Whitepages Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
Whitepages CEO Rob Eleveld
Rob Eleveld

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Another important "pro" of working here is that I have a great work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Tech perks: snacks, booze, happy hours, catered lunches (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • would be awesome if we had some 401k matching but regardless, I enjoy working here (in 10 reviews)

• Constantly growing and exhibiting some growing pains (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great people, interesting work, and an exciting future"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I'm surrounded by smart and passionate people.
    - The best parts of working for a startup: new/exciting business opportunities, ambitious goals, ability to wear a lot of hats and really make a difference
    - Stability and security of a 20 year old company.
    - WP actually takes their "Data for Good" line seriously, setting a high moral bar in what is often a fairly sketchy industry.
    - Office kegerator + booze shelf, catered lunch or happy hour every Friday.
    - Very transparent with company and departmental finances / goals / changes.
    - I work 40-45 hours per week, pretty much 9-5, although I'm happy to take the occasional 7am call, and of course to travel as needed, etc.

Cons

- WP is the type of company that moves fast in reaction to new market opportunities, and sometimes things don't pan out. Thankfully it's a diverse enough company that people can often move laterally, but there have been a few strong employees who end up with short tenures.
    - Perhaps not the best choice for non-drinkers. It's not that people are being compelled to drink, but there is certainly a lot of temptation all around.

Advice to Management

Frankly, just keep it up. I have a lot of respect for Rob and Jason, and agree with what they're trying to achieve with Whitepages. We've come a very long way, but we have a long way to go!

2. "Really enjoy working here!"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time

Pros

-The people: I really enjoy working with my colleagues here and feel like our values and work ethic are closely aligned with one another. Everyone here has a "can do" attitude and that really adds to our collaborative work culture of getting things done.

Cons

Nothing too big...would be awesome if we had some 401k matching but regardless, I enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Thanks for being so approachable

3. "Excellent! I love this company!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is friendly and helpful. No office politics. The CEO Rob's desk is among other employees'.
    - Good work/life balance
    - Good office management!
    - Team events such as kayaking and room escape.
    - Among five IT company's job offers, I chose Whitepages.
    - With the ORCA card provided by the company, I pay almost zero for the daily commute.
    - Hackathon!!! My manager encouraged me to join the hackathon even when there were a lot of normal work to do. Non-tech people were also encouraged to join.

Cons

- Can't think of any except not matching 401k.

4. "Small team, big opportunities"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time

Pros

There are a lot of fun reasons to work at Whitepages, many of them outlined in previous reviews. Whitepages has a casual, laid back, start up type culture. We have bi-weekly catered lunches followed by an All Hands meeting, free snacks/drinks, a kegerator and bar in office for Happy Hours, onsite massages, and a fantastic open office space.

What truly sets Whitepages apart, for me, is the opportunity to learn and grow professionally that is offered here. We are a small team, and therefore you need to roll up your sleeves, wear a lot of hats, and take ownership to get things done. In less than a year I have learned more and done more in my role here than I could have done in 2+ years with a bigger company. Whitepages encourages this growth in it's employees not just in the autonomy given to it's employees, but also with a learning and development stipend to be spent on continuing education. If you want to be surrounded by smart, talented professionals who will push you to improve and grow - Whitepages is a great fit.

I also appreciate the transparency from Whitepages leadership. There are no offices here, the CEO and CFO sit with the team. Our CEO sends weekly emails updating the team on what's going on, and we get insight into the business and different projects during our Bi-Weekly All Hands meetings.

Cons

No 401K match, but there are stock options and WP pays all 401K admin fees for employees.

5. "All In"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very talented team that is truly invested in the success of the company and is passionate about what they do.

Cons

No 401k match at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on long term growth

"Amazing office environment and work culture"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- People here are very pleasant and incredibly diverse. Discussion between teams is highly encouraged
    - Workloads can be challenging, and equally fulfilling. There is plenty of support from management and peers
    - Genuinely strives to do good by its customers. Identity data is a delicate business, but given multiple options, Whitepages management makes the right decisions
    - Respects work / life balance. In my role I have to sometimes handle something when not at work, but it never borders on the annoying
    - Excellent office environment, in both amenities and events. I really appreciate the all-hands where we peek into other business operations
    - I've never had to question my performance; management is quick to praise, and quick to correct behaviors as needed
    - My compensation makes me feel valued and appreciated

Cons

- May lack the structure and protocol of larger companies. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it required some adjusting to get used to a 'start-up' environment
    - There's a focus on speed in the office - if not managed well, it can muddle objectives and results. Speed is great for getting a product into a live environment, but doing too many things at once can sometimes be detrimental

Advice to Management

Continue doing the following:
    - Publicly recognize strong performance and people that embody the core values
    - Communicate business successes and metrics with transparency, as it really does help inform employees
    - Allow people to own their own projects, as it builds trust and accountability

The only thing I'd like to see is more attention at internal mobility. People exploring other career options is never discouraged, and networking is very easy to do here. However, there may be more opportunity for senior management to promote these opportunities, to both help the business stay healthy and to improve employee skills

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment, people, and leadership are all great. I feel lucky to work here.

Cons

The only con is the lack of a matching 401k.

"Free snacks only go so far"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Whitepages has a great downtown location with an open work environment with great views. Employees enjoy unlimited vacation - but only if you are not paid hourly, free lunch twice a month, and a kitchen with all of the snacks you could ever want.

Cons

Stagnant growth for the past year or so which will continue to be the norm. The culture has grown to be an environment that makes it hard for females to be heard and recognized. Leadership will talk about change and revenue growth, but it seems to be all talk.

"Great place to work"

I worked at Whitepages full-time

Pros

Great work environment
    Flexible vacation policy
    Friendly culture

Cons

Small company - less room for switching roles

"Encouraging Growth and Learning Everyday"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and managers encourage learning
    Open floor plan with relaxed environment
    Clear goals and objectives
    Great people!

Cons

Moving fast and making changes daily, it can be difficult to keep up with what all departments are doing
    There is always work to do, so it can be hard to stop at the end of the day

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for great work from your employees!