Whitepages Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2021

Found 24 of over 152 reviews

3.7
Whitepages CEO Leigh McMillan (no image)
Leigh McMillan

57 Comments

Tech

207.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Whitepages~105846
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Exciting place to work

Aug 8, 2019 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Whitepages has about 30 employees, which means it is small enough that everyone knows what is going on. The culture set by management is great - employees are given authority, tools and responsibly to get things done. There is little or no "politics". The whole company emphases openness (regular all hands where financial & business results are shared) & collaboration (people work together to solve problems, often across different disciplines). There is plenty of opportunity to learn about new stuff. The overall feel is a bit like a startup (despite being 20+ years old), but just the good parts of a startup: freedom, responsibility, attitude, openness, clever people, work hard and get rewarded. The physical space is great and reflects the culture: open plan, sit/stand desks, no offices (even for the CEO) so everyone is accessible. But at the same time, it is a work environment, there is not too much noise. In one of the best locations in downtown Seattle with easy access to transit & lots of food trucks and restaurants.

Cons

Whitepages has a good strategic vision and is not constantly changing direction (unlike some other "startup"-like companies), but sometimes these get interrupted to react to something that is happening in the marketplace. Benefits are very good, but can be communicated poorly (e.g. the "unlimited vacation" which is not truly unlimited).

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 4.0

Whitepages

Apr 14, 2020 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working in Whitepages Full-time for a little less than 6 months. Transparent leadership, management is aware of their goals and upcoming roadmaps and planning ahead with the market changes. Great opportunity to work with a diverse team and a smart group of people. Good work-life balance and opportunities to grow your career. Since its a small company, it gives you the opportunity to contribute and have ownership of your work. Employee benefits are pretty good and management takes good care of the employees.

Cons

Although Whitepages offers great benefits and employer HSA contributions, Whitepages does not do 401k matching. Being part of small companies you have to wear multiple hats which can be challenging at times to fulfill different responsiblities. Managing the workload is the biggest challenge.

Whitepages Response

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback and insight as a software engineer and the makeup of the teams. We appreciate you hard work and dedication to getting the job done.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee

Tremendous growth company with products people don't even know about and more visitors to the core website than ESPN

Jan 29, 2015 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people with interesting products and a big big big growth plan. You code on day 1 and your impact is LARGE. They pay really well and are getting better about removing people who don't perform before they reap havoc. Unlimited vacation (well, that is a misnomer bc you can't really take more than 4 weeks without business impact), training budget (who has those anymore), a willingness to switch to new cool products (Scala) when the rest of the world is still moving to Ruby. options that I think may actually mean something vs some of my other startups, company trips to Vegas, Whistler, and Bend, a kegerator and a well stocked whisky wall, lunch with the CEO every other week and happy hour every other Friday. Too many things.

Cons

sometimes we have to do work twice or three times because the directions initially are not complete from the product team so the features change and the product slips. It's improving on one team with the arrival of the EVP of Product though and I'm betting we get this humming soon.

4. 5.0

Great company, Great culture and Great people

Nov 28, 2016 - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I work as a software engineer in Whitepages. When I just joined the company, I was given a lot of responsibilities to own multiple systems and work across teams. Now I work in three teams and enjoy coming to work everyday. I pick up my own task, talk to my teammates to design it and work to completion. I can just walk to anyone's desk and ask a question. I have to say that I have learned a tons of stuff in the last few months. Whitepages gives me the comfort of a large company while giving the start-up experience working with 25 engineers to run a website which has 65 million unique visitors a month. One best thing which I love about this company is the awesome culture and the cool people with whom I work. You really need to be here to experience it :) Another perk is that you can talk to your CEO whenever you want and he is very transparent about the things thats going on in the company . I have conversed with Rob couple of times and found him to be a great person with the passion for business and a positive attitude.

Cons

Innovation is the key for any business. I kind of think we have to improve more in innovating new products. It still lacks the brand value among engineers and in business. It is much needed to attract more talent into the company.

5. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

An Interns opinon

Nov 18, 2015 - Software Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This past summer I joined Whitepages as a front end engineering intern, and by the end of the summer I was a fully functioning member of one of the Full Stack teams. I started the summer with no knowledge of the web frameworks and architectures that were currently being used. My mentor however, did a really good job of finding relevant projects that I could work on while learning the frameworks. I felt like while I was learning I was still making an impact on my team from day one. Once I was up to speed I began taking on projects like any other full-time team member. I can honestly say at Whitepages I was surrounded by people who were willing to help me improve, and I feel that I made an impact from day one. I enjoyed interning at Whitepages and I have decided to return as a full time employee.

