Whitepages Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Whitepages CEO Rob Eleveld
Rob Eleveld

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Whitepages also recognizes that a work/life balance is important" (in 19 reviews)

• "Tech perks: snacks, booze, happy hours, catered lunches" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Constantly growing and exhibiting some growing pains" (in 6 reviews)

• "A lot of us work long hours, but we wouldn't do it if we didn't believe in the mission" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Whitepages Cares for their Employees"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Whitepages for almost two years now, working as a manager across multiple teams. I've been incredibly impressed with the senior leadership and HR team, especially how they help employees to succeed.

All managers here are empowered by senior leadership to find growth opportunities for their employees, ensuring that they have steady development. Whitepages recognizes hard work, and will be supportive towards helping employees reach their career goals. Stagnation is never a concern when working here.

Whitepages also recognizes that a work/life balance is important. In addition to great vacation and health care benefits, HR ensures that employees are aware of other assistance programs. It feels wonderful when a company appreciates you as a person; I know that Whitepages had my back, and that they are mindful of my quality of life.

Lastly, I appreciate that senior leadership provides a lot of visibility into business health. When a group has more knowledge, they'll be better equipped to make the right decisions. Thanks to this transparency, teams are able to operate efficiently, and everyone knows the importance of their contributions.

Cons

As with any organization with multiple business units, information can become silo'd. Whitepages actually does a great job of handling this: we have at least two all-hands meetings each month where we get insight into recent initiatives. The CEO keeps everyone current with a weekly summary for each unit. In-house and off-site events merge teams together for brainstorming and fun.

Whitepages does very well with cross pollination, and it should be a continued area of focus. There are a lot of very intelligent people at Whitepages, and the more that we distribute that knowledge, the better off everyone will be.

2. "Lots of ownership opportunities in a fast moving and growing company"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You are empowered to pitch and execute on ideas
    -Its fast moving, so you learn prioritization and time management
    -Lots of friendly and experienced people to learn from
    -Emphasis on speed, productivity and accountability may not be for everyone, but to me its exciting and challenging - never a dull moment
    -Tons of transparency around financial results and what different teams are working on
    -Small teams so you can have a big impact and its pretty clear how you are contributing
    -Passionate and accessible CEO
    -Opportunity to work on global projects

Cons

- Performance management is different than other tech companies I've been at - more casual with more of the onus put on the employee than the manager, but I think there are improvements going on here
    - There are two divisions that don't overlap a lot - a B2B side and Consumer side, so it feels a little weird to not know who some of the people are, but there are activities to bring people together like ping pong tourneys and an all-company retreat

Advice to Management

Keep recognizing employee accomplishments - both publicly and in review scenarios and engaging with us on career progression and development

3. "Not for everyone, but love it!"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time

Pros

I was poking around on GD and saw some negative reviews here and thought I'd bring my perspective. Being a small company allows for a breadth of exposure/experience that you'll never get at a larger company like Amazon, Microsoft or Google. I've noticed some co-workers struggle with having to work in this type of environment because they aren't used to having such a small team and being so visible regarding results, which seems to have led to dissatisfaction. In my opinion this is probably the number one reason why I stay at Whitepages. My resume is getting more robust with each passing day. We are currently hitting on all cylinders in both our consumer and b2b business and have some great experienced leaders in place pushing us forward. I love being a part of this type of growth and success! I'll admit it hasn't always been easy and not everyone will hack it because you have to be very self-motivated and able to push yourself forward and not wait for everyone else to get you to the next level, but I love it. We have unlimited vacation, though are limited to two weeks at a time because of the impact that it has on team because we're so small (which I think is very understandable, but I guess that could be a con) and we have an amazing office space, great benefits and pay based on everything I've seen in the market. Honestly, if someone isn't happy I struggle to understand why they just don't go somewhere else. Life is too short.

Cons

There have been some debbie downers lately, but I think that's because a small company that operates with a startup mentality just isn't a good fit for everyone. There is also a pretty big division between the consumer and b2b business and I don't think that everyone really knows each other, but our all company trip does help with that and getting to know people.
    There is somewhat of a bro culture in the sales org and if you don't drink beer or like sports you're odd man out.
    Being a small company you have to make your own opportunities because there isn't a lot of room for movement like at Amazon where you can change teams every two years, this can make it more challenging.

Advice to Management

Continue to push and the right people will make great things happen.

"Great fast paced company"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Whitepages is a fast paced company that is great for people wanting good challenges and have an impact. They strive to understand ones needs and really value each person's input.

Cons

Due to the fast pace there is a lot of expectations (which can be good too!)

"Changes Needed"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time

Pros

- Smart, intelligent, and talented people
    - Fully stocked kitchen and alcohol
    - Nice office
    - Good for entry level jobs, bad for experienced professionals

Cons

- Management is failing to recognize changes are needed. The recent featured review on August 21 is a good example. Staged review after a couple 2 star reviews.
    - Benefits not up to par for Seattle tech environment. CEO recently called out entire company for taking PTO ("unlimited" PTO that's tracked) and working from home.
    - Authoritarian management style due to CEO's background
    - Management lacks experience and seems chaotic at times. Promotions based on appearance and not performance.
    - Management praises employees for working late hours and weekends
    - Sudden layoffs and no performance management

Advice to Management

- Start listening. Read the two star reviews. Your employees are speaking up and requesting changes through this platform.
    - Culture needs to be revamped. Respect your employee's personal lives.
    - Enhance benefits. Look at the benefits other start-ups are offering

"Great people, growing business, rewards it's employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Amazing team of people to work with. Intelligent, motivated, encouraging & team players. It is a really energizing group of colleagues

- A great place for self-starters who want to take their professional growth & development into their own hands. Whitepages rewards people who are willing to take on responsibilities and truly own their role and success.

