Whirlpool Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Whirlpool Corporation Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig
Jeff M. Fettig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements help with work/life balance (in 85 reviews)

• relaxed but good work environment (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • This made work-life balance virtually impossible (in 40 reviews)

• It's a small town with very little to do (in 40 reviews)

"Great place to work if you can see past or learn to live with corporate politics."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Saint Joseph, MI
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Saint Joseph, MI

Pros

It's amazing to see how much work and dedication goes into the US appliance industry. The technical challanes encountered are above and beyond that which you would expect by looking at the surface of the company. The company is extremely good at providing education and training opportunites to employees to help them advance their careers.

Cons

Large behemoth of a company with lots of corporate politicking going on everywhere. Sometimes it seems as if we could accomplish twice as much by eliminating top management and replacing them with individual contributors. Performance reviews are tied to bonuses and are sometimes a controversial topic.

Advice to Management

Management structure is too top-heavy. We could accomplish much more with fewer managers and more individual contributors.

2. "A great place to work."

Current Employee - Contract Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Contract Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

The strong players are dedicated to making Whirlpool the best company. Leadership believes in the products, the team to innovate, and in the sales staff. Whirlpool makes a product you can feel comforatable promoting, they even stand behind the product if it is successful or should it ever fail.

Cons

It's expected that you work long hours and work hard every day.

Advice to Management

Remember that it's okay to play after you work hard all day. Don't forget to spend some time doing something other than working.

"A bit behind the times, but a company that tries to do what is best for its people."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Saint Joseph, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Saint Joseph, MI

Pros

Whirlpool is one of the few places I've found where management really does respect a work - life balance. Vacations are actually time spent without doing any work, unless YOU decide otherwise. When budgets are good, training is offered to about everyone, and attending conferences is quite common. Switching jobs within Whirlpool is quite common every few years unless you don't want to, and several mentoring programs exist if you need help deciding what to do with your career. As for Whirlpool's location, the town is a bit small (commutes are usually under 15 min.), but the beach in the summer is fantastic, and the school system is one of the best in Michigan. There are several networks that anyone can join to help you not only acclimate to the area, but to also make friends and expand your personal network. Day-trips are even possible to bigger cities like Chicago, Grand Rapids, South Bend, and Kalamazoo. Basically, if you get bored living in this town, it's because you decide to be.

Cons

Some of the policies at Whirlpool are a bit archaic. Flex time is only on a case-by-case basis, so if you are moving here from somewhere else, and that is a necessity, make sure you negotiate it up front. Otherwise, hours are something like 7:30am-4pm in some buildings and 8-4:30 in others. There is no on-site or Whirlpool sponsored day care, job sharing is unheard of, and very few people work from home, so factor all of that in to your decisions. Otherwise, Whirlpool falls victim to the beaurocracy that every other tremendously large trans-national company falls into: Processes for everything to the point it can be crippling. It's no where near as bad as government, and to Whirlpool's favor, they do seem to re-evaluate their usefullness periodically to try and lean out anything that is really bad, but you'll never have the flexibility of a small company; it just isn't realistic with a company spread globally.

Advice to Management

I think it is time that Whirlpool did a lot more to update it's policies with flex-time, telecommuting, job-sharing, etc. With rising gas prices, more and more people who commute over 30 minutes are going to want to either work from home some days, or work 4 10-hr days. If we don't want to risk losing those assets, we need to start adapting and NOT on a case-by-case basis. That may work well between an employee and their boss, but no one else they work with tends to abide by it. Offering it to everyone will make it more widespread, and only then will people be more inclined to accept it.

4. "Review of Whirlpool Corporation"

Current Employee - GIS Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI

Pros

The level of freedom allowed as well as growth programs at Whirlpool are great. There are many opportunities to grow and rise in the company. The environment is well suited and very casual. The pay as well as the benefits are also quite good.

Cons

Often, I am left alone at my desk with little to no direction on what it is I actually should be doing or what is competently expected of me. With this, it leaves me often bored and confused at the same time. Often I am put under a manager that is overwhelmed with many projects that focus is derived from what needs to be done at hand. If there were more resources available, more productive work and deeper thought analysis can go into new projects/tools to get desired results.

Advice to Management

Lighten managerial load to allow for better results to show. Also, train the managers to be managers and not send them to the managerial level because of seniority.

