Whitbread Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Whitbread Chief Executive Officer Alison Brittain
Alison Brittain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The small team within which I worked was close-knit, supportive and hard-working - many of whom have become friends for life (in 5 reviews)

• Overall a great company to work for (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No consideration for work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• You're a number no matter how many times they say "we care about our people" Lack of communication from head office (in 10 reviews)

1. "Forgotten about"

Former Employee - Head Office
    Former Employee - Head Office

I worked at Whitbread full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were some nice people working there.
    Observing silent reactions when I handed in my notice (written as I'm struggling for 20 words of Pro's)
    Other than that my experience was pretty underwhelming.

Cons

Non-existent induction, forgot to pay me, had to use my own laptop and phone, had to chase up my car, lots of people telling me they'd been there for donkeys years - just generally made to feel unwelcome.
    Really disappointed as I had heard a lot of good things about this company but once I started I found it rather institutionalised in behaviour and respect was seemingly based on length of service rather than ability.

Advice to Management

Make "outsiders" welcome.

"Students only"

Former Employee - Duty Manager in York, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Duty Manager in York, England (UK)

I worked at Whitbread full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career opportunities (technically), social job, always overtime when you need it

Cons

It's who you know, not what you do! You could be the best at your job, if you're not a relative of a manager, partner or any personal connection, you're not worth anything to them, you are an extra name on the rota only.

Advice to Management

If you can't keep business and personal separate, you're in the wrong position!

"Duty manager"

Former Employee - Duty Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Duty Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Whitbread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Team, staff discount, good online training system. Can't really think of anything else to be honest and need to write 20 words.

Cons

Higher management, lies about progression, micro managed at every opportunity! Wages are terrible, illegal late/early shifts every week, finish at half 12 start at half 5! One to one reviews that never happen. Higher management on a power trip, key tasks taken from you because Higher management on a power trip (shame they couldn't do them better) don't work here unless you want your soul drained!

Advice to Management

Get managers that know what their doing & help progress you rather than pushing good managers out the door for their friends/family!

4. "Maintenance"

Current Employee - Maintenance "TEAM" Member
    Current Employee - Maintenance "TEAM" Member

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to this company whatsoever, if you are going for a job, run a mile!!

Cons

Everything! Corrupt management, power hungry bully's, pay you pennies but make you do their job aswell but it's okay because it's "for your development" so you wound be paid "for your development"!

Advice to Management

Treat people like human beings rather than your pets. Do your jobs! Corrupt company! Full of power hungry bullies

"Avoid at all cost"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

I worked at Whitbread full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team I had was amazing

Cons

You're a number no matter how many times they say "we care about our people" Lack of communication from head office. Senior management changes all the time, they're absolutely useless and one of them was a bully! But they'll allow anything as long as you make money. Please avoid!

Advice to Management

I'd fire everyone in head office and start building a proper team with brains and common sense. Easy really.

"J"

Pros

Hardly any at all nothing

Cons

Everything about it to much expected of you they think you can do the work of 3 people by yourself

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage

7. "On line training"

I have been working at Whitbread part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people i work with and our in house management team are great.

Cons

Head Office don't seem to know how to do things. The more we do the more they want. You just can't please them. Every time we beat their targets they want more. What do we get in return - not a lot. More targets, cut hours, serve more people, make even more profits to pay their increasing salaries. I think all senior managers should come and work on the floor for a week and see how much they can do! I think they have forgotten what its like in the real world! How can we keep hitting targets when you keep giving food away with an endless supply of money off vouchers etc etc. Most of the people who come in with vouchers are only there because of a cheap meal. Voucher should be used sparingly not all year round.

Advice to Management

As for on line training - if the on line system worked better I probably wouldn't be having this rant!! But am sitting at my home computer, wasting my time and paying for internet use for you and I can even get the training videos that I need to watch to load. Something not right somewhere. This is not the first time the system hasn't worked. So Houses get penalised because we don't get the training done "like yesterday" for two reasons. The system doesn't work and you leave it till the last minuted to inform us that new menu training needs to be done like yesterday. Obviously a new menu must come as a surprise to whoever is in charge because its not like we have new menus every March and September is it???!!!!!

8. "Micro-Management"

Former Employee - General Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Whitbread full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good discounts for employees, great salary as a GM. Good career progression if your face fits and have the time to jump through numerous and ever changing hoops.

Cons

Everything is micro-managed on every level. No decisions are yours to make as they are made for you. A bit old / stale feeling working there. You can have nice signage but that doesn't help when the place is falling to bits. Zero work/life balance, everyone is expected to be on call 24/7.

Advice to Management

Sort your pubs out to make them somewhere people are proud to work. Actually belive and deliver in the principles you set out. Let your managers actually do their job without all the non essentials in the middle.

9. "General manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very few pros. The saving share scheme is good and staff discount on all whitbread brands i.e. Costa premier inn and restaurants.

Cons

Work life balance is none existent. You are expected to drop everything for last minute conference calls and meetings. The training is extremely poor in restaurants. I would say almost none existent

Advice to Management

There's no advise that current managers would accept. The majority have only ever worked for whitbread so are totally stuck in bad practices that other brands are much better at

"MAINTENANCE "TEAM" MEMBER"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Ashington, North East England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Ashington, North East England, England (UK)

Pros

respecting the people that deserve respecting

Cons

apart of your premier inn hotel "team" that never gets mentioned in leaflets, web sites etc , is maintenance people all around your hotel will save you billions of pounds but we are the forgotten work force in your company ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,remember us for once

Advice to Management

stop expecting a 5 star hotel on very little hours to maintain a hotel ...... 12 hours to look after a 62 bedroom hotel hahahahaha, i started on 12 hours maintenance when the site was 40 rooms and i didnt have to fix things in the restaurant attached now my site is 62 rooms and i have to fix things in restaurant to also extra pmvs but site is still only 12 hours ,,,,,,,,,,,,, your a joke of a company if you think thats acceptable