KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Is this your company?

Add a Review

Whitepages Employee Reviews about "whitepages"

Updated Apr 15, 2020

Found 63 of over 150 reviews

4.4
Whitepages CEO Leigh McMillan (no image)
Leigh McMillan
Pros
  • "Whitepages is a small company with great benefits and good pay(in 55 reviews)

• "Good work-life balance and opportunities to grow your career(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If you want to be a miniscule cog in a monstrous machine, Whitepages is not for you(in 20 reviews)

• "Although we have great benefits and employer HSA contributions, Whitepages does not do 401k matching(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Current Employee, more than 10 years

A Great Place to Work and Grow

Apr 15, 2020 - Vice President Advertising Operations in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Whitepages is a small company with great benefits and good pay. Our management is exceedingly transparent with bi-weekly updates on all aspects of the business. Our employees are highly competent, hard working and fun to be around. Because we are such a small company, you will have the opportunity to grow your career in almost any direction you choose. And you will struggle to be bored because we have so much to do.

Cons

If you want to be a miniscule cog in a monstrous machine, Whitepages is not for you. You will have significant autonomy to do your job without bureaucratic overhead; So you will need self discipline and drive to succeed. We have a lot to do and never enough time and people to do it. You will be busy working here.

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your insight on the company. Having been with Whitepages for such a long time, we appreciate your service and wish you continued success!

2. 4.0

Apr 14, 2020 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working in Whitepages Full-time for a little less than 6 months. Transparent leadership, management is aware of their goals and upcoming roadmaps and planning ahead with the market changes. Great opportunity to work with a diverse team and a smart group of people. Good work-life balance and opportunities to grow your career. Since its a small company, it gives you the opportunity to contribute and have ownership of your work. Employee benefits are pretty good and management takes good care of the employees.

Cons

Although Whitepages offers great benefits and employer HSA contributions, Whitepages does not do 401k matching. Being part of small companies you have to wear multiple hats which can be challenging at times to fulfill different responsiblities. Managing the workload is the biggest challenge.

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback and insight as a software engineer and the makeup of the teams. We appreciate you hard work and dedication to getting the job done.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing office environment and coworkers

Mar 20, 2020 - Product Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great location and office environment - any time I had a friend or family in the office, they were impressed. Great culture of coworkers that encourage a work+life balance, and support diversity and different view points. From a business standpoint, the senior leadership looks ahead to business trends to ensure that the business will remain viable and adapt to market needs. Great internal mobility too - managers find a way to help people grow and exercise new skills. I'm sad to leave this team, and would happily recommend it to others.

Cons

Not a con, but something to be mindful of: the product is focused around personal data, which can be a sensitive topic. With that said, I've never seen any coworkers mishandle this data, and they've always treated it with the respect deserved. Markets dealing with personal data are in a delicate state right now, but Whitepages is truly sticking to their motto of "data for good" and finding ways to support consumers in the rapidly changing world.

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We’re glad that our commitment to using data for good is resonating with you and we will continue to focus on consumer's needs with this in mind. Hearing the positive feedback around employee mobility and growth is very welcome, too. As you’re aware this has been a focus of ours since the Ekata spin-off and will continue to be as we move forward. Best of luck as you embark on your new journey.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great leadership, company culture, and flexible work-life balance

Mar 16, 2020 - Growth Marketing Specialist in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Transparent leadership, great company culture, and flexible work-life balance. Being part of a small team (30ish employees) gives you the opportunity to contribute and have ownership of your work. You get to work with several other employees, and learn a lot about each part of the business. With big company goals, there is always something to work for and look forward to.

Cons

Although we have great benefits and employer HSA contributions, Whitepages does not do 401k matching.

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We’re pleased to hear that your experience has been positive and you’re learning about the business as a whole. Allowing employees to have ownership and learn from each other, as well as being able to impact our company goals is the culture we are striving to achieve. As a small organization, we have looked at how to best use funds designated toward our benefits, and though we currently don’t have a 401k match, in addition to an employer contribution to our employee’s HSA accounts, all employees participate in our bonus program based on company goals. We’ve structured the plan to allow these bonus payments to be 401k eligible, so employees can defer some of these funds for retirement if desired. We continuously evaluate our benefit offerings and appreciate your feedback as we look toward the next year. Thank you for your contributions and we're here to support your continued success!

5. 5.0

Healthy work environment & culture

Aug 29, 2019 - Marketing Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at Whitepages close to a year now, and I can honestly say that it is the healthiest work environment I've ever been a part of. Although the company is relatively small, and there's a lot to get done, leadership promotes healthy work/life balance, and understands that not everything can be done at once. For a team of this size, Whitepages has a lot of incredibly talented folks. The company as a whole is is full of collaborative, fun people, and it's apparent that we all genuinely enjoy working together. The diversity here is unlike anything I've ever seen for a company this size. Whitepages leadership/recruiting doesn't just talk the talk - they actually walk the walk when it comes to recruiting/hiring people from all different walks of life. It's very refreshing. For a not-so-sexy product, I've thoroughly enjoyed a lot of the projects I've worked on (more so than I expected, to be honest). Every employee is encouraged to take ownership of their projects, get creative, and push back when they feel strongly about something. There's a lot of transparency within the company. It's easy to see how your work impacts the business. The company pays competitively and offers a lot of perks (free snacks, drinks, HH, Friday lunches, good insurance, solid bonus structure, etc.) Whitepages genuinely values their employees. Leadership cares about every person here not only as an employee, but as a person. They make that apparent in how they handle career development & personal goals, health/benefits, etc.