5. "Employees are your FIRST customers, Whirlpool! Please remember, "Let no customer be lost because of me.""

Current Employee - Forecast Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Forecast Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI

Pros

largest employer in the area - I work with some really nice, really knowledgeable people

Cons

limited opportunities for promotion - limited opportunities to be hired in for contract employees - pay scale on low end for some jobs

Advice to Management

Give back to the employees who are keeping your company afloat - the day I received 50% ($479.00) of the bonus I qualified for in 2008, I heard on the radio about Mr. Fettig's $7M bonus - and his $12M salary, including that bonus. I can't even afford a decent house to live in on what Whirlpool is paying me. Employees are your FIRST customers, Whirlpool! Please remember, "Let no customer be lost because of me."

6. "Good, safe place to work, but red tape grows on trees"

Current Employee - GIS Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI

Pros

Whirlpool is a company thats also a familly. Most that work here feal like a familly working towards common goals. Executive management is fairly relaxed, and will listen to employees. Since Whirlpool is a very large company, there is always oportunities for growth. Whirlpool is also a fairly solid company, and you know that the company as a whole will make it through the hard times in tact, adapting as needed.

Cons

Whirlpool is very beurocratic. Red tape is a common commodity here. In addition, Whirlpool IT is very disorganized and siloed, making it very inefficient.

Advice to Management

Foster a culture of cooperation and simplicity. Look at a company with a culture that is working for them, such as Microsoft, and focus management objectives to match,

"Good place to challenge yourself, tough market"

Current Employee - Procurement Analyst in Saint Joseph, MI
    Current Employee - Procurement Analyst in Saint Joseph, MI

Pros

Bigger bonus potential than most employers. Performance based. St. Joe area is great place to raise family. Good schools, resort town in summer.

Cons

No other large employers for spouse in area. Compensation is too heavily weighted on bonus. Nice when bonuses are good, but not right now. Single people may as well spend their weekends in Chicago or GR

Advice to Management

Send a clear message on goals and objectives. OPEX is supposedly a pillar, but not supported by all functions. Managing by the quarter sends the wrong message to customers and suppliers. Long term not beneficial.

8. "Great place to start your career."

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Benton Harbor, MI

Pros

Great people, very open and friendly culture. Great place to start your career....lots of developmental opportunities.

Cons

Huge company that opperates inefficiently at times. Lack of training!

Advice to Management

Continuous improvement! Make the company and the way we do business more efficient.

"Change is necessary, but difficult for the eployees."

Former Employee - Director in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Director in Benton Harbor, MI

Pros

Whirlpool is a global leader in its industry and therefore provides opportunity to work in many different countries, as well as opportunity to be involved with innovative products that improve peoples' lives. Honesty and integrity remain principles throughout the organization, leaving no question as to what is the "right thing to do". Whirlpool continues to very visibly support Habitat for Humanity, local United Way efforts, (some) community activities & employee activities. Whirlpool offers a comprehensive and competitive salary & benefits package. Work/life balance is acknowledged by most supervisors and exempt employees are treated pretty fairly and respectfully. Performance issues are handled professionally.

Cons

Mr. Fettig's appointment as CEO, the never-ending Wall Street emphasis on quarterly results and the relatively recent Maytag integration have driven a very results-oriented culture in an organization that is not accustomed to results as the top priority. The changes are apparently necessary to survive in the current environment , with signifacnt business threats from competitors, particularly LG & Samsung, but are difficult for those being down-sized, displaced and eliminated. These changes are creating tension in many locations, thus destabilizing teams of employees that have worked harmoniously for many years. Naturally, increasing benefits costs and shrinking profit margins are also putting pressure on management and hourly employees alike.

Advice to Management

Remain focused on the vision and results, but please remember that it's people that drive them.

10. "Appliance Giant How the good guys win!"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI

Pros

Quality products, Vision and core values of company are a good mesh with my personal values. Whirlpool is very upstanding in all of it's business functions.

Cons

The industry is very tight. There has not been a significant price increase in 40+ years. Everyone has to work VERY hard to keep things moving in the right direction. The strategy that I find the least helpful is the processes used for our GIS support, contract workforces, primarily offshore. In the information age, our data should have more care.

Advice to Management

Rebuild our foundations, since bringing in Maytag, we have been working very hard and very lean.
    Some of our data structures and our business model needs to be reworked to match our business and to be world class.

Showing 431 of 1,185 reviews