Cons

One downside from this summer was performance reviews. I felt there could have been better communication regarding how I was performing throughout the internship. It was unclear if they thought I was doing well or I could improve until the last week of my internship.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful co-workers and a great place to learn

Nov 16, 2016 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked here for two years as a full-stack engineer. I began as an intern in 2014 and converted to full-time after my graduation in 2015. Throughout the entire time, I've learned so much about how to approach problems and create maintainable, scalable solutions. There is very little ego in the engineering departments, which means I don't have any problems approaching other teams about issues that I need help with.

Cons

I always feel a little self-consious about working at a company that has data for almost every adult in North America. It's a huge privacy concern. However, knowing that we try our best to take down information for people who request it sets my mind at ease. Recently, our CEO has changed from Alex Algard to Rob Elevelt. Rob is an excellent public speaker, but lacks the engineering background that Alex had. As a result, all-hands meetings have become much more focused on what the Whitepages Pro (B2B) portion of the company is doing, which isn't as interesting to me.

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee

An excellent "just right" size company for a new grad to make an impact and learn

Apr 19, 2011 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The engineering core at WP is dedicated and sets up a great environment in which things get done. The CEO and CTO are very accessible to talk to on a daily basis, and truly value Engineering excellence. Great office and great benefits.

Cons

As a front-end developer, the advertising tactics requested by the product owners distract too much from the great services put forth, e.g. pop-under ads, unclearly marked partner links, etc. Technical debt remaining after each sprint is not scheduled into the scope of feature work, causing headaches and old software versions (Rails 2.1.0 being the primary example)

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Short-term gig

Aug 14, 2019 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Summarized: Exposure to technology and people. It's a smaller team, so there's a lot of exposure to the different types of technologies. Issues are handled quickly by the people on-call. Lots of interaction with both your teammates, and people in other groups.

Cons

Summarized: Short-term gig. The learning curve levels off fairly quickly after a year. Not much of a code review since PMs are breathing down your neck, so no wonder there's a good handle on fixing production issues fast.

5 people found this review helpful

Whitepages Response

CEO

Me (Leigh, CEO) and the folks heading up Product appreciate your input and frankly, concur with some of the points you've expressed. Now that we are past the disruption associated with the spin-off of Ekata, we've been focused on a) bringing in senior engineering leadership, including a new VP of Engineering that we are very excited about, b) establishing a better partnership with Product and c) empowering engineers to drive solutions and timelines. We are tackling big projects - both near and long term including adopting AI, automating A/B testing and innovating on our data assets, giving engineers significant opportunities for ownership and career growth. Regarding communications, while we can absolutely still improve, I am endeavoring to be more in tune with questions, concerns and interests across the team and adjusting our company communications to try and address them, starting with engagement across the company in the long-term, post-spin off plan. Thanks again for the input.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent! I love this company!

Sep 28, 2017 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Everyone is friendly and helpful. No office politics. The CEO Rob's desk is among other employees'. - Good work/life balance - Good office management! - Team events such as kayaking and room escape. - Among five IT company's job offers, I chose Whitepages. - With the ORCA card provided by the company, I pay almost zero for the daily commute. - Hackathon!!! My manager encouraged me to join the hackathon even when there were a lot of normal work to do. Non-tech people were also encouraged to join.

Cons

- Can't think of any except not matching 401k.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

I had a great experience as a summer intern and signed full time at the end.

Feb 10, 2015 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked on the CoreSite team, which is responsible for all of the websites owned by Whitepages. My official intern project consisted of working on an internal service used by customer service and it was a great way to ramp up. I had never used a lot of the technologies there, so it was a great way to familiarize myself with all of them. My project began by addressing some bugs that the service had, but I eventually got to implement a few new features in it, too. Throughout the process, my team was a powerful asset. My mentor was always available to answer all of my questions or look over a code review and the rest of the team made sure that I felt welcome and a part of the team. Team lunches were common and we even went to a bar a few times to watch the World Cup games. As interns, we got to go out a few times with our mentors for some bonding events. Our first event, minigolf, involved busing to the local putt-putt range and buying several pitchers of beer, then heading out to the greens. Beer and minigolf may seem like an odd combination, but it was perfect for getting to know the other interns and mentors; I had a blast! Another event involved "Whirlyball", which I can only describe as something like lacrosse and bumper cars. We spent the day playing it and had another fantastic experience bonding over food, alcohol, and fun. As my internship reached its end, I found myself doing more and more work on the public-facing websites. During a major redesign of the main site, our main UX developer gave me a couple tasks to work on because he was swamped. I was hooked! I began transitioning from mainly working on back-end services to front-end and realized that this was where my true passion lay. At the end of my internship, I received an offer for a full-time position after I finished school and a part-time offer for the school year. I accepted both and have not regretted my decision at all.

Cons

Some of our releases can be hectic. During one release, we began work to merge a major new feature in at 9 AM and didn't finish until around 8 PM that day. Personally, this isn't a huge con for me because I love the fact that we don't settle for mediocrity; we stay until things work perfectly.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Reviews