Whitepages Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
Whitepages CEO Rob Eleveld
Rob Eleveld

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Another important "pro" of working here is that I have a great work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Tech perks: snacks, booze, happy hours, catered lunches (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Constantly growing and exhibiting some growing pains (in 6 reviews)

• No 401K match, but there are stock options and WP pays all 401K admin fees for employees (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great people, interesting work, and an exciting future"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I'm surrounded by smart and passionate people.
    - The best parts of working for a startup: new/exciting business opportunities, ambitious goals, ability to wear a lot of hats and really make a difference
    - Stability and security of a 20 year old company.
    - WP actually takes their "Data for Good" line seriously, setting a high moral bar in what is often a fairly sketchy industry.
    - Office kegerator + booze shelf, catered lunch or happy hour every Friday.
    - Very transparent with company and departmental finances / goals / changes.
    - I work 40-45 hours per week, pretty much 9-5, although I'm happy to take the occasional 7am call, and of course to travel as needed, etc.

Cons

- WP is the type of company that moves fast in reaction to new market opportunities, and sometimes things don't pan out. Thankfully it's a diverse enough company that people can often move laterally, but there have been a few strong employees who end up with short tenures.
    - Perhaps not the best choice for non-drinkers. It's not that people are being compelled to drink, but there is certainly a lot of temptation all around.

Advice to Management

Frankly, just keep it up. I have a lot of respect for Rob and Jason, and agree with what they're trying to achieve with Whitepages. We've come a very long way, but we have a long way to go!

"WhitePages.com: the best keep secret in Seattle"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

Pros

WhitePages is still a small enough company where employees truly can make a difference. There are a ton of interesting problems to solve everyday. It is a definitely a work hard and play hard place. The company has been profitable from day one so there is not a fear of walking in one day finding that the company has run out of money. Finally, it is located in downtown Seattle which puts you right in the heart of things.

Cons

Sometimes things don't get done as fast as management would like.

Advice to Management

Continue growing the company the right way--creating a culture that rewards innovation and execution

"Fantastic small company to work for that's changing the way the world search, finds and connects with each other"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

It's the perfect small company experience. You learn a lot about all the areas of the business. You are able and empowered to make a difference on a daily basis. We are working on solving tough problems and making a difference in the world by making it fantiastically simple for everyone to find each other and then connect with confidence. People have a lot of fun working here, you work hard and play hard as the company sponsors so many perks to balance life out - there is "twelve" a fantastic meeting spot game room, food, fun play area, company events and impromtu parties. They just launched WP University, which focuses specifically on knowledge sharing across the company which helps you grow professionally. Great bennies, respectful atmosphere, solid values. That plus the company is very solid financially and profitable makes this a great place to work.

Cons

A little more vacation time would be great. I know we get three weeks plus sick, but my husband gets more than that so it is hard to balance. I always come back more refreshed and energized if I can get two weeks off in a row.

Advice to Management

Great job on communicating company goals, performance (even if we miss) and where we stand financially, great transparency keep it up.

"Still love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The work I do has a direct impact on company success, love the people I work with

Cons

Unseasoned mid management team, many of the managers are new and need some training

Advice to Management

Continue to act like a start up in may ways, but honor the fact that this is a well established and closely managed company, which has made it successful

"An excellent "just right" size company for a new grad to make an impact and learn"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

The engineering core at WP is dedicated and sets up a great environment in which things get done. The CEO and CTO are very accessible to talk to on a daily basis, and truly value Engineering excellence. Great office and great benefits.

Cons

As a front-end developer, the advertising tactics requested by the product owners distract too much from the great services put forth, e.g. pop-under ads, unclearly marked partner links, etc.

Technical debt remaining after each sprint is not scheduled into the scope of feature work, causing headaches and old software versions (Rails 2.1.0 being the primary example)

Advice to Management

Please bring back hack week! The front end engineers need already dedicated architect / lead position to head up cross-team projects.

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great people, lots of comraderie, competitive benefits and salary, good work-life balance, decisive leadership, profitable, fun work environment in a great location in the middle of downtown Seattle.

Cons

They have had some turnover of late but that seems to have stabilized and they are focused on growth areas with good prospects.

Advice to Management

There is some excellent talent in middle management -- give them the room to run their business units and you will be happy with the resuts.

"I have had a good experience working at WhitePages and appreciate the great people, and the benefits!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

We work with very smart and talented and creative people. We have great benefits as far as time off, continuing education and healthcare and a Friday lunch every other Friday.
     We have an executive team that allows us a lot of freedom in how we get our jobs done.

Cons

It would be nice to have a 401k match contribution

"Awesome! I was given a lot of responsibility but also held accountable."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

I loved the open culture that the CEO had built and that everyone was accountable for their work. This isn't the kind of place where all the VPs get to slack off and everyone else does the work.

Cons

I would encourage the company to continue to find balance between work and personal life. It's something that is already done well but can always be improved.

"Love working here!"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We have a great environment with awesome tech tools (I will never be able to work anywhere again without my dual 24" monitors) and you're not tied to your desk - you can work in the casual areas in a nice big comfy beanbag chair if you want. The are always opportunities to learn new things and increase your skills. For someone who is very focused on title vs. responsibility and what you do, it's probably not the right place to be, but for opportunity it's great. I've had more opportunity here and learned more here than I have at all my other jobs combined. We're profitable and don't require outside funding to explore other products, ideas or make payroll! (knowing you're going to get paid when you expect to, is awesome!) Typically the people I've seen that are unhappy here are not very motivated and lack personal accountability so they tend to flounder in this type of environment. Our all company kick off meeting is in Whistler in January for four days...what's not to like!

Cons

It takes a long time to hire engineering staff here, but mostly because our hiring bar is so high, but that can be frustrating. We don't always have enough hours in the day to do everything we want to, so that can can also be a little frustrating, but we eventually get it done.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust that the people you hired in for their expertise will get the job done right and we'll continue to be successful!

"Startup environment AND profitable. Best of both worlds!"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company treats their employees great. Lots of perks. Good benefits, tech gear, happy hours, lunches, training/education. I keep waiting for the honeymoon period to end! We are able to work autonomously and get things done. Yes, there is interaction with the executive team but I consider it a plus that they show an active interest in what is going on. Cool technology company and leader the space.

Cons

If you are someone that is not willing to wear multiple hats and do some of the tactical work, this is not the place for you. Be prepared to work all aspects of your job. Top to bottom.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay involved and active. It shows that you are interested and care about what happens to this company and the people.