung / LG are strong competitors. Whirlpool seems to chasing them instead of leading the industry.

Advice to Management

Continue to put the right investment of time, money and people in product leadership. Do not knee-jerk resources away from this on a potential down market.

10. "Appliance assembly"

Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Evansville, IN

I worked at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits quality products great company

Cons

Seasonal union shop. Point system for attendance

Advice to Management

Stay in the USA please

Showing 424 of 1,156 reviews