Whirlpool Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

1,100 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,100 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements help with work/life balance (in 85 reviews)

• relaxed but good work environment (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • This made work-life balance virtually impossible (in 40 reviews)

• It's a small town with very little to do (in 40 reviews)

"Not perfect, but still a great career builder, good lessons learned, super people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI

I worked at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Provides fantastic training opportunities and career growth, lateral and upward. Great products thoughtfully engineered. Everyone from manufacturing to executive leadership were concerned and extremely passionate about quality and a consumer-centric mindset. Lots of intellectual tools provided to get the job done - innovative thought rewarded consistently. Great commitment to community and giving back. Continuing commitment to diversity with inclusion. Lots of voluntary mentoring going on between higher executives and promising talent. Opportunities to serve on extracurricular committees. Super people across the organization - fostered great camaraderie - made some of the best friends of my life there. Two excellent CEO's served while I was there - always felt the company was overall in great hands, and in my opinion still is.

Cons

Saw many get promoted into people leadership positions (e.g. director and above) because they were "super smart" technically, yet their complete lack of interpersonal and people leadership skills was ignored. They need to define promotion-worthy talent as having a balanced combination of technical competency, people/soft skills/EQ and potential for further growth. Focusing on one element meant some people having their careers" get ahead of them" and then floundering; which in turn often caused their subordinates with great talent to exit the company.

As a public NYSE company, the end of the each quarter dictated our strategy. Thousands of us work for months to set up our bottom-up, annual sell-in forecasts and product plans for the next year, then the top-down would come back and dictate a much higher and unrealistic final forecast. Then, when the numbers started to come up short, our organized activity plans and budgets would be thrown to the four winds to make our numbers and pander to the good opinion of a handful of Wall Street analysts. Lots of "draining the swamp" (pulling sales forward) to hastily make the quarterly earnings estimates.

Associates are sometimes moved too quickly through their roles (when I was there, the average was 18 months) without the opportunity to truly master the skills, or to experience the added success of building and being part of a close-knit, cohesive team.

After a promotion or a lateral move, many were required to "hang on" to duties of their old role for an unreasonable amount of time. When this happened, employees started their new role at a disadvantage because they couldn't focus on getting quickly up to speed in the new.

Culture of meetings... meetings... and more meetings... in my leadership role, I was booked in so many meetings that I couldn't decline, that many days I was unable to start my "hands on work" until after 4 PM. Many of the meetings were "project status check-ins" rather than reserved only for true collaboration and decision making. This made work-life balance virtually impossible.

Advice to Management

Value EQ as highly as IQ. Value mature, experienced talent as well as the twenty-something new B-school grads. Unfortunately witnessed high-performing folks being "aged-out", causing huge brain-drain just to reduce salary expenses.

If BOD and exec leadership are going to dictate the forecasts in the end anyway, then consider how much more value teams could create rather than being required to spend 2-3 months on building bottom-up numbers and going through the alignment process for the next year, just to have that input over-ridden.

Such a wonderful company overall - give the same amazing care and respect to your talent as you give to your consumers. Apply innovation methodology to employee retention and core business issues, not just new products and services.

2. "good workplace"

Pros

relaxed but good work environment

Cons

Not all the people who work there are that smart. Some are

3. "Good place to work"

I worked at Whirlpool Corporation full-time

Pros

Lot of stuff to learn

Cons

Disparity between fulltime WERLD Engineers and normal Engineers in terms of growth,traninings

"Company for retirement plan"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer Projects Lead in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer Projects Lead in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good balance work load and family

Cons

- no clear career path
    - Leadership lacks
    - recommendation needed for growing up

"Former Procurement Specialist"

Former Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Benton Harbor, MI

I worked at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location for 4 months in the summer! Corporate Facilities are new and modern with lots of windows. The pay is above average if you are in a management position and the 401k match is pretty decent. Great discounts on products. Great corporate experience to put on a resume if you can hang in there long enough, lots of early career professionals in leadership roles.

Cons

Whirlpool is really a pretty unethical company. The community they reside in Benton Harbor, MI is in shambles, despite their work with the local United Way Foundation (which equates to an executive dog and pony show golf tournament where sponsors pay big dollars to participate) they could be putting much more money back into the community and they aren't, it's sad really. The work culture itself is very high pressure, it's expected that you be available practically 24 hours a day, without the tools to even do so. Many of the managers are international recruits which have no clue about United States employment regulations which in turn leads to harassment, discrimination, and all sorts of other unethical practices to save money which go unchecked. You will be micro managed here even to the point of not being able to go to the bathroom without being called out and asked where you were. I later ran into lots of people in the community that had been long time employees +25 years and then had been laid off from Whirlpool during one of their cycles left with no where else to really go and little chance of being able to find comparable work without having to move.

There is no training whatsoever, it is expected that you know everything after about 30 days on the job and there and in my experience there was absolutely no flexibility in work schedule, they will want you to sit right at your desk all day long so that you are available.

Their performance rating system forces at least someone in your group to receive a bad review regardless of their performance. It doesn't foster a good working environment, but rather pits everyone against each other.

Advice to Management

The culture has to take a very different change for long term success, the burning people out mentality and micro management will catch up eventually to you. Get rid of unethical people instead of letting them keep running everything.

6. "Great job just not for me"

Current Employee - Floor Labor in Greenville, OH
    Current Employee - Floor Labor in Greenville, OH

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is nice for the area

Cons

Job conditions are fast pass and loud

Advice to Management

Try to be more involved with everyone

7. "Average"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Amana, IA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Amana, IA

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, especially for team leads.

Cons

Benefits are lacking. Temperatures, especially in summer, are unbearable. Lots of ideas with little to no follow through.

8. "Getting worse"

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time

Pros

It's a job, some people are great

Cons

Too many foreign people, jobs are sent to India

Advice to Management

Hire people

9. "good company"

I worked at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

leaders are great at helping you

Cons

downsize areas that are needed

Advice to Management

do not put people in leadership roles with no exp

10. "Great place to work, no issues with coworkers."

Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Clyde, OH
    Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Clyde, OH

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Availability for overtime overall if one wants, easy to say no if you're not interrsted.

Cons

Mandatory overtime every 5-6 weeks usually (work a Saturday shift), can be boring.

Advice to Management

Avoid over producing products so we don't grt backed up.

Showing 1,100 of 1,180 reviews