Whitepages Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Whitepages CEO Rob Eleveld
Rob Eleveld

Pros
  • Another important "pro" of working here is that I have a great work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Furthermore, the outings and happy hours made the experience as fun as it was educational (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Constantly growing and exhibiting some growing pains (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours, high employee turnover, CEO has no consistent vision for the company and lacks empathy for employees (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great people, interesting work, and an exciting future"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I'm surrounded by smart and passionate people.
    - The best parts of working for a startup: new/exciting business opportunities, ambitious goals, ability to wear a lot of hats and really make a difference
    - Stability and security of a 20 year old company.
    - WP actually takes their "Data for Good" line seriously, setting a high moral bar in what is often a fairly sketchy industry.
    - Office kegerator + booze shelf, catered lunch or happy hour every Friday.
    - Very transparent with company and departmental finances / goals / changes.
    - I work 40-45 hours per week, pretty much 9-5, although I'm happy to take the occasional 7am call, and of course to travel as needed, etc.

Cons

- WP is the type of company that moves fast in reaction to new market opportunities, and sometimes things don't pan out. Thankfully it's a diverse enough company that people can often move laterally, but there have been a few strong employees who end up with short tenures.
    - Perhaps not the best choice for non-drinkers. It's not that people are being compelled to drink, but there is certainly a lot of temptation all around.

Advice to Management

Frankly, just keep it up. I have a lot of respect for Rob and Jason, and agree with what they're trying to achieve with Whitepages. We've come a very long way, but we have a long way to go!

2. "Great place to work"

I worked at Whitepages full-time

Pros

Great work environment
    Flexible vacation policy
    Friendly culture

Cons

Small company - less room for switching roles

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Product in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Whitepages has several top-notch people and good collaborative work culture. As a junior/middle manager, I get responsibility and enjoy working with a great team. We enjoy very good work-life balance in the Seattle office, and the office amenities are awesome.

Cons

I like the leadership team, except when they micromanage a lot. Rob, our CEO, tends to give prescriptive instructions and keeps changing direction. Maybe he does not trust his LT, who IMHO are really competent? He is a very good public speaker and friendly person, but it would be so much better if he did not micromanage.

Advice to Management

Thanks for great company culture and office space
    Please trust your team and not be prescriptive

5. "Great Company, Great People"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Whitepages provides a great working environment for all employees. We are a fast moving company, making great strides and improvements. There is a lot of room for personal growth and focus on employee development.

Cons

Being a small team, we can be pulled in many directions and with limited people resources.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

6. "Encouraging Growth and Learning Everyday"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and managers encourage learning
    Open floor plan with relaxed environment
    Clear goals and objectives
    Great people!

Cons

Moving fast and making changes daily, it can be difficult to keep up with what all departments are doing
    There is always work to do, so it can be hard to stop at the end of the day

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for great work from your employees!

7. "Great company with real growth potential"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, competitive pay, flexible scheduling, pathways for growth

Cons

Growing pains, sometimes unclear goals

8. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time

Pros

Whitepages has great benefits:
    - A large snack selection
    - A bar (kegs, wine, alcohol, etc.)
    - Company events with free food and alcohol
    - Great compensation and health benefits
    - The Company is small, however, each employee is talented/intelligent. Is great to have that kind of talent around you as it pushes you to work at your best.

Cons

- Turnover is high, specially since there has been a lot of org changes.
    - Company does not match 401k contributions

9. "Review from Whitepages vet"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Strong culture that values hard work, respect of all colleagues and provides significant opportunities for career growth.
    - Transparent leadership that enables bottom-up ownership and encourages creative thinking from all levels of the org.
    - Whitepages is willing to take big bets on product/strategy and pony up the resources to make these bets successful.

Cons

- We try to do a lot with a relatively tight staff, which can hurt focus from time to time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the open lines of communication and transparency. The improvements here over the past year have made a significant difference in morale, employee efficiency and execution. Seeing this communication from the top sets a great example to rest of the employees, which benefits all parts of the org as communication improves throughout the company.

10. "Smart People / Challenging Enviroment"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Whitepages since early 2016 has been my most stimulating and satisfying step in my career so far. I am surrounded by colleagues with non-traditional backgrounds who all bring unique skills and mindsets to the workplace. I appreciate that our executive team seems to focus more on intellectual curiosity and potential in candidates then exactly where they have been.

I came to Whitepages with a sales management background and some software development knowledge. I was initially hired as an Account Executive but earned the opportunity to move into a role where I manage a book of our larger accounts. I love my job because I get to dive deep into exactly how my customer uses our data with a goal of uncovering opportunities to improve our products and expand our offerings into other lines of business. My role is very technical and I spend much of my day employing what I know about writing code to help customers fix issues and bugs and maximizing the value of our products. I am a perfect example of how Whitepages encourages employee growth and helps facilitate finding the perfect spot for a person's skills and interests.

I genuinely enjoy everyone I work with as colleagues and friends and we have a lot of fun here while working hard!

Cons

We are still a start up. Our executive team takes business risks and chances as we grow into new markets and not all of these bets pan out. Because we are learning as we grow, roles and responsibilities can change quickly and anyone who is not easily adaptable will not last.

Advice to Management

Keeping rigging for speed!

11. "Whitepages Review"

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture that combines agile feel of a startup with the stability that comes from a company that has been around for the past 20 years. Working in small teams has allowed for great interaction between colleagues that provide opportunities for everyone to contribute and own their work.

Cons

Smaller teams in a changing business model create a need to quickly and effectively complete work at a high level. We are always looking for new talented people to make up the help we need with pushing forward.