Whirlpool Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Whirlpool Corporation Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig
Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements help with work/life balance (in 82 reviews)

• Supportive and inclusive work environment (in 49 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company, with great focus on employee development."

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Benton Harbor, MI

Pros

Very focused on development and transparent communication. There is a lot of engagement and focus on developing you individually for success.

Cons

Nothing that I feel stands out as a weakness. Very relational company, I have seen that become a con for some people who do not work well in that environment.

Whirlpool Corporation Response

Jun 21, 2016 – Creative Services Manager

Thanks for your feedback and transparency!

"Great place for high performing employees. Sucky place for mediocre performers"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Joseph, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Joseph, MI

Pros

Lots of room to grow both upwardly and/or into different areas. In one town we have different product groups, functions(procurement, lab engineering, new platform development, existing platform improvement, finance, marketing, etc).

Cons

A lot of hard work is expected. And Whirlpool seems committed to doing what it takes to survive. I am convinced they will let more people go if the economic times get tougher.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the "doers" and less on powerpoint summaries of other people's work. Slim down the number of leaders director and above. Focus on the development of internal talent, and keep investing in innovation.

3. "KitchenAid Portables has a great team!"

Former Employee - Field Representative in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Benton Harbor, MI

Pros

* Passionate and understanding management; great to work for.
    * Excellent products and commitment to the customer; can have pride in what you represent.

Cons

Upward mobility can be limited if you're unwilling/unable to move to MI, but being in the field is rewarding.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting the people in marketing before they do anything innovative.

5. "A GOOD PLACE TO WORK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clyde, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clyde, OH

Pros

It great for retirement. Whirlpool provides a pension a 401k and several insurance package that you can choose from.

Cons

The jobs are ok but your co-workers might not be. It depend on whom you work with. People don't have to be nice. So ignore them and cruise by until retirement.

Advice to Management

To discuss pensions. Alot of my coworkers don't know if they have it or not.

6. "Fantastic place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI

Pros

The people at Whirlpool are amazing. It's truly a company that thinks about YOU as an important attribute to the business rather than you as a number.

Cons

The biggest downside is the fact that all of the production facilities are in different locations, so it can be quite difficult to understand, knowledge share, and incorporate best practices across various product categories.

Advice to Management

The management team at Whirlpool does a great job of continuously communicating its goals and paths towards accomplishing those goals, however it doesn't demonstrate that its taken employee feedback and really incorporated it into the "next steps" or "refinements."

7. "Very positive place to work."

Current Employee - Good Fair Place to Work in Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Good Fair Place to Work in Findlay, OH

Pros

The high majority of management here at Whirlpool treat you with respect. Promotion from within is BIG here, any job openings are filled within the ranks unless no one wants it. The pay is at the high end of the scale for this area (when I tell people I work at Whirlpool, they always say "Making the big bucks, eh?") I am already making more after less than one year with Whirlpool than I was after 5 with my previous employer. Sure, there is always one moron within the ranks, but by far this has been a very positive work experience for me.

Cons

My only complaint is the fact that you must go through a temp service and work for them for a minimum of 9 months before being considered for hire at Whirlpool. It takes most temps at least 2 years as a temp to get hired in, but last year Whirlpool did more hiring than in the last 3 years combined here, so I was hired in after 9 months.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Don't be afraid to ruffle some feathers, though. There are a few malcontents that bring down others that may need some "counselling".

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Whirlpool Corporation is a global leader in the appliance manufacturing industry and recently celebrated its 100 year anniversary on November 11, 2011. This longstanding history has given our company the experience to compete within a competitive landscape that is constantly evolving. Our company employs over 20,000 American workers and I am proud to be one of them.

While working as a Sales Development Representative, you are required to drive incremental sales growth for a strong consumer brand. These brands include Whirlpool, Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, Maytag, and Amana. I currently manage a territory with accounts like Sears, Lowe’s, Home Depot, and Best Buy. As a Sales Development Representative, you will need to work successfully on teams within a collaborative environment. This position also requires both verbal and written communication skills on a daily basis. You will continue to develop these skills by speaking 2-3 times per month in front of audiences of 50 or more. These skills combined with a desire to win will allow you to successfully execute Whirlpool’s sales strategy.

Cons

This position requires relocation. You must be open to moving anywhere within the USA and your territory will depend on what area is open at the time. If you are fine with moving, this is the job for you. Great people, great product, and great management.

Advice to Management

Management does a great job of responding to direct reports and their feedback. As an American based company, we need to find ways to keep cost competitive with our foreign competition.

"Fast Pace In The Whirlpool In Greenville, Ohio"

Former Contractor - Assembler in Greenville, OH
    Former Contractor - Assembler in Greenville, OH

I worked at Whirlpool Corporation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good for employees that can stay with the job for several years. Temporaries from Kelly start at $10.25 an hour. The average assembler makes $12.40 and the team leaders make $16.50 an hour. The work areas are very clean and organised.

Cons

The KitchenAid Hand Mixers are assembled and tested by teams of six workers and one is completed every 30 seconds so you have to concentrate on the job you are assigned so this is not for people that don't have a serious attitude about assembly work.

Advice to Management

I am gratefull that Whirpool management brought the Kitchen Aid Hand Mixer production back from China and encourage them to do all Whirlpool production here in our country.

10. "Very positive experience at whirlpool"

Current Employee - HR Generalist in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - HR Generalist in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very empathetic towards employees lots of opportunities

Cons

Everything is consensus-based takes a long time to get anything done

Advice to Management

Just make decisions don't try to get consensus for every single thing

11. "A company that balances care for it's employees, consumers and community."

Current Employee - Customer Relations Lead in Cleveland, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Lead in Cleveland, TN

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Empowers front line customer service agents, Shows great care for employee's. Very family oriented atmosphere while maintaining business professionalism. Call center management is unmatched in the industry. Great opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Could have a better employee purchase program. Call center could focus more on recycling.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Thank you!

Showing 177 of 1,088 reviews