Cons

Data aggregation isn't sexy, plain and simple. It takes a little bit of time to get used to people giving you a funny look when you tell them you work at Whitepages. However for most, that's easy to move beyond. Small company = lots of hats to wear. Every employee is expected to juggle a wide array of projects and tasks, and it can become overwhelming at times. Thankfully, leadership is aware of this, and they make a point to promote an open door policy so that you can speak up if you're feeling swamped. Resources can be scarce, and it can be tough to get things done quickly. This is something leadership is aware of, but it's an obvious pain point that the company is still working through.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to grow!

Aug 29, 2019 - Designer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Whitepages is a great place if you're looking to make a direct impact with your work and grow your career. We have a great new group of leadership who encourage and empower us to pursue new opportunities in our respective fields. - I don't feel the need to tiptoe or beat around the bush with my manager, we are very direct and open. My manager also treats me like a person, not just an employee. They are very understanding that life happens and the work/life balance is the best I've ever seen at a company. - Whitepages doesn't stand still or become complacent. We are always looking forward and it continues to be an exciting place to work. - The overall culture feels more like family/good pals versus co-workers. Employees go out to lunch together, happy hour, etc. Everyone is just so friendly and welcoming. - We have the most diverse group of employees, especially for such a small bunch. - There are a lot of the typical tech company perks such as snacks, lots of drink options, events, happy hours, lunches, stand-up desks, etc.

Cons

I completely understand the pros of hiring new grads, but we need some more mid/manager level engineers to mentor these youngins.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company and fit for most

Aug 13, 2019 - Product in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been fortunate to have had a career that has spanned the extremes of business from large corporations all the way to a family business. And, there are Pros and Cons to working in a large corporation as well as a family business. At a larger corporation, you can focus on developing a specific skill set, but you have less ownership and ability to impact the business. While at a family business, your sense of ownership is huge, and your decisions impact the business on a day-to-day basis. But, you're spread thin, and your responsibilities extend across the entire business. Depending on your personality and career goals one size company may better suit you than another. Whitepages sits in the middle - an established successful, evolving, and growing business with a startup feel. I’ve worked at Whitepages for more than 5 years and I can attest to the ever evolving business and product offerings to satisfy customer demands and needs. When I started, we had just released our first B2B product. Years later, there have been acquisitions, spin-offs, failed products, and new products released. But, most importantly, there has been continued success. Whitepages is far from a business on cruise control. Although, the business was established in 1997, every year brings new challenges and growth opportunities. Whitepages.com is a top website attracting millions of users every month with various needs and wants that are always evolving. Identifying and meeting these customer needs requires a team of high-talent engineers, marketers, product thinkers, operations professionals, leaders, and leadership. It’s a full team effort. If you’re looking for: - Ownership and the ability to impact the business immediately - Rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty - Working for a smaller company and wearing multiple hats - Taking the lead, collaborating, and driving successful change - Creatively solving problems, growing, and building new products in the ever evolving technology industry - Leaving bureaucracy, drama, and ego at the door - Stepping up and proving what you can do Whitepages is the place for you whether you’re starting your career or hitting your stride. I’ve been fortunate to have held multiple job titles here at Whitepages, and I continue to expand and grow my career and talents.

Cons

- It’s not a 9 to 5 job; it’s a small company with large ambitions - Not everyone thinks data is sexy - Everyday brings new challenges; you must be flexible and adapt - Taking risks and making big decisions is stressful - It takes work; success isn’t easy

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Aug 14, 2019 - Site Reliability Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been with Whitepages for 3 years, seven months now and when I look back on all the major events, I can mentally point out where I had a valued impact on Whitepage's success. When you work at Whitepages, you have the opportunity have a lasting legacy that you can proudly look back on and grow from.

Cons

Small companies tend to require stepping out of your normal role to take on more responsibility. The biggest challenge is managing your workload.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Exciting place to work

Aug 8, 2019 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Whitepages has about 30 employees, which means it is small enough that everyone knows what is going on. The culture set by management is great - employees are given authority, tools and responsibly to get things done. There is little or no "politics". The whole company emphases openness (regular all hands where financial & business results are shared) & collaboration (people work together to solve problems, often across different disciplines). There is plenty of opportunity to learn about new stuff. The overall feel is a bit like a startup (despite being 20+ years old), but just the good parts of a startup: freedom, responsibility, attitude, openness, clever people, work hard and get rewarded. The physical space is great and reflects the culture: open plan, sit/stand desks, no offices (even for the CEO) so everyone is accessible. But at the same time, it is a work environment, there is not too much noise. In one of the best locations in downtown Seattle with easy access to transit & lots of food trucks and restaurants.

Cons

Whitepages has a good strategic vision and is not constantly changing direction (unlike some other "startup"-like companies), but sometimes these get interrupted to react to something that is happening in the marketplace. Benefits are very good, but can be communicated poorly (e.g. the "unlimited vacation" which is not truly unlimited).

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Senior Accountant

Oct 3, 2018 - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Whitepages hires the best people. Not only from a technical capabilities standpoint but people who are enjoyable to be around. Small teams give give everyone the opportunity to follow through on our corporate values of owning projects and seeing them through. Just a great place to show up to work every day.

Cons

Small focused teams don't always allow for unstructured time and side projects.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 63 Reviews