Whitbread Duty Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Alison Brittain

"Soul destroying"

Former Employee - Duty Manager in Scarborough, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Honestly can’t think of any. I’d saying getting paid after working yourself into the ground but when you see the actual amount you tend to cry a lot!

Cons

Low pay, ridiculous long hours due to short staff, higher management blood suckers, lack of support for struggling site. Spent a few years in a really struggling ‘burn out’ site. Destroyed myself and watched others in the site gradually sink into a life of ‘work every hour you are breathing’ for no thanks, get criticised on a daily basis, no thanks from area manager just terrible treatment and almost everyone in the... lower management side ended up on anti depressants. Totally ruined everyone’s lives. Would in all honesty never work for any part of the Whitbread group again. They are an awful company who brain wash you into believing that hard work and dedication gets you higher on the ladder... it doesn’t..it gets you higher on the platform with an ever tightening rope around your neck ready for the long drop. My husband worked for them for many years also and ended up having a breakdown after they made him a scapegoat for everything that went wrong in the site even in the years he didn’t work there. He took on a losing site hoping to help. He did but not enough as the damage had been done before he got there, he was then blamed for not turning it into Disneyland... terrible awful people.

Advice to Management

Use some of your profit to help recruit!!!! You expect management to get good staff from an ever decreasing pool, then hold them responsible when no one wants the vacant jobs due to reading bad reviews, seeing how poorly paid they will be and realising how high the workload is. Area managers go around with their heads up their watnots and live in cloud cuckoo land.. they don’t care how hard the job is as long as the... wincard is all green!!

Whitbread2018-03-17

June 19, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write your review, sorry to hear that your experience with us wasn't positive. We’re sorry that you feel that way toward us. We accept that more can always be done on an ongoing basis to communicate with and act upon feedback from guests and teams alike – your comments have been noted and will form part of our own internal review process. With regards to your other comments we have robust processes and policies in place to ensure that employees are able to get support and guidance when required. We have an employee relations help desk, who deal with escalations, we also partner with Hospitality Action who are an independent, and totally confidential service available to all our employee's 24 hours per day, 365 days a year. They can be contacted on 0808 802 2111 Good luck with your future career.

2. "Great staff. average pay"

Current Employee - Duty Manager in Swansea, Wales

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Support from team. Fast progression. Friendly customers.

Cons

Low pay with high responsibility.

Whitbread2018-01-11
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Terrible place"

Former Employee - Duty Manager in Eastleigh, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the people you work with are amazing. You get to keep all the tips you make. Food discounts aren't too bad (although should be free if you're working!)

Cons

1) Pay - Everyone was on different pay, some waitresses earning more than the Duty Managers per hour 2) Hours - Could be working from 6am until midnight with no break. 3) Lack of breaks - Not allowed to sit down when eating or to leave the restaurant floor, despite some shifts being over 12 hours long 4) Lack of training - I was expected to run a restaurant with very little training and was then ridiculed... by Upper Management when I ran into problems 5) Food management - Kitchen staff would scrape mold off food so they didn't have to throw it away 6) Management - Never around when you needed them (usually sitting in the office playing on their phones) 7) No punishments - I was threatened and sworn at by a chef but he received no punishment and I received no apology (this was, consequently, my reason for leaving)

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. If they're all worn out, hire more. Instigate breaks and your staff will be happier and healthier (we had people START smoking so they could actually have a break) Make sure the pay brackets are the same and understood by all staff - nobody should be able to demand more pay without a promotion Teach your kitchen staff basic hygiene!!

Whitbread2018-01-16
  5. "Progression if you sacrifice"

Former Employee - Duty Manager in Norwich, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay scheme is above NMW compared to most employers, discount across brands and good holiday allowances

Cons

You must sacrifice your social life to stand a chance at earning money. Progression only comes to those who are willing to tail the managers like puppies instead of the learning the business and leadership. There's never a garuntee you'll be promoted even if your verbally told. There's always a glass roof below you if you fail as management are looking after their bonus and not the staff that earn it for them

Advice to Management

Be prepared to work unsociable hours for a glimpse of a pay rise. Be prepared to sacrifice your humility and compassion to those who serve you

Whitbread2017-06-13

November 13, 2017Company Representative

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, it's great to hear that you enjoyed the benefits of working for Whitbread. The hospitality industry is very demanding and we are constantly assessing how we stay competitive whilst rewarding those that work for us. This means that the hours can sometimes be tough and irregular, but we hope that the engagement with our fantastic guests make up for it a little bit. We wish you the best of luck in your future career!

"Students only"

Former Employee - Duty Manager in York, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Career opportunities (technically), social job, always overtime when you need it

Cons

It's who you know, not what you do! You could be the best at your job, if you're not a relative of a manager, partner or any personal connection, you're not worth anything to them, you are an extra name on the rota only.

Advice to Management

If you can't keep business and personal separate, you're in the wrong position!

Whitbread2017-07-01

November 10, 2017Company Representative

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, sorry to hear that you didn't have a positive experience working for Whitbread. We have an extensive system in place to ensure everyone who works at Whitbread has the opportunity to grow and develop their career if they so wish; from providing learning and development opportunities through our Academy Online to apprenticeship programmes or internal role changes. We're sorry to read you were apparently unaware of all the possibilities out there and wish you the best of luck in your future career.

"Best boss, bad company"

Duty Manager in Bedford, England

I worked at Whitbread

Pros

The General manager was amazing. Whitbread discounts ranging from cinema, clothes, health care, technology, beds, holidays, airlines ect. 25% friends and family for Costa, premier Inn or any of whitbread brands

Cons

Over worked, long hours, lack of social life - head office is shambles, no clear communication, no real direction, lack of investment in people and business, like to cut budgets and hours. Being left behind in terms of technology and new initiatives, like to be a jack of all trades but master of none. Head office are insulting and expect better treatment than actual guests without often paying or leaving a tip.... Head office parties are amazing whilst sites get £10 a head. There is a disproportionate amount of favouritism between sites and head office and a considerable lack of appreciation from the company.

Advice to Management

Head office need to either decide between being service focused or sales focused. Can't have both as it doesn't work. You cannot expect standards of service to be 5* when you offer mainly overpriced food which is from frozen and not fresh and paper thin staff with no real incentives for them to work and being treated badly or lesser by head office members.

Whitbread2017-04-05

November 8, 2017Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and we're really sorry to hear that you don't recommend working at Beefeater. We understand that the hospitality industry can be incredibly demanding and a tough industry to work within, both in terms of targets and work life balance. With this in mind we work very hard to take care of our team members, constantly improving the way we do things and ensuring we create a great working environment whilst offering excellent incentives, company benefits and career progression opportunities. Across the business between operations and support centre we have a level of service in place to offer full support and engagement across the two areas. We wish you all the best in your future career.

"Zero Progression"

Duty Manager in Crewe, England

I worked at Whitbread

Pros

Minimal skillset required Good for students who need part time work

Cons

No progression opportunities in three years Lack of desire to invest in workforce resulting in management having to fill the gaps instead of managing. Lack of support from ROMs, rarely congratulated for positive work, always visited if there was a problem

Advice to Management

Perhaps invest in the teams and they may enjoy their work and, in return, increase your profits by actually doing the job as best they can

Whitbread2015-07-19