Whisper Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Whisper CEO Michael Heyward
Michael Heyward

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great experience, strong career opportunities, smart team"

I worked at Whisper full-time

Pros

- Amazing coworkers (I feel like I will be friends with these people for the rest of my life)
    - free lunch & dinner
    - no vacation policy (just let them know 2 weeks in advance)
    - product is actually making people's lives better (depression, anxiety, love life etc etc
    - ceo is hardest working person in the company and a really compassionate guy
    -lots of opportunities to grow if you put in the time

I've worked at some pretty big name companies and startups, and I've never enjoyed doing my work as much as I did here at Whisper. The people and energy here are both positive and upbeat. I really liked working for my manager, which we all know is super important. Also, we were working towards big goals, so things always change, which is both invigorating and exciting. I like being able to make a difference with what I do.

Startups are not for everyone-- there is a lot of ambiguity and changes in direction. Some people thrive in that environment while others can't handle it. If a challenging, dynamic environment sounds interesting, there is no smarter or more driven team than at Whisper.

Cons

Startups are not for people who cannot handle stress or ambiguity. Some people are just better off at big tech companies where they can work 9-5 and checkout when they walk out of the office.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and best of luck!

"Stay Away!!"

I have been working at Whisper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees and the effort they make to keep up the show.

Cons

Bad bad bad management, liars and swindlers! Only 2 left CMO and CEO and only because they cant go anywhere.

"Any good review is fake, just like everyone in charge"

Former Employee - Manager in Venice, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Venice, CA

I worked at Whisper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few people here who are lights in the darkness. You get free food, however employees still find ways to whine about it. Office is cool, but that's because it's how the CEO tries to keep employees at a company he's run into the ground.

Cons

The CEO and his puppet mouthpiece CMO are professional liars who manipulate the employees to think everything is fine. The reality is they're desperately throwing heaps of spaghetti at the wall hoping something sticks long enough to make a couple bucks. They're unethical and dishonest, lying to the the faces of employees daily and talking badly about them behind their backs like rotten children.

The good reviews on here responding to the bad ones are up because employees were asked to write them. The execs laugh off bad reviews and then assign names to them so they can say "so and so is an idiot," and then promptly ask people to write a good review to bury it. They're just trying to mask the reality for sad employees who still have a morsel of faith left in these horrible people.

Advice to Management

Get a conscience.

"Saw the other reviews and felt like I had to write something"

I have been working at Whisper full-time

Pros

Whisper is really an amazing company. A true roller coaster. I've worked here for a while (like many of the people who are here) and I feel really proud of what we've built and all the progress we've made. Yes there has been a large turnover over the last 6 months but the company really feels reborn as of late. Not sure who these people are who are posting reviews saying they're current employees but I highly doubt it. Sure nobody is perfect but I've worked at different companies and I can tell you that I've never worked in a company where the CEO worked as hard as this one does. I've worked in small startups where the company did actually run out of money and I promise you that looks very different. I almost left but decided against it. I can honestly say I made the right choice.

Cons

- Workload can feel like a lot (a lot) sometimes
    - Things break too often
    - Some people dont work as hard as others
    -Meetings get cancelled too often

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Ignore the haters

"No Money, No Vision, No One Left"

I have been working at Whisper full-time

Pros

It started off as an authentic platform for users to build community, but that is a concept or a hobby not a business when you can't find a way to monetize or build revenue

Cons

NO MONEY: Their operating expenses are too high and revenue numbers are down. Finance constantly tells employees to go find a new job because they won't make payroll and services are literally being shut off because bills aren't being paid. The landlord even came into the building shouting at the CEO in front of all the engineers saying "you haven't paid rent in months!"

NO VISION: There is no vision or leadership. Michael Heyward, the CEO has never had a job or went to college. He started this "company" or rather hobby when he was 23 with zero experience. He doesn't know how to set goals, forecast, manage investors or develop a product roadmap. There is no structure. No one knows what they are working on and the plan pivots several times a week merely because he feels like it with no rhyme or reason. The only other member of the "executive team" is Eric Yellin , CMO who comes in at 12p and leaves at 3p every day if he is in the office at all. No one knows quite what he does as he tends to just take walking meetings with people and tell them how incompetent Michael, the CEO is and that the company is going bankrupt but that he can afford to stick around since his wife is independently wealthy. It is an obscure & toxic environment these two have developed with no experience or leadership skills.

NO ONE LEFT: They laid off 25 people in July 2017 but that was just the beginning, everyone has resigned. The COO and 14 others resigned the week after the lay-offs then a few months later the CTO, Director of Product, Director of HR, Director of Sales and Director of Editorial all left as well. There are maybe 18 people left working at this company and they are all spending their days looking for jobs or interviewing, myself included. I'm simply writing this review as a warning because somehow people are still applying to work for this place.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your remaining 18 employees, telling them that revenues are up when the software they are using can't be accessed because you are in collections. Cut your losses and close the company.

