Whitbread Receptionist Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 14, 2019

2.5
Whitbread CEO Alison Brittain
Alison Brittain
  1. "Good work environment but hard hours."

Current Employee - Receptionist in London, England

I have been working at Whitbread part-time for more than a year

Pros

good working environment Management are normally supportive

Cons

Long hours- often 8 hour shifts on your feet.

Whitbread2019-10-14
  2. "Whitbread"

I have been working at Whitbread part-time for more than a year

Pros

-flexibility -good staff and customers

Cons

-wage -managers -lots of disciplinary action for mistakes -more responsibility than just reception

Whitbread2019-09-27
  3. "Boring"

Current Employee - Night Receptionist in Cwmbran, Wales

I have been working at Whitbread part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work on your own very little job satisfaction

Cons

When you do a good job never a thank you or well done

Whitbread2019-08-28
  4. "Receptionist premier inn"

Former Contractor - Front Desk Receptionist in London, England

I worked at Whitbread for more than a year

Pros

Met some nice people, gained insight into hospitality

Cons

Poor pay , salary not reflecting responsibilities. Unsociable shifts, poor work /home balance. As a receptionist earned the same as a housekeeper, although had far more responsibilities, and having to work long unsociable hours.

Advice to Management

Review pay structure, salaries do not reflect cost of living in southeast

Whitbread2019-05-22

"Reception"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Manchester, England

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Have a Job nothing else,

Cons

Senior Management - Head Office Hard working people, the are just numbers and nothing . No budget for nothing no breaks, only virtual breaks because head office doing give any extra budged for it. Now dual site management. Profit front of everything else

Advice to Management

Just think how you will feel down there on paces what you try to cut. think there its your son or daughter working in that toxic environment what you try to develop.

Whitbread2018-10-01
  6. "Work for as a last resort!"

Former Employee - Receptionist

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A few brilliant people to work with at site

Cons

Manager VERY unprofessional, you can do extra then what is ask of you in Your job role but you are still not recognised for it.

Advice to Management

Spend the money where is needed! (Like with staff and updating accommodation NOT on OM bonuses!

Whitbread2018-04-11

Whitbread Response

June 19, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We really value our teams’ feedback and it’s important to us that our people feel supported by their line manager and there are procedures in place to ensure this.

"Team members forgotten about"

Current Employee - Hotel Receptionist in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Whitbread full-time

Pros

The actual team I work with will be friends for life, a fun working atmosphere is created at my site and if it was not for them I would be long gone.

Cons

Wage V hours .... It's a little over minimum wage, and the hours are long and very unsciciable. The two put together can count for very frustrated team not willing to do much more than they have too. When I first started I absolutely loved it. Working in customer service is draining as you get talked down to daily by guests and if management doesn't boost you up, well it makes for a miserable career. I don't feel... appreciated, I feel team members are just a number and they think of us as replaceable. If you are a graduate with zero work experience all of a sudden you can be a manager, I personally strongly disagree with this.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on your team members as honestly we feel very unimportant compared to the graduates and managers etc , just another poorly paid over worked under appreciated number.

Whitbread2015-10-23

"Hotel Receptionist"

Current Employee - Hotel Receptionist in Uttoxeter, England

I have been working at Whitbread part-time for more than a year

Pros

Get a discount card for all Whitbread companies, that's Costa Coffee, Premier Inn, Table Table, Brewers Fayre, Beefeater, and Taybarns. Also, get a rewards card where you can have cash rewards when you do an excellent job or use for discounts when you put on your own money at various stores.

Cons

Working weekends, Christmas, New Year , and till 11pm in the evenings. Can be working alone

Advice to Management

Give more support to staff when customers are rude to us

Whitbread2015-05-13

"The most corrupt company that will be getting exposed"

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy rotas to change but thats mainly due to management not being in charge of them and our team doing our own rotas...otherwise i hear its nearly impossible tk get time off

