Whirlpool Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Whirlpool Corporation Reviews

Updated July 24, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements help with work/life balance (in 84 reviews)

• relaxed but good work environment (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • This made work-life balance virtually impossible (in 40 reviews)

• It's a small town with very little to do (in 40 reviews)

"Whirlpool"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company with many resources.

Cons

It's not what you know or how you perform, its who you know and/or work for, that matters for compensation and growth.

Advice to Management

Need better system for fairly rating and rewarding employees.

"Good if you can ignore what's around you"

Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Saint Joseph, MI
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Saint Joseph, MI

I worked at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work is not hard but does keep you busy. The pay is good and the town has a low crime rate and good schools.

Cons

Became more political and divided each year. More processes were added to the product development cycle and more departments. All this contributed to a lack of teamwork and confusion. Not a good place to work if you want to accomplish something each day.

The company succeeds based off the work of a few but the majority of the white collar workers just push paper and delegate.

3. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevensville, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevensville, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great community to raise a family. If you have the drive, you have the ability to do great things to influence your customer base.

Cons

I understand we are manufacturing company, and operating profit is much lower than other industries, but quality should trump cost.

Advice to Management

You need to train individuals who have never managed people before promoting them. Great individual contributors does not equal great managers.

4. "Great first job, bad career choice"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good executive program
    Great mobility if single
    Great place to start career and LEAVE
    Always hiring for sales positions across the US.

Cons

Zero- work life balance
    Women paid less than peers
    poor location- in segregated town
    Low wages for sales
    No questions asked corporate culture
    Layoffs seem to happen every three years
    No career advancement if in dual income family

Advice to Management

Top talent leaves for a reason, understand and correct . If you are a TOP company for creating leaders why is innovation and morale so low?

"HR"

Pros

great employees, highly talented, creative, confident and strong network

Cons

leadership politics and favouritism towards a few people not allowing new recruits to be assimilated

Advice to Management

Stop the politics

6. "Used to love going to work."

Current Employee - Weld Set Up in Clyde, OH
    Current Employee - Weld Set Up in Clyde, OH

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, greatest workforce in the world. Bar none.

Cons

Management is clearly out of touch with the people that actually do the work on the floor. Total lack of respect for skilled trades and seniority. Not allowed to voice an opinion without retaliation. Instead of holding an individual responsible for asinine actions, they just punish everyone, meaning hourly employee's. And god forbid your a normal person. Make no mistake, I am not racist nor do I have anything against gay people, but they are definately put on a pedestal over " NORMAL " people.

Advice to Management

You have the best work force in the world. I agree that it is easier to Manage a broken work environment. Everybody is out to get everybody. I feel that you have lost focus. These people are your bread and butter. What happened to treat people the way you would expect to get treated? But maybe you just don't care?

Whirlpool Corporation Response

Oct 7, 2015 – Sr. Mgr. Corporate Reputation & Interactive Communications

Thanks for your feedback. We do genuinely care about our employees. We are a values-based business that prioritizes Diversity with Inclusion. Our culture isn't a fit for everyone.

7. "Profits over people"

Current Employee - Laborer in Greenville, OH
    Current Employee - Laborer in Greenville, OH

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The plant is very close to home. You will also work with a lot of people that you already know.

Cons

Profit over the people making the product. Very little recognition for the associates making the products. Clear division of "have vs have-not." Too much politics and favoritism.

Advice to Management

Recognize when people are going above and beyond in their job, don't only have interaction with them when you want more. Recognize that the associates should be rewarded for the amazing accomplishments the plant has made as a whole the last 15 years. I.E. In 1999 the plant produced 750,000 and in 2014 over 2.2 million, yet we're told we're not meeting our goals and don't get goal share payouts. (In 1999 we were all but guaranteed to get our goal share payouts of $400 every quarter- last quarter we got $27 after taxes)

8. "Yuck"

Current Employee - Assembler in Mount Gilead, OH
    Current Employee - Assembler in Mount Gilead, OH

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work 4 off 3 and the pay is decent

Cons

It's awlful if you have a family emergcy they point you, they are write up happy on everything insurance is awlful

Advice to Management

You guys don't think we bust our butts while you stand back and watch!! It's 120 degrees out and you won't were your sleeves bc it's to hot and we have to while making 6 dryers a min!! Bull crap and you took away family day at ceder point bc it was to much but you your paying the big guys more bull!! And the way you treat breastfeeding moms is a disgrace you should be turned in for that!!

"Great for young top talent"

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Joseph, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Joseph, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are a young top talent and are part of a leadership development rotational assignment - congrats to you and a great opportunity.

Cons

Young talent is promoted and moved through organization not based on true experiences but rather potential. Many clearly qualified are passed over to promote the up and comers. Many mid to senior level employee's leave because of promotions not happening from within the organization and young leaders with no experience taking over decision making roles without true credentials.

Advice to Management

Stop placing so much emphasis on the new talent and look at who you already have in the organization.

"'Not a mental healthy company'"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1.You have opportunities to move laterally.
    2.You have fair benefits
    3. If you like to travel and be long periods of time away from home that's good.

Cons

1. Whirlpool doesn't spend time training you, they expect that you will learn alone, they call it 'own it'.
    2. Whirlpool uses the PMP system, where your performance is rated every year (that's part of your bonus calculation) this is the most stressful tool to everyone working there since they assess your annual results, be aware that they don't value the effort, they value the results, if you didn't sleep to deliver a goal, but for any reason (under your control or out of your control) the goal is not met, that is under performing.
    3. People is not valued. Whirlpool has a way to trait their people, they don't yell at you, they will make you insecure about your abilities, they will make you feel you aren't capable to do more.
    4. You need to be always available (24/7) to be considered in some point to be promoted. It does not matter the level you are in the company.
    5. In launching programs, expect to travel 50% or more. Not good for people with kids.

Advice to Management

HR is the worst area. They are hiring people with no emotional intelligence. They hire the top class of the best university but they are hiring the dumbest person to trait people. HR does not have any contact with employees. In my 10 years working for Whirlpool I have received communications or have contact with HR two times. They don't even know your name. Managers need to care more about their employees and not just the 'company goals'; that's why people is leaving this company.

Showing 137 of 1,160 reviews