Whitepages Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Whitepages CEO Rob Eleveld
Rob Eleveld

Pros
  • Another important "pro" of working here is that I have a great work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Tech perks: snacks, booze, happy hours, catered lunches (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Constantly growing and exhibiting some growing pains (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours, high employee turnover, CEO has no consistent vision for the company and lacks empathy for employees (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great people, interesting work, and an exciting future"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I'm surrounded by smart and passionate people.
    - The best parts of working for a startup: new/exciting business opportunities, ambitious goals, ability to wear a lot of hats and really make a difference
    - Stability and security of a 20 year old company.
    - WP actually takes their "Data for Good" line seriously, setting a high moral bar in what is often a fairly sketchy industry.
    - Office kegerator + booze shelf, catered lunch or happy hour every Friday.
    - Very transparent with company and departmental finances / goals / changes.
    - I work 40-45 hours per week, pretty much 9-5, although I'm happy to take the occasional 7am call, and of course to travel as needed, etc.

Cons

- WP is the type of company that moves fast in reaction to new market opportunities, and sometimes things don't pan out. Thankfully it's a diverse enough company that people can often move laterally, but there have been a few strong employees who end up with short tenures.
    - Perhaps not the best choice for non-drinkers. It's not that people are being compelled to drink, but there is certainly a lot of temptation all around.

Advice to Management

Frankly, just keep it up. I have a lot of respect for Rob and Jason, and agree with what they're trying to achieve with Whitepages. We've come a very long way, but we have a long way to go!

2. "Encouraging Growth and Learning Everyday"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and managers encourage learning
    Open floor plan with relaxed environment
    Clear goals and objectives
    Great people!

Cons

Moving fast and making changes daily, it can be difficult to keep up with what all departments are doing
    There is always work to do, so it can be hard to stop at the end of the day

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for great work from your employees!

3. "Great company with real growth potential"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, competitive pay, flexible scheduling, pathways for growth

Cons

Growing pains, sometimes unclear goals

5. "Review from Whitepages vet"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Strong culture that values hard work, respect of all colleagues and provides significant opportunities for career growth.
    - Transparent leadership that enables bottom-up ownership and encourages creative thinking from all levels of the org.
    - Whitepages is willing to take big bets on product/strategy and pony up the resources to make these bets successful.

Cons

- We try to do a lot with a relatively tight staff, which can hurt focus from time to time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the open lines of communication and transparency. The improvements here over the past year have made a significant difference in morale, employee efficiency and execution. Seeing this communication from the top sets a great example to rest of the employees, which benefits all parts of the org as communication improves throughout the company.

6. "Smart People / Challenging Enviroment"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Whitepages since early 2016 has been my most stimulating and satisfying step in my career so far. I am surrounded by colleagues with non-traditional backgrounds who all bring unique skills and mindsets to the workplace. I appreciate that our executive team seems to focus more on intellectual curiosity and potential in candidates then exactly where they have been.

I came to Whitepages with a sales management background and some software development knowledge. I was initially hired as an Account Executive but earned the opportunity to move into a role where I manage a book of our larger accounts. I love my job because I get to dive deep into exactly how my customer uses our data with a goal of uncovering opportunities to improve our products and expand our offerings into other lines of business. My role is very technical and I spend much of my day employing what I know about writing code to help customers fix issues and bugs and maximizing the value of our products. I am a perfect example of how Whitepages encourages employee growth and helps facilitate finding the perfect spot for a person's skills and interests.

I genuinely enjoy everyone I work with as colleagues and friends and we have a lot of fun here while working hard!

Cons

We are still a start up. Our executive team takes business risks and chances as we grow into new markets and not all of these bets pan out. Because we are learning as we grow, roles and responsibilities can change quickly and anyone who is not easily adaptable will not last.

Advice to Management

Keeping rigging for speed!

7. "Whitepages Review"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture that combines agile feel of a startup with the stability that comes from a company that has been around for the past 20 years. Working in small teams has allowed for great interaction between colleagues that provide opportunities for everyone to contribute and own their work.

Cons

Smaller teams in a changing business model create a need to quickly and effectively complete work at a high level. We are always looking for new talented people to make up the help we need with pushing forward.

8. "Fun Place to Work"

Current Employee - Risk Partnership Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Risk Partnership Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart and fun team members
    - Collaborative Environment
    - Great product!
    - Office is A+
    - Work/Life Balance
    - Ability to travel internationally
    - Product helps fight fraud and you are helping consumers

Cons

- Work can take over your life if you don't delegate and say no
    - Competitive industry where things change constantly
    - Complicated product

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the risk industry and keep valuing your employees as we continue to grow.

9. "Workplace that rewards people that go above and beyond"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Solid career progression
    -Flat-ish org structure
    -Fair compensations
    -Awesome office (snacks, standing desks, kegs, etc)

Cons

-Hard to hit sales targets on the telesales team
    -Company events are not as extravagant recently
    -No 401k matching

10. "Solid fast growing company with good career trajectory"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Clear company direction and goals across both Whitepages Premium and Pro business units. Team is entrepreneurial, motivated and with a sense of urgency and purpose

- Good opportunity to learn and grow in a fast growing Seattle startup. What you learn here in 2-3 years, will take you 10 at Microsoft or Amazon

Cons

- Not really a con, but if you need a lot of direction and hand-holding, this is not the place for you. It is a growing company with the pains that come with it. Not a place with all the structures and processes. You are thrown in the deep end of the pool, figure out what needs to be done, learn to do them and grow.

Advice to Management

Invest in branding. We have good products and great employees building them. I do not think as many people in Seattle know about us and all the interesting work we do.

11. "Great company, Great culture and Great people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work as a software engineer in Whitepages. When I just joined the company, I was given a lot of responsibilities to own multiple systems and work across teams. Now I work in three teams and enjoy coming to work everyday. I pick up my own task, talk to my teammates to design it and work to completion. I can just walk to anyone's desk and ask a question. I have to say that I have learned a tons of stuff in the last few months. Whitepages gives me the comfort of a large company while giving the start-up experience working with 25 engineers to run a website which has 65 million unique visitors a month. One best thing which I love about this company is the awesome culture and the cool people with whom I work. You really need to be here to experience it :) Another perk is that you can talk to your CEO whenever you want and he is very transparent about the things thats going on in the company . I have conversed with Rob couple of times and found him to be a great person with the passion for business and a positive attitude.

Cons

Innovation is the key for any business. I kind of think we have to improve more in innovating new products. It still lacks the brand value among engineers and in business. It is much needed to attract more talent into the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture thats what make Whitepages great. Improve on innovation and improving our products and brand value.