Cons

A true corrupt company. Discrimjnates its staff based on rank...i have caught cluster managers and regional operation managers getting drunk and tried stealing from behind our bar. When i confronted them the cgm sqaured off to me and j had to physicaly push him back due to his escalating aggression. He was also threatening me saying i wuld get sacked. I filed grievance to HR ...theyre exact words.."we are not taking... this as a grievance but as a query" nothing was dne about this and they protected the two managers by refusing to accept my complaint. I was bullyed also by a team leader and when i filed a grievance they refused to accept it as a grievance and nothing was done....i saw a f+b manager bullying members of staff (one instance there was a staff member sitting on thr ground behind the desk crying her eyes out) i filed grievance and the ops manager threw it in the bin. I filed another grievance to the manager above her that nothing was done and that she threw it away. The company refused to investigate and nothing was done. I was physicaly threatend by a team leader (very clear cctv of him raising a fist at me) i report this and next thing i no im being invited into a disciplinary for trying to attack him despite the clear cctv of me being calm.and him raising a fist....the company "investigated" and came back saying i was the criminal. Luckily due to them being idiots they left the disciplinary file open...it was dated...the date stated that they had already decided i wiuld be disciplined before they even started an investigation...i took photos of this clear evidence of this companys corruption....i won the appeal after being threatend with further disciplknary actionn for taking pictures of the screen. So i explained that the matter would get taken to tribunal...where funnily enough all disciplinarys were dropped. The managers denied pre determining my disciplinary before investigation and so i showed the pics. I filed yet another grievance about the above offense....and absoultly nothing was done...no investigation....no reprimanding....the reason? The EXACT!!!! words...."it would be to dificult to investigate this because they will deny it". When i was serving some cgms in a bar they started making racist jokes about the muslim community and 9/11. Again nothing was done. I found a ROM unconcious against a fire door in a dru ken slumber...apon waking him telling him he couldnt lie there as it is risking the lives of the guests he sqaured off to me shouting...again reported to the top brass and nothing done...nebeee evene recieved a reply. This company throws disciplinarys left right and centre to the low ranks..but team lesder and above are completely safe. I have kept all writen records of this corrupt company, emails, even recorded phone convos with them, discreetly taken videos. Pics. And audio recordings of there discrimination and lack of action...and when i leave this company im going to take the greateat pleasure exposing it for what it is. I do have the physical evidence of what has transpired here and i will make sure it is given to the right people

Advice to Management

End your corruption...as i say above this isnt something i have made in my head (which is how you will try to make it) i have 11+ gb of footage of this companys corruption and about 10inches thick of paper work of managers and head office signed paperwork confirming the above. Get it sorted

Whitbread2015-02-15

"Restaurant and Hotel side very poor to work for - Low pay, over worked, treated badly"

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very little; 25% discount in Whitbreads brands- Costa, Beefeater, Table Table, Premier Inn, Brewers Fayre, Taybarns Can fit around college/uni so you can work nights or weekends or during the holidays

Cons

Having worked in Brewers Fayre and Premier Inn, you are very overworked, especially in the restaurant. I'd often put in absolute hectic flat out shifts of 12+ hours and all you get is a measly 30 min break (which is docked from you wages, no free food either- 50% off). If it was that busy, you would often go without a break. Very hard work and tiring when you are running around like a headless chicken all day as the... site is so busy and there was NEVER enough staff on. They cut hours left right and centre- your contracted hours don't mean a thing to anyone- so you may think you're going into the job with X hours but don't be surprised if they're cut by half or more. No breaks at all if you work on reception in the hotel. Doing 3-11pm and then back in at 7am are common to do several times a week. By the time you've handed over to the next receptionist, got home, actually fallen asleep, you're back in work a few hours later. Common across all hotel sites even though it's breaking the law. The pay is TERRIBLE!! A few pence above minimum wage. You have the whole responsibility of a hotel and you're the only employee in the building and you have to run it and you get paid 5p more than minimum wage. The housekeepers are now on more than receptionists. Absolutely bonkers. The housekeepers job is very physical as they have to clean rooms in a very short amount of time which is exhausting to them. No extra pay on bank holidays etc apart from Christmas Day and New Years Eve night. Crazy. No appreciation, no opportunity to further your career or knowledge unless you are pally with the managers and area managers, go out with them outside of work and really suck up to them big time. You can be the best and hardest employee in the world and could achieve so much, but unless you suck up to them- no chance of progressing. Such a terrible company who act like they care about their employees- biggest pile of rubbish ever! Often working 14 days straight with lots of double backs in there and then you'll get one or 2 days off and then you're on another stretch again. Sick pay is also national minimum of approx £86 a week. The company and management teams really DO NOT CARE about you or your wellbeing.

Advice to Management

Area managers need to be less involved and friendly with the managers within their area so there are no conflicts of interest and so they don't continually overlook the problems at each site and so that their judgement is not affected by best buddies with the other managers. Every workforce would be a little happier if they were looked after.

Whitbread2015-01-09