Whitepages Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Whitepages CEO Rob Eleveld
Rob Eleveld
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Another important "pro" of working here is that I have a great work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Tech perks: snacks, booze, happy hours, catered lunches (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Constantly growing and exhibiting some growing pains (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours, high employee turnover, CEO has no consistent vision for the company and lacks empathy for employees (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company, Great culture and Great people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work as a software engineer in Whitepages. When I just joined the company, I was given a lot of responsibilities to own multiple systems and work across teams. Now I work in three teams and enjoy coming to work everyday. I pick up my own task, talk to my teammates to design it and work to completion. I can just walk to anyone's desk and ask a question. I have to say that I have learned a tons of stuff in the last few months. Whitepages gives me the comfort of a large company while giving the start-up experience working with 25 engineers to run a website which has 65 million unique visitors a month. One best thing which I love about this company is the awesome culture and the cool people with whom I work. You really need to be here to experience it :) Another perk is that you can talk to your CEO whenever you want and he is very transparent about the things thats going on in the company . I have conversed with Rob couple of times and found him to be a great person with the passion for business and a positive attitude.

Cons

Innovation is the key for any business. I kind of think we have to improve more in innovating new products. It still lacks the brand value among engineers and in business. It is much needed to attract more talent into the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture thats what make Whitepages great. Improve on innovation and improving our products and brand value.

"Wonderful co-workers and a great place to learn"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked here for two years as a full-stack engineer. I began as an intern in 2014 and converted to full-time after my graduation in 2015. Throughout the entire time, I've learned so much about how to approach problems and create maintainable, scalable solutions. There is very little ego in the engineering departments, which means I don't have any problems approaching other teams about issues that I need help with.

Cons

I always feel a little self-consious about working at a company that has data for almost every adult in North America. It's a huge privacy concern. However, knowing that we try our best to take down information for people who request it sets my mind at ease.
    Recently, our CEO has changed from Alex Algard to Rob Elevelt. Rob is an excellent public speaker, but lacks the engineering background that Alex had. As a result, all-hands meetings have become much more focused on what the Whitepages Pro (B2B) portion of the company is doing, which isn't as interesting to me.

Advice to Management

Don't try to fire up engineers with business cliches.

3. "An Interns opinon"

I have been working at Whitepages as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This past summer I joined Whitepages as a front end engineering intern, and by the end of the summer I was a fully functioning member of one of the Full Stack teams. I started the summer with no knowledge of the web frameworks and architectures that were currently being used. My mentor however, did a really good job of finding relevant projects that I could work on while learning the frameworks. I felt like while I was learning I was still making an impact on my team from day one. Once I was up to speed I began taking on projects like any other full-time team member. I can honestly say at Whitepages I was surrounded by people who were willing to help me improve, and I feel that I made an impact from day one. I enjoyed interning at Whitepages and I have decided to return as a full time employee.

Cons

One downside from this summer was performance reviews. I felt there could have been better communication regarding how I was performing throughout the internship. It was unclear if they thought I was doing well or I could improve until the last week of my internship.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job creating a culture that fosters the growth of ideas and learning within the work place. I think it is important to keep growing this culture because some great ideas can begin to form when employees are given the time and freedom to take risks and be innovative.

4. "Best of big and small company culture - leave Silicon Valley and come to Seattle!"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Whitepages as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I left Silicon Valley for this internship and couldn't have been happier with the choice. I applied after going a party at Whitepages with a current employee and good friend. The people here were (and are) great and I felt comfortable with literally everyone I met, something I can't say is true for most software companies.

As far as internships go, this was probably the most fun and nuturing one I've had as well as the most stressful - but in a good way! It seemed like every intern got a concrete and interesting project to work on. I worked with the fairly small Pro team, for business-facing services. Most of the Pro Engineering team actually works in Hungary, but I worked with a small team in the Seattle office. Initially my intern project was a fairly small (read: doable in a summer) Ruby service. That got turned around the week before I arrived, and my project changed into a much larger Scala service to be jointly worked on with other full-time engineers. Being completely new to both Scala and functional programming, I definitely learned a ton during the internship about different styles and better code design as well as a new and increasingly popular language, which is always a plus.

Additionally, I was very impressed by the mentorship and the general treatment of interns as basically short-term full-time engineers. Everyone at the company works hard and is very, very good at what they do. It's very refreshing to feel like you can learn so much from the people you work with. What's even better is that all these smart people are super helpful and willing to discuss your work or attend numerous code reviews.