"Psst..Stay Far Away"

I worked at Whisper full-time

Pros

In-house chef like every other startup.

Cons

Executive leadership team is beyond dysfunctional without a true vision for the company and no idea how to execute.

"Good Company"

I worked at Whisper full-time

Pros

I have some good memories of great people there. Good experience and has given me a great boost into my career

Cons

A startup is just like a new baby. Sometimes it's pukes and craps on you. In the end everyone and everything is growing trying to figure out it's own way.

Advice to Management

Never stop learning. Listen to people. Be empathetic

""However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.""

Pros

A solid mission. It's anonymous content app is focused on getting people to speak more authentically than on Twitter or Facebook. There aren't other outlets like this in the social media world.

Fascinating content. People are saying some incredible things on the app, and this becomes "gold" when put together as stories. Just check out the website.

Cutting edge technology. I mean, it's the kind of engineering that gets national press.

Tasty snacks, lunch and dinner, on the house. They have had several remarkable chefs with an incredible variety of meals.

Superstar talent. Their recruiting efforts have paid off by bringing in nice, down to earth, skillful, A-players.

Cons

Whisper is in a hurry right now to reach profitability, but the cash clock is ticking and time is running out. It's not impossible to beat the clock, but this executive team will trip over themselves and trip up any remaining employees along the way and ruin their chance for success.

Startups don't have idea problems; they have execution problems.

That's why it's critical to hire the best people, the experts, and then give them freedom and space to quickly roll out solutions. The Whisper execs found great people, but they often got in the way. I've never witnessed such massive micro-managing from the top. As if that alone weren't bad enough, their ideas were frequently wrong. So imagine being the expert, then being micro-managed, with bad ideas, and be forced to execute them, and then be blamed for the inevitably horrible outcome.

Many employees have the passion to bring the vision to reality, but they were sadly thwarted at every turn. This style unfortunately caused many A-players to start leaving voluntarily over the last year. Those who hadn't left on their own accord, were laid off recently, or about 20% of the company. There's now a dearth of talent, the very resource needed to actually pull off the win.

The mismanagement is precisely why it's highly doubtful that Whisper will beat the cash clock and succeed. Even if the sky opened up and millions of dollars came rushing down into their coffers, the executive team would repeat it's mistakes.

Advice to Management

- Don't play favorites.
    - Don't micro-manage.
    - Listen to everyone, including women. Especially women.
    - Go get executive coaching and practice the lessons daily.

"Stay away or get out now"

I worked at Whisper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's Venice beach so even the location is kind of a con.

Cons

The CEO is the worst kind. Isn't smart, but thinks he is. Truly dangerous. He should not be running a company. The fact that he has been given $60mm in funding is amazing to me. I wouldn't give him a cigarette.

A previous review wrongfully suggested that the CMO has "above average intelligence" this is flat out false. He possesses no intelligence but he is exceptionally cunning in how he positions himself. He will defer to you and your knowledge (which he is skeptical of because he does not understand fundamental elements of your job) and then throw you under the bus if you fail or claim the credit for your success.

They recently laid off 15 people after having seen 15+ quit the company over the past year. More have quit since. People have quit without having any other job prospects lined up. That's how bad it is. They have lost so much talent and have kept all of the management so it should come as no surprise why they keep failing.

If you want to land at a company whose culture is so toxic, a company that is disdainful of ambition and fearful of your ideas, whose CEO thinks he's smarter than you, who feels like he can do your job better than you, demands you execute his ideas and, when they fail, that you take the blame then Whisper is the perfect place for you.

Advice to Management

Liquidate the company and retire.

"Immature and pathetic. Sad!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA

I worked at Whisper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool office location (not the office itself). Free food. A lot of very cool people working there.

Cons

The company has been lying to its employees, investors and press about its overall well-being. I was lied to at my interview and was given false numbers about how good the app is doing. There's no future, no money and no career perspectives whatsoever. Backstabbing, gossip, sexism — all here. Rotten, ugly company with probably the most toxic environment and complete lunatic CEO. The CEO is like a teenager, has never worked under any management ever in his life, terrified of making any decisions, yet he won't listen to any of the people he has hired. Stubborn, opinionated, dishonest and delusional. The company is about to shut down and if you are considering getting a job here — stay away (unless your fetish is watching people suffer and startups dissolve).

Advice to Management

To CEO — get a job somewhere. Even for a month. Learn what it is like to work with people. Learn that not all problems can be solved with offering more money (or blatantly lying about company's future). Learn what "good leader" means.

To all other management — turn in your 2-week notice and abandon this sinking ship.