KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Whitepages

Is this your company?

Whitepages

Add a Review

Whitepages Employee Reviews about "happy hours"

Updated Aug 29, 2019

Found 15 of over 150 reviews

4.4
Whitepages CEO Leigh McMillan (no image)
Leigh McMillan
Pros
  • "Whitepages is a small company with great benefits and good pay(in 55 reviews)

• "Good work-life balance and opportunities to grow your career(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If you want to be a miniscule cog in a monstrous machine, Whitepages is not for you(in 20 reviews)

• "Although we have great benefits and employer HSA contributions, Whitepages does not do 401k matching(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Join the conversation on

Tech

1y

a

Sales Engineer

313 Comments

Join the conversation on

Reviews about "happy hours"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to grow!

Aug 29, 2019 - Designer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Whitepages is a great place if you're looking to make a direct impact with your work and grow your career. We have a great new group of leadership who encourage and empower us to pursue new opportunities in our respective fields. - I don't feel the need to tiptoe or beat around the bush with my manager, we are very direct and open. My manager also treats me like a person, not just an employee. They are very understanding that life happens and the work/life balance is the best I've ever seen at a company. - Whitepages doesn't stand still or become complacent. We are always looking forward and it continues to be an exciting place to work. - The overall culture feels more like family/good pals versus co-workers. Employees go out to lunch together, happy hour, etc. Everyone is just so friendly and welcoming. - We have the most diverse group of employees, especially for such a small bunch. - There are a lot of the typical tech company perks such as snacks, lots of drink options, events, happy hours, lunches, stand-up desks, etc.

Cons

I completely understand the pros of hiring new grads, but we need some more mid/manager level engineers to mentor these youngins.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Small team, big opportunities

Sep 15, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of fun reasons to work at Whitepages, many of them outlined in previous reviews. Whitepages has a casual, laid back, start up type culture. We have bi-weekly catered lunches followed by an All Hands meeting, free snacks/drinks, a kegerator and bar in office for Happy Hours, onsite massages, and a fantastic open office space. What truly sets Whitepages apart, for me, is the opportunity to learn and grow professionally that is offered here. We are a small team, and therefore you need to roll up your sleeves, wear a lot of hats, and take ownership to get things done. In less than a year I have learned more and done more in my role here than I could have done in 2+ years with a bigger company. Whitepages encourages this growth in it's employees not just in the autonomy given to it's employees, but also with a learning and development stipend to be spent on continuing education. If you want to be surrounded by smart, talented professionals who will push you to improve and grow - Whitepages is a great fit. I also appreciate the transparency from Whitepages leadership. There are no offices here, the CEO and CFO sit with the team. Our CEO sends weekly emails updating the team on what's going on, and we get insight into the business and different projects during our Bi-Weekly All Hands meetings.

Cons

No 401K match, but there are stock options and WP pays all 401K admin fees for employees.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

WORK Hard PLAY Hard

Feb 5, 2015 - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best work environment I've worked in by far! There are so many company perks given to employees (whether you are hourly or salaried) that out-weigh the starting pay. Company trips, team building/social events, free food (snacks,breakfast, lunch on most days, even dinner now for people who stay late), happy hours, basically free ORCA card, unlimited PTO, the list goes on and on. Everyone is very welcoming and interested in getting to know you and how you like working at Whitepages. While there are many different teams, the office is not broken up into cliques and it is very easy to meet people. Everyone is very intelligent and passionate about what they do!

Cons

Fast paced work environment (which I happen to like) but you have to be very organized to not let it get the best of you. Training could use more structure.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Startup environment AND profitable. Best of both worlds!

Oct 19, 2012 - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company treats their employees great. Lots of perks. Good benefits, tech gear, happy hours, lunches, training/education. I keep waiting for the honeymoon period to end! We are able to work autonomously and get things done. Yes, there is interaction with the executive team but I consider it a plus that they show an active interest in what is going on. Cool technology company and leader the space.

Cons

If you are someone that is not willing to wear multiple hats and do some of the tactical work, this is not the place for you. Be prepared to work all aspects of your job. Top to bottom.

5. 5.0
      Current Intern

Whitepages summer interns are important to the company

Sep 5, 2018 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

-The interns are treated as any other employee and greeted with the same professional and welcoming kindness on a daily basis. People went out their way to get to know the interns -I got to see the shorter-term projects implimented. I wasn't given simply busy work -The team I worked with were great mentors and gladly helped with any problem or question I had -Fully stocked kitchen, free lunch every other Friday, happy hours, & really fun intern events like whirlyball & kayaking! -Most interns are offered a job after their internship

Cons

-We work at our desks all day, however, couches & bean bag chairs are often options -It takes some time to understand the complexity of the Whitepages Pro product if you don't come from a technical background -It varies from person to person but the age difference can sometimes be intimidating

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Things changed

Apr 17, 2016 -  in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great work perks - free snacks/food, free drinks, "unlimited" vacation (though this could also be a con for some people, depending on team), free Friday lunches every other week/happy hours, flexibility to work from home occasionally -Encouragement on certain teams for employees to branch out and learn new things to improve your skills -Annual company work trip for all employees -Work/life balance was good (though this varied by team) -Great salary/benefits package

Cons

-Direction/focus was constantly changing -Set up certain teams for failure by launching products too early -Became unnecessarily top-heavy -No matching 401K -Certain departments were not seen as important as others -Did not encourage promotions in terms of title: "titles don't matter"

16 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fast paced and growing company!