- A lot of hard work has gone into both our B2C and B2B products over the past few years, and the usage rate and revenue growth of both in the past 18 months is extremely encouraging. It feels like both business units are on a very strong trajectory of continued growth going forward

Cons

- Lack of a great long-term vision, or at least a vision that has been communicated. We have great individual product teams that are driving their products forward to continue the growth we have seen over the past couple of years, but there is not a cohesive vision for where we are taking the company. This can make it challenging to clearly understand what we are working towards as a greater goal.

- No 401K matching

Sep 10, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your Glassdoor review. We are happy to hear that you have seen the growth of our products and teams over the past 18 months. We will continue to share the long term goals and vision for... More

"All about appearances"

I worked at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Small and tight knit community
    - Stocked kitchen with snacks and alcohol
    - Employer HSA contributions, don't have to pay health care premiums

Cons

- No 401k matching
    - "Unlimited" PTO is in the company's best interests.
    - Unclear and unsupported career progression. Talking about career ambitions with managers and upper management is awkward, and is perceived as selfish and greedy.
    - Chaotic management. Multiple large-scale reorganizations and hiring new leadership.
    - All hands is all propaganda
    - Multiple random layoffs throughout the year

Advice to Management

- More transparency and communication

Sep 10, 2018 – Recruiter

Thanks for providing a review regarding your experience at Whitepages. As a small company we place a lot of emphasis on employees owning the conversations around their desired career progression... More

"A confused company"

I worked at Whitepages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* The nicest people I've ever worked with. I don't have a single bad thing to say about any of my former coworkers.

* Really interesting people.

* Fantastic work-life balance.

* Unlimited PTO. Salaried employees don't have to worry about if they've been sick enough times.

* Higher salaries than many other companies in the area.

Cons

* Constantly changing direction. There are way too many times where we've committed to a decision, then changed it within a month. It can make it feel like a lot of your work isn't going to last, which can be demotivating.

* Unrealistic expectations, and refusal to hear why expectations are unrealistic

* Nonexistent mentorship and lack of support. I found it very hard to adjust because I felt like I had no one to ask for advice from Day 1.

* High employee turnover. Random layoffs are the norm, regardless of how important you currently are to the organization. In my tenure at Whitepages almost every friend I had there was laid off or quit within a few months.

* Perks have been watered down significantly over time.

* Blame culture. If something goes wrong, it is always the employee's fault. No one will ever look at the underlying process.

Advice to Management

* Spend more time before making large business decisions. Let these decisions work themselves out over a longer period of time before trying something else.

* Listen to your employees. You hire a lot of amazing, smart, and talented people. Let them take more risks and listen to their suggestions. Whitepages could be more of a powerhouse if some of its fantastic employees are given more decision-making power.

Sep 10, 2018 – Recruiter

Thanks for providing your feedback regarding your experience at Whitepages. We recognize that our culture is fast moving and to remain relevant as a leader in the digital identity verification space... More

"This place has changed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Whitepages is a good company with many talented and friendly people.
    I like the downtown location, and there is a lot of free alcohol at work.
    The company is also doing well financially.
    Many of the junior employees and some of the leaders (CFO, VPs and Directors) are amazing.
    The brand has real SEO power, and Whitepages.com is a real powerhouse with 50M MAUs (WOW!).
    Compensation is competitive.
    The company is not shy about investing to grow, and results are visible in revenue numbers.

Cons

Things changed in the 1 1/2 years since the new CEO got promoted. It used to be a fun work environment, and the management would listen to the junior team. The new CEO is a great speaker and appreciates many people in public ... but something is not right ... his appreciation appears made up and unauthentic. He can even pretend to cry in the middle of a speech if he wants to.

The new set of leaders he brought into the team also lack maturity and are slowly surrounding themselves with colleagues from their previous companies. These people are ok, but the quality of the team has diminished in the last two years. Culture has deteriorated.

There is NO PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT, which means that the promotions are random.

Advice to Management

If you want to hear the truth, try talking with the junior team.

Sep 10, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for posting your review on Glassdoor. Change in leadership style can be challenging and the evolution can take time as the company re-aligns and hits full stride. We recognize that we have... More

"Wanted to love it, but couldn't."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Most employees are friendly and easy to talk to
    - There are some really talented people there
    - Well stocked kitchen and free lunches/happy hour every other week
    - Modern and conveniently located office

Cons

Upper management prioritizes appearances over productivity, meaning you need to do things like stay later and have shorter lunch breaks to make it seem like you're working harder. There were many times where the project managers that I worked with had unrealistic expectations of deadlines because they did not fully understand the amount of work required for a task or because they were being pressured from upper management. This meant people rushed to get things done and the resulting outcome usually was broken or lacking.

During my time there, a lot of people were let-go without any warning which was very off-putting. There is no clear path to career advancement which means you have to be the one to initiate talks with your manager who may have very little power to help you out anyways.

I wanted to love Whitepages because I met a lot of talented and friendly individuals while I was there, but in the end, it was an overall negative experience.

Advice to Management

- Stop relying on marketing tricks and strive to build a more useful product

- Productivity should be more important than appearances; keep work-life balance in mind for employees

- Be clear about the expectations you have of someone in a role and give them a chance to improve before simply axeing them

- Continue to strive to give female employees an equal voice in the company

Sep 10, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience at Whitepages. We recognize that with continuous innovation of Whitepages products, there are sprints that can push the boundaries... More