In terms of more official management, I was assigned a mentor to work day-to-day and a higher-up manager. My mentor was very attentive and great at encouraging me to work on my own while still providing enough guidance so I could grow. Even with a full team of engineers to take care of, my manager put the effort into meeting individually with every engineer and intern on the team to discuss any concerns about project direction or my mentor. Both also offered career advice and guidance about how to best show I deserved an offer, something that I felt really set this internship apart from previous ones. The internship was clearly intended for personal growth - even if I eventually didn't go with Whitepages, they gave us the opportunities to make connections and learn future career skills. We had regular check-ins with both managers and HR/recruiting about how the internship was going and even got to have coffee chats with the CEO, CTO, and CFO to ask anything we wanted. Overall I felt very well taken care of.

But enough about work - let's talk about play! Work balance was excellent - the cultural idea of "overworked people are less efficient". The offices are fairly new and equipment is easy to get. There's a a well-stocked kitchen, kegerator with rotating local brews, and and upper-end bar worthy alcohol display. Compensation for the internship as well as my full-time offer was comparable and in some cases even more than larger companies in the area and around the Bay. We had regular company or team lunches and happy hours, as well as internship events including Whiffleball, a brusing but fun experience in bumpercart sports, and mini-golf with beer.

I really enjoyed the experience and was very excited to receive an offer. I accepted and will be starting soon!

tl;dr: Excellent mentorship, learned a ton even with a slightly rough start, especially in terms of practical software design. Great company perks with lots of fun. Beer. As hoped, I was offered a job and accepted.

Cons

I had a rough start at the beginning of my internship with both the scope of the project and learning a fairly different style of programming. My mentor was a bit busy initially and the project scope had changed enough to be a bit disorganized, so I flailed a bit initially. However, I was grateful to get the chance to work with such a big and important project and I got much more mentorship and structure after the initial part, so it's probably because of the rare last minute pivot to a big project rather than a common internship theme.

5. "Startup culture, interesting work, values employees"

Current Employee - Software Engineer New Grad in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer New Grad in Seattle, WA

Pros

My experience at Whitepages has been awesome. I began working there as in intern with the mobile team and am about to begin working full time after being extended an offer at the end of my internship. Some of the highlights of Whitepages are intelligent and helpful coworkers, working with new technologies to tackle big problems (my team is transitioning to Scala to scale for increasing mobile traffic), great pay and benefits, and a brand new office downtown. My internship was both challenging and rewarding; I worked with my manager to find a suitable project (both feasibility and usefulness) and was already contributing code by the end of the week. I built an internal service from scratch that is used to manage all of the user messages that pop up in our mobile applications and I had the freedom to design and build the service and get guidance when I needed it. The mobile team (and other developers I worked with) was very friendly and there was a good mix of senior and junior developers. I learned a lot during my internship and had a lot of fun while I was there (we had great intern events like mini-golfing and whirlyball!). Whitepages has a great environment and future prospects; I am excited to begin full time work there.

Cons

Independence was a double edged sword for my internship. I appreciated the autonomy most of the time but I actually finished my intern project earlier than expected and had a few days where there wasn't much to do (probably exacerbated by the fact that I didn't have enough time to start anything too substantial).

Advice to Management

Keep on valuing your developers as you have been and try to keep our startup culture even as we continue to grow as a company.

6. "I had a great experience as a summer intern and signed full time at the end."

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked on the CoreSite team, which is responsible for all of the websites owned by Whitepages. My official intern project consisted of working on an internal service used by customer service and it was a great way to ramp up. I had never used a lot of the technologies there, so it was a great way to familiarize myself with all of them. My project began by addressing some bugs that the service had, but I eventually got to implement a few new features in it, too.

Throughout the process, my team was a powerful asset. My mentor was always available to answer all of my questions or look over a code review and the rest of the team made sure that I felt welcome and a part of the team. Team lunches were common and we even went to a bar a few times to watch the World Cup games.

As interns, we got to go out a few times with our mentors for some bonding events. Our first event, minigolf, involved busing to the local putt-putt range and buying several pitchers of beer, then heading out to the greens. Beer and minigolf may seem like an odd combination, but it was perfect for getting to know the other interns and mentors; I had a blast! Another event involved "Whirlyball", which I can only describe as something like lacrosse and bumper cars. We spent the day playing it and had another fantastic experience bonding over food, alcohol, and fun.

