Whitbread Operations Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 9 reviews

2.5
Whitbread CEO Alison Brittain
Alison Brittain

"Not for a people person"

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Bonus, trainings, company perks, good mobility within company

Cons

No life-work balance, low pay, employees are disposable assets

Advice to Management

Treat your team members as human beings, and try to remember, it's your team that keeps the company moving ahead.

Whitbread2018-09-16

Whitbread Response

September 20, 2018Digital Content Manager

Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave this review. We’re really sorry to hear that your experience with Premier Inn hasn't been a good one. We try to ensure that all our staff have an enjoyable time at work and feel rewarded at the end of their working day. It’s a shame that we weren’t able to deal with these issues when you were working for the business but we wish you the best of luck in your future career.

"Hmmm"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in London, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary, bonus for salaried managers, good opportunities for new challenges.

Cons

Cost cutting programs, labour reductions every year, more reduncies to come and too many restructuring programs in every part of the company!

Advice to Management

Great benefits if you deliver good results, step out of line make a slip there is a consequence for little thing ! CEO Has big ambitions for herself which is common knowlege at head office this is done through saving millions in every way she can at the sacrifice of great people who used to love this people focused company that it used to be sadly the last few years this has changed significantly, get back there... and if you have happy great people ten dales will grow. Your in for a tough time if you keep going down the route you are.

Whitbread2018-07-13

Whitbread Response

August 29, 2018Digital Content Manager

Hi, thank you for your review, and your time with us. We offer many learning and development courses to assist in career progression and really believe in nurturing our people in their career development, so pleasing to hear you took the opportunities. All businesses have to cut their cloth accordingly when market pressures dictate, and we're not excluded from tough economic conditions. However, it is essential that we build the capability to support our long-term growth and being as efficient as possible while developing our people and technology is part of that. We work in a very challenging industry but our teams are the life blood of all Whitbread brands. We constantly strive to try and ensure our teams feel engaged whilst working towards our stretching targets that keep us at the forefront of our sector.

"Graduate Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Graduate Operations Manager in London, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than a year

Pros

Initially seems like a good graduate salary until you take in the amount of hours required with no additional pay. Gives you responsibility from day one

Cons

Graduates are used as spare labour when there are shortages in staff. No real structure or training to enable you to improve management skills. A lot of managers are not accepting of the graduates, and do not go out of there way to help you improve. No sense of a team between management, found that as there were always redundancies and consultations for redundancies senior management prioritise keeping their jobs... over working closely with the graduates. No real structure to the scheme. Very much luck of the drawer, could be used as a chef for 10 months or could be given Assistant Manager role within 6 months. Fully based on their staffing. No assistance with work life balance. No assistance with training. No development days. Isolated graduates. Culture of 'disciplinaries'. Was often asked to put staff through stressful 'disciplinary' action for very minor things. This is such a stressful experience for staff, need to have an informal process. There are so many fabulous Graduate Management Schemes out there that will train and develop you for the future, this is not one of those schemes; their drop out rate is at least 75% per year for a reason.

Advice to Management

Have a better planning structure, and focus on changing the mindset of current managers around the roles graduates can have. They have not studied for a management role to be used as spare labour where there are severe staff shortages.

Whitbread2018-07-26
  4. "Work you to the bone with no consideration"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Lowestoft, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I don’t think there was any pros. You got discount card for restaurants and costa if it wasn’t a franchise store.

Cons

Lack of support. Constantly changing the goal posts to get a bonus Working 24/7 Would manage you if you didn’t get the score required on an audit. Targets unachievable No work life balance

Advice to Management

Think about how you treat your team. They are people after all and have feelings and families.

Whitbread2017-12-20

"If your face doesn't fit..."

Former Employee - Operations Manager in London, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friends for life... That's literally it. Large soulless company? Don't bother trying to work for this company! Seriously don't! So glad I'm out.

Cons

Crippling labour models No chance for development Blocked on 3 occasions for applying for HO roles despite being encouraged to apply by the manager advertising, and when asking Higher manager to support application they didn't care and told me to stop dreaming. Was forced to step down in a role over a situation completely out of my control even though I had spoken out. Only way to get ahead is to be mates and... be part of the gang even with 8 years experience and and a degree. Zero work life balance. Constant phone calls even when on holiday and out of the country. 10 year service 'recognition' was 4 months late. Presented a cheap pin and £30 on a reward card. Both went in the bin. Loyalty not rewarded

Advice to Management

The Whitbread I knew and loved is gone. This is now a hollow, profit driven to the extent that team are worked to breaking point. Purpose and promise have gone out the window for profit and fear of persecution if someone Dares to speak out. Shame on you.

Whitbread2016-04-28

"Think twice before you apply"

Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Whitbread full-time

Pros

All this company wants cheap labour and a lot of profit

Cons

Expectation of you is very different to what it's in your contract

Advice to Management

Please start taking care of your employees

Whitbread2016-03-07
  7. "Hit and Miss, great with the right support"

Operations Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

Lots of courses and self-development, real scope to progress

Cons

long hours, irregular shift patterns, pay not that great when you consider how many hours you do

Advice to Management

look after new starters!

Whitbread2015-06-08
  8. "Best ever"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Secure, happy and friendly working environment

Cons

Nothing negative to report for now

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Whitbread2014-10-18
  9. "Great company with great people"

Former Employee - Regional Operations Manager in Dunstable, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Upper quartile pay scales with very good overall packages. Rapid progression opportunities available as well as opportunities to gain experience in more than core role.

Cons

Very high pressure to deliver unrealistic targets at times and some very dubious promotion decisions made on occasion. Progression not always based on merit but overall, nothing more than you would find in any other large organisation

Whitbread2013-12-10