White Lodging Reviews | Glassdoor

White Lodging President and CEO Ken Barrett
Ken Barrett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not an ideal work life balance, but a lot of my friend are from work so our weird schedules can mesh well together (in 48 reviews)

• No work life balance NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY (in 13 reviews)

1. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Brandon, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Brandon, FL

I have been working at White Lodging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

White Lodging's interviewing process for their leaders is like no other hospitality company out there. Leaders in this company are chosen very carefully to ensure the best of the best are selected. White Lodging is a highly desired management company and proves its value based on the amazing results of their hotel portfolio. The continuous growth of the company allows you to advance within and achieve whatever goals you may have for your career. White Lodging is extremely structured and thorough regarding all aspects. The entire Executive team at corporate office genuinely cares at everyone at the property level and will do anything in their power to help you personally and professionally. I highly encourage anyone looking to pursue a career in hospitality to seek out opportunities within White Lodging. You will not be disappointed.

Cons

The expectations for leaders in this company are very high and can, at times, be overwhelming. Holding yourself accountable and being disciplined will make your job easier.

2. "Executive Chef"

I have been working at White Lodging full-time

Pros

Best learning experience for beginners

Cons

i fill that is not cons is alot of

3. "White Lodging= passion killer"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at White Lodging full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GM conferences are great parties. And if you're lucky enough to either be banging an RVP or in the boys club, they have a ranch you can get invited to that's an awesome trip. Those are the biggest pros as the company sucks any personal time out of you, so all you have to look forward to are work functions.

Cons

As I said in the title, White Lodging is a passion killer. Prior to working for White Lodging I had a passion for hospitality, however, the 80-90 hour weeks that are required because of the new CEOs financial outlook and labor focus, really drained that. You're required to run super thin on staff so you can flow and get a bonus. 90% of the GMs in the company didn't bonus last year due to unrealistic budget targets set by ownership and WLS. Those targets are set by the "higher ups" because you as a GM have no say in them. But those targets affect your bonus, and your just a peon GM who is just there to clean rooms and work desk shifts so Ken the CEO can sit in his office and create bitmojis, because that's going to connect with the millennial's Ken. Don't worry about your older generations that have literally given their lives in some cases for this company.

Oh and don't forget that if a NEW owner just decides they don't like you out of thin air, WLS shifts you out of your hotel and puts you in a traveling role or another hotel and doesn't have your back even when you have given them YEARS of great results with other owners.

Advice to Management

Stay away GM's. This company has been on a steady decline for the last couple of years and with Ken at the helm it's on a fast track crash course. The worst company I have ever worked for in hospitality by far. They don't care about their upper management at all. They talk about genuine care and shift back to you're just a number within months of their big song and dance at conferences. Really just sad.

4. "Still learning"

I have been working at White Lodging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health and dental benefits

Cons

Hard time keeping up with the growth

5. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Front Desk Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Front Desk Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at White Lodging full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can grow quickly with the company if you are competent.

Cons

Where do I begin. You get 0 vacation your first year with the company. Thought it was illegal but White Lodging manages to get away with it. They work you to the bone for very little compensation. Yes you can move up quickly but you will not get a big increase when you are promoted. They should have better practices in place to created a better work culture/environment for their employees. And better benefits as well.

Advice to Management

Give your employees more vacation time. They work hard and deserve it.

6. "Room for Growth"

I have been working at White Lodging full-time

Pros

Tons of room for advancement, great resources, relocation possibilities are endless, and wonderful networking opportunities.

Cons

Each property is different, but upper management doesn't tend to stay in one place for much longer than 18 months. Once a turbulent property stabilizes, there is a good change that stability will be derailed when the new management team comes in.

7. "Fantastic"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at White Lodging full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

White Lodging has an extensive interview process, but completely worth it. They truly only hire talented individuals. It improves the working environment and end results for the property

Cons

I worked in Austin, TX and I did struggle with a work/life balance because the property was so busy. I was needed for long hours.

"Love the family, burn the company"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Officer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Officer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at White Lodging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close coworkers made it feel like you were working with family and you would love to hang out.

Cons

You can't hang out with anyone because your schedule is random, decided days in advance of being posted and always a surprise.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they'll take care of the customers. The key is caring about your employees which isn't evident now.

9. "AP Administrator"

Current Employee - AP Administrator in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - AP Administrator in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at White Lodging full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Business owner. Company always growing.

Cons

Company focus is on degreed individuals. Little to no opportunity for those that are not.

Advice to Management

Not a possibility for many.

10. "Wish I Never Left"

Former Employee - Banquet Server in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Banquet Server in Austin, TX

I worked at White Lodging full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and growth opportunities from within and one of the best teams I have ever worked with. Cross-training, management training, good reviews process with raises and overtime for those who want it. The company is vibrant and growing and there are lots of opportunities to be on task forces to open new hotels. The guests were happy and they took good care of their employees, with enjoyable onboarding and even an annual banquet put on for employees and their families to enjoy.

Cons

There are no cons for people who want to work hard.