May 27, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Plenty of career development and learning opportunities; the company reimburses classes you may want to take -Senior leadership that truly values each employee and will be on the front lines with you -Strong culture with free Friday lunches and happy hours; there's free beer and lots of free swag like T-shirts and hats -Everyone here works hard, is motivated, and great team players -The work you do really makes an impact on the company; everyone here touches and influences revenue -Unlimited PTO and flexibility in working from home

Cons

-No 401k match, but other benefits (i.e. healthcare) are there -Sometimes there are many competing priorities that are difficult to balance, creating long hours

3 people found this review helpful

Whitepages Response

Recruiter

Thank you for your review. We believe that our culture promotes a strong community at Whitepages and our leadership team has continued to place an emphasis on building a positive culture. We hope that Whitepages will be able to help you grow in your career for years to come.

8. 5.0

Great Team - Great Product - Great Opportunity - Great Culture

Oct 3, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

***This review is from the B2B "Pro" side of the company*** - The Product(data): Whitepages Pro offers a unique solution with not a ton of competitors. In the year I have been here, the company has added some very impressive customers. - The People: Whitepages has built a small group of talented, driven, and friendly people. -The Culture: Snacks, Booze, Ping Pong Table, Company Retreat, Happy Hours, Open Office, Bean Bags, Casual Atmosphere, Etc. -The Opportunity: The company is growing and you have a chance to grow with it.

Cons

- No 401K Matching - It sometimes feels like there is a division between the Consumer team and the B2B team

9. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Best of big and small company culture - leave Silicon Valley and come to Seattle!

Feb 13, 2015 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I left Silicon Valley for this internship and couldn't have been happier with the choice. I applied after going a party at Whitepages with a current employee and good friend. The people here were (and are) great and I felt comfortable with literally everyone I met, something I can't say is true for most software companies. As far as internships go, this was probably the most fun and nuturing one I've had as well as the most stressful - but in a good way! It seemed like every intern got a concrete and interesting project to work on. I worked with the fairly small Pro team, for business-facing services. Most of the Pro Engineering team actually works in Hungary, but I worked with a small team in the Seattle office. Initially my intern project was a fairly small (read: doable in a summer) Ruby service. That got turned around the week before I arrived, and my project changed into a much larger Scala service to be jointly worked on with other full-time engineers. Being completely new to both Scala and functional programming, I definitely learned a ton during the internship about different styles and better code design as well as a new and increasingly popular language, which is always a plus. Additionally, I was very impressed by the mentorship and the general treatment of interns as basically short-term full-time engineers. Everyone at the company works hard and is very, very good at what they do. It's very refreshing to feel like you can learn so much from the people you work with. What's even better is that all these smart people are super helpful and willing to discuss your work or attend numerous code reviews. In terms of more official management, I was assigned a mentor to work day-to-day and a higher-up manager. My mentor was very attentive and great at encouraging me to work on my own while still providing enough guidance so I could grow. Even with a full team of engineers to take care of, my manager put the effort into meeting individually with every engineer and intern on the team to discuss any concerns about project direction or my mentor. Both also offered career advice and guidance about how to best show I deserved an offer, something that I felt really set this internship apart from previous ones. The internship was clearly intended for personal growth - even if I eventually didn't go with Whitepages, they gave us the opportunities to make connections and learn future career skills. We had regular check-ins with both managers and HR/recruiting about how the internship was going and even got to have coffee chats with the CEO, CTO, and CFO to ask anything we wanted. Overall I felt very well taken care of. But enough about work - let's talk about play! Work balance was excellent - the cultural idea of "overworked people are less efficient". The offices are fairly new and equipment is easy to get. There's a a well-stocked kitchen, kegerator with rotating local brews, and and upper-end bar worthy alcohol display. Compensation for the internship as well as my full-time offer was comparable and in some cases even more than larger companies in the area and around the Bay. We had regular company or team lunches and happy hours, as well as internship events including Whiffleball, a brusing but fun experience in bumpercart sports, and mini-golf with beer. I really enjoyed the experience and was very excited to receive an offer. I accepted and will be starting soon! tl;dr: Excellent mentorship, learned a ton even with a slightly rough start, especially in terms of practical software design. Great company perks with lots of fun. Beer. As hoped, I was offered a job and accepted.

Cons

I had a rough start at the beginning of my internship with both the scope of the project and learning a fairly different style of programming. My mentor was a bit busy initially and the project scope had changed enough to be a bit disorganized, so I flailed a bit initially. However, I was grateful to get the chance to work with such a big and important project and I got much more mentorship and structure after the initial part, so it's probably because of the rare last minute pivot to a big project rather than a common internship theme.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Culture, Great People, Headed in the right direction.

Aug 28, 2014 - Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance. They seem to promote from inside. Unlimited time-off. Kegerator in the office and plenty of snacks, stand-up desks. Happy hours and Friday Lunches. Good people who are easy to work with throughout the company. Excellent Benefits Flat Hierarchy

Cons

None so far. Seems like a good company with it's head screwed on straight. The only thing that could be improved is some delays in the hiring and interview process.

2 people found this review helpful