As my internship reached its end, I found myself doing more and more work on the public-facing websites. During a major redesign of the main site, our main UX developer gave me a couple tasks to work on because he was swamped. I was hooked! I began transitioning from mainly working on back-end services to front-end and realized that this was where my true passion lay.

At the end of my internship, I received an offer for a full-time position after I finished school and a part-time offer for the school year. I accepted both and have not regretted my decision at all.

Cons

Some of our releases can be hectic. During one release, we began work to merge a major new feature in at 9 AM and didn't finish until around 8 PM that day. Personally, this isn't a huge con for me because I love the fact that we don't settle for mediocrity; we stay until things work perfectly.

7. "Tremendous growth company with products people don't even know about and more visitors to the core website than ESPN"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time

Pros

Smart people with interesting products and a big big big growth plan. You code on day 1 and your impact is LARGE. They pay really well and are getting better about removing people who don't perform before they reap havoc. Unlimited vacation (well, that is a misnomer bc you can't really take more than 4 weeks without business impact), training budget (who has those anymore), a willingness to switch to new cool products (Scala) when the rest of the world is still moving to Ruby. options that I think may actually mean something vs some of my other startups, company trips to Vegas, Whistler, and Bend, a kegerator and a well stocked whisky wall, lunch with the CEO every other week and happy hour every other Friday. Too many things.

Cons

sometimes we have to do work twice or three times because the directions initially are not complete from the product team so the features change and the product slips. It's improving on one team with the arrival of the EVP of Product though and I'm betting we get this humming soon.

Advice to Management

More positive feedback. Thanks for the engagement survey. Look at the disconnect between product, design and engineering and fix it with better product plans and not adding features to the sprints at the last minute. I want to do great work but lose motivation when the work I do today has to be redone tomorrow and better up front planning will stop that. The projects themselves are fun and i can't wait to see how far CallerID flies with it's new upgrade.

8. "A fantastic opportunity for a software engineer intern"

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I came to Whitepages as an intern for the backend mobile team. Prior to my time here, I had no experience developing software professionally, but Whitepages made this transition easy. Throughout the full duration of my employment I found myself surrounded by tremendously intelligent engineers who were always happy to lend a helping hand. Furthermore, the outings and happy hours made the experience as fun as it was educational. Perhaps the best part of my internship was that it ended with a job offer! I'm excited to be returning back to the company in the Summer.

All interns were given specific projects to work on over the summer. My job was to replace an existing web service with a new, fully rewritten version. While the service used to handle its demand adequately, it had proven to scale poorly. Additionally, the service had mediocre documentation and horribly confusing code organization. I was to rewrite the service in Scala using Futures for parallelism, design an easy to understand code layout, and improve the documentation. The task was quite large, but its many obstacles opened tremendous opportunities for my growth as a programmer. Over the course of the project I had the fortune of gaining experience with Scala, parallel programming, functional programming, RESTful web services, performance testing, documentation tools, and much more!

My time at Whitepages was as fun as it was productive. Every other Friday involved a themed happy hour, hosted by a different team each time. These happy hours were made possible by the kegerator and whiskey bar in the common area of the office. Interns got to take part in intern outings to play mini golf and whirleyball, which is a ridiculous combination of basketball, lacrosse, and bumper cars. Whenever there was a day without an event, the Razor scooters scattered around the office provided a fun way to get around.

To any computer science student, I would highly recommend interning at Whitepages. The experience was fun, educational, and paid well.

Cons

My mentor had recommended that I give a number of tech talks while I was at Whitepages. While this wasn’t required, I was afraid to disappoint my mentor, and therefor I accepted the challenge. This endeavor was frustrating to say the least. While I loved the engineering aspects of the internship, these presentation ended up occupying way too much of my time. For a couple weeks I dreaded coming into the office knowing that nearly all my time would be sucked away by these presentations. The main project ended up not being completed as a result.

Not everyone will experience this, and honestly I should have spoken up about my dissatisfaction soon than I did. Regardless, it was definitely the biggest con of the experience.

Advice to Management

Employees are given many opportunities to give feedback; the work is challenging and rewarding; the culture is up-beat. My only advice is to keep it up!

9. "Good company--not perfect"

Former Employee - Senion Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senion Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Whitepages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Highly skilled, driven, passionate, and helpful people.

Cons

Leadership tends to fail on followthrough.

10. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Whitepages as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a nice work-life balance and a great office space to work in. I enjoy the adjustable height desks and casual games of magic the gathering every Thursday. The company is clearly working hard to keep people happy.

Cons

I have no complaints I can think of about working here.