Whitepages Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Whitepages CEO Rob Eleveld
Rob Eleveld

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Whitepages also recognizes that a work/life balance is important" (in 19 reviews)

• "Tech perks: snacks, booze, happy hours, catered lunches" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "expects long hours, not remote-friendly, and not truly unlimited vacation time" (in 6 reviews)

• "Competing business units make it hard to get resources in the right place" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Whitepages Cares for their Employees"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Whitepages for almost two years now, working as a manager across multiple teams. I've been incredibly impressed with the senior leadership and HR team, especially how they help employees to succeed.

All managers here are empowered by senior leadership to find growth opportunities for their employees, ensuring that they have steady development. Whitepages recognizes hard work, and will be supportive towards helping employees reach their career goals. Stagnation is never a concern when working here.

Whitepages also recognizes that a work/life balance is important. In addition to great vacation and health care benefits, HR ensures that employees are aware of other assistance programs. It feels wonderful when a company appreciates you as a person; I know that Whitepages had my back, and that they are mindful of my quality of life.

Lastly, I appreciate that senior leadership provides a lot of visibility into business health. When a group has more knowledge, they'll be better equipped to make the right decisions. Thanks to this transparency, teams are able to operate efficiently, and everyone knows the importance of their contributions.

Cons

As with any organization with multiple business units, information can become silo'd. Whitepages actually does a great job of handling this: we have at least two all-hands meetings each month where we get insight into recent initiatives. The CEO keeps everyone current with a weekly summary for each unit. In-house and off-site events merge teams together for brainstorming and fun.

Whitepages does very well with cross pollination, and it should be a continued area of focus. There are a lot of very intelligent people at Whitepages, and the more that we distribute that knowledge, the better off everyone will be.

2. "Great experience with Whitepages"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Strong culture fit for me
    -Hardworking people throughout the entire company
    -Passion, care, and interest in the work
    -Growth, the company is growing internationally
    -Lots of morale events, e.g. lunches, company trip, holiday gift, etc.
    -The Pro product proactively prevents fraudulent transactions at the enterprise level, it really does use "data for good" (one of the company's mottos)

Cons

-The consumer product is useful and a long-standing money maker, but it makes information about people that they assume to be private, public. More documentation and advertisement should be made available to consumers regarding how their information is made available - that this is public information from multiple public databases and we've gathered it in to one place - that we don't have the power to delete it.

3. "20 year old "startup""

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- There are some smart passionate people who are very dedicated
    - Ability to make an impact a team or project
    - People are friendly and there are fun perks such as snacks, onsite massages, and annual company trip

Cons

- Competing business units make it hard to get resources in the right place
    - Some favoritism in promotions and high achievers
    - Tries to act like a small startup in ways that hurts employees i.e. expects long hours, not remote-friendly, and not truly unlimited vacation time

Advice to Management

Come up with an actual feedback/review process that maps to career paths so that good employees don't leave. Communicate company plans or intentions in terms of IPO/acquisition so that stock options mean something. Listen to employees: if people keep asking about a 401k matching, use tinypulse to have them vote and see what benefits they'd give up to have 401k matching.

4. "Great benefits!"

I worked at Whitepages full-time

Pros

Free lunches on Fridays, great snacks, smart people.

Cons

With an HQ in Seattle, sometimes it could feels disconnected.

"Company is killing it and it's an awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing and profitable business
    Has really turned a corner on growth strategy in both B2B and B2C
    Transparent communication from the top
    Non-political culture
    Great group of peers
    Great perks

Cons

Struggles to separate itself from its old brand
    Needs to plug some critical hires

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Exciting, collaborative work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart group of people, who are hard working and goal oriented. No politics, and very transparent leadership team. Employees have ability to make an impact at every level in the organization. The company is growing rapidly, which has opened up lots of new opportunities for employees to seize.

Cons

Expectations are high, which can lead to long hours. Decisions get made very quickly, and aren't always communicated effectively to everybody impacted.

Advice to Management

Make sure you stay focused on what has made us successful over the last couple years, don't try to do too much.

"Senior Accountant"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Whitepages hires the best people. Not only from a technical capabilities standpoint but people who are enjoyable to be around. Small teams give give everyone the opportunity to follow through on our corporate values of owning projects and seeing them through. Just a great place to show up to work every day.

Cons

Small focused teams don't always allow for unstructured time and side projects.

"Great Team - Great Product - Great Opportunity - Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

***This review is from the B2B "Pro" side of the company***

- The Product(data): Whitepages Pro offers a unique solution with not a ton of competitors. In the year I have been here, the company has added some very impressive customers.

- The People: Whitepages has built a small group of talented, driven, and friendly people.

-The Culture: Snacks, Booze, Ping Pong Table, Company Retreat, Happy Hours, Open Office, Bean Bags, Casual Atmosphere, Etc.

-The Opportunity: The company is growing and you have a chance to grow with it.

Cons

- No 401K Matching

- It sometimes feels like there is a division between the Consumer team and the B2B team

Advice to Management

- Keep being transparent

- Hold onto the team you have

"Great place to work at!"

Pros

-fast paced company with opportunities
    -great benefits and perks (ER HSA contribution, Friday lunches, snacks, happy hours, onsite massages...)
    -great co-workers who are smart, supportive and fun to be around

Cons

-i've been here a long time and there are constantly changes, but most for the better

"Lots of ownership opportunities in a fast moving and growing company"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You are empowered to pitch and execute on ideas
    -Its fast moving, so you learn prioritization and time management
    -Lots of friendly and experienced people to learn from
    -Emphasis on speed, productivity and accountability may not be for everyone, but to me its exciting and challenging - never a dull moment
    -Tons of transparency around financial results and what different teams are working on
    -Small teams so you can have a big impact and its pretty clear how you are contributing
    -Passionate and accessible CEO
    -Opportunity to work on global projects

Cons

- Performance management is different than other tech companies I've been at - more casual with more of the onus put on the employee than the manager, but I think there are improvements going on here
    - There are two divisions that don't overlap a lot - a B2B side and Consumer side, so it feels a little weird to not know who some of the people are, but there are activities to bring people together like ping pong tourneys and an all-company retreat

Advice to Management

Keep recognizing employee accomplishments - both publicly and in review scenarios and engaging with us on career progression and development