KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Is this your company?

Add a Review

Whitepages Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Apr 14, 2020

Found 24 of over 150 reviews

4.4
Whitepages CEO Leigh McMillan (no image)
Leigh McMillan
Pros
  • "Whitepages is a small company with great benefits and good pay(in 55 reviews)

• "Good work-life balance and opportunities to grow your career(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If you want to be a miniscule cog in a monstrous machine, Whitepages is not for you(in 20 reviews)

• "Although we have great benefits and employer HSA contributions, Whitepages does not do 401k matching(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Join the conversation on

Tech

1y

a

Sales Engineer

313 Comments

Join the conversation on

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing office environment and coworkers

Mar 20, 2020 - Product Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great location and office environment - any time I had a friend or family in the office, they were impressed. Great culture of coworkers that encourage a work+life balance, and support diversity and different view points. From a business standpoint, the senior leadership looks ahead to business trends to ensure that the business will remain viable and adapt to market needs. Great internal mobility too - managers find a way to help people grow and exercise new skills. I'm sad to leave this team, and would happily recommend it to others.

Cons

Not a con, but something to be mindful of: the product is focused around personal data, which can be a sensitive topic. With that said, I've never seen any coworkers mishandle this data, and they've always treated it with the respect deserved. Markets dealing with personal data are in a delicate state right now, but Whitepages is truly sticking to their motto of "data for good" and finding ways to support consumers in the rapidly changing world.

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We’re glad that our commitment to using data for good is resonating with you and we will continue to focus on consumer's needs with this in mind. Hearing the positive feedback around employee mobility and growth is very welcome, too. As you’re aware this has been a focus of ours since the Ekata spin-off and will continue to be as we move forward. Best of luck as you embark on your new journey.

2. 4.0

Apr 14, 2020 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working in Whitepages Full-time for a little less than 6 months. Transparent leadership, management is aware of their goals and upcoming roadmaps and planning ahead with the market changes. Great opportunity to work with a diverse team and a smart group of people. Good work-life balance and opportunities to grow your career. Since its a small company, it gives you the opportunity to contribute and have ownership of your work. Employee benefits are pretty good and management takes good care of the employees.

Cons

Although Whitepages offers great benefits and employer HSA contributions, Whitepages does not do 401k matching. Being part of small companies you have to wear multiple hats which can be challenging at times to fulfill different responsiblities. Managing the workload is the biggest challenge.

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback and insight as a software engineer and the makeup of the teams. We appreciate you hard work and dedication to getting the job done.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great leadership, company culture, and flexible work-life balance

Mar 16, 2020 - Growth Marketing Specialist in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Transparent leadership, great company culture, and flexible work-life balance. Being part of a small team (30ish employees) gives you the opportunity to contribute and have ownership of your work. You get to work with several other employees, and learn a lot about each part of the business. With big company goals, there is always something to work for and look forward to.

Cons

Although we have great benefits and employer HSA contributions, Whitepages does not do 401k matching.

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We’re pleased to hear that your experience has been positive and you’re learning about the business as a whole. Allowing employees to have ownership and learn from each other, as well as being able to impact our company goals is the culture we are striving to achieve. As a small organization, we have looked at how to best use funds designated toward our benefits, and though we currently don’t have a 401k match, in addition to an employer contribution to our employee’s HSA accounts, all employees participate in our bonus program based on company goals. We’ve structured the plan to allow these bonus payments to be 401k eligible, so employees can defer some of these funds for retirement if desired. We continuously evaluate our benefit offerings and appreciate your feedback as we look toward the next year. Thank you for your contributions and we're here to support your continued success!

4. 5.0

Healthy work environment & culture

Aug 29, 2019 - Marketing Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at Whitepages close to a year now, and I can honestly say that it is the healthiest work environment I've ever been a part of. Although the company is relatively small, and there's a lot to get done, leadership promotes healthy work/life balance, and understands that not everything can be done at once. For a team of this size, Whitepages has a lot of incredibly talented folks. The company as a whole is is full of collaborative, fun people, and it's apparent that we all genuinely enjoy working together. The diversity here is unlike anything I've ever seen for a company this size. Whitepages leadership/recruiting doesn't just talk the talk - they actually walk the walk when it comes to recruiting/hiring people from all different walks of life. It's very refreshing. For a not-so-sexy product, I've thoroughly enjoyed a lot of the projects I've worked on (more so than I expected, to be honest). Every employee is encouraged to take ownership of their projects, get creative, and push back when they feel strongly about something. There's a lot of transparency within the company. It's easy to see how your work impacts the business. The company pays competitively and offers a lot of perks (free snacks, drinks, HH, Friday lunches, good insurance, solid bonus structure, etc.) Whitepages genuinely values their employees. Leadership cares about every person here not only as an employee, but as a person. They make that apparent in how they handle career development & personal goals, health/benefits, etc.

Cons

Data aggregation isn't sexy, plain and simple. It takes a little bit of time to get used to people giving you a funny look when you tell them you work at Whitepages. However for most, that's easy to move beyond. Small company = lots of hats to wear. Every employee is expected to juggle a wide array of projects and tasks, and it can become overwhelming at times. Thankfully, leadership is aware of this, and they make a point to promote an open door policy so that you can speak up if you're feeling swamped. Resources can be scarce, and it can be tough to get things done quickly. This is something leadership is aware of, but it's an obvious pain point that the company is still working through.

5. 5.0

Great place to grow!

Aug 29, 2019 - Designer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Whitepages is a great place if you're looking to make a direct impact with your work and grow your career. We have a great new group of leadership who encourage and empower us to pursue new opportunities in our respective fields. - I don't feel the need to tiptoe or beat around the bush with my manager, we are very direct and open. My manager also treats me like a person, not just an employee. They are very understanding that life happens and the work/life balance is the best I've ever seen at a company. - Whitepages doesn't stand still or become complacent. We are always looking forward and it continues to be an exciting place to work. - The overall culture feels more like family/good pals versus co-workers. Employees go out to lunch together, happy hour, etc. Everyone is just so friendly and welcoming. - We have the most diverse group of employees, especially for such a small bunch. - There are a lot of the typical tech company perks such as snacks, lots of drink options, events, happy hours, lunches, stand-up desks, etc.

Cons

I completely understand the pros of hiring new grads, but we need some more mid/manager level engineers to mentor these youngins.

6. 5.0

Whitepages Cares for their Employees

Aug 21, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with Whitepages for almost two years now, working as a manager across multiple teams. I've been incredibly impressed with the senior leadership and HR team, especially how they help employees to succeed. All managers here are empowered by senior leadership to find growth opportunities for their employees, ensuring that they have steady development. Whitepages recognizes hard work, and will be supportive towards helping employees reach their career goals. Stagnation is never a concern when working here. Whitepages also recognizes that a work/life balance is important. In addition to great vacation and health care benefits, HR ensures that employees are aware of other assistance programs. It feels wonderful when a company appreciates you as a person; I know that Whitepages had my back, and that they are mindful of my quality of life. Lastly, I appreciate that senior leadership provides a lot of visibility into business health. When a group has more knowledge, they'll be better equipped to make the right decisions. Thanks to this transparency, teams are able to operate efficiently, and everyone knows the importance of their contributions.

Cons

As with any organization with multiple business units, information can become silo'd. Whitepages actually does a great job of handling this: we have at least two all-hands meetings each month where we get insight into recent initiatives. The CEO keeps everyone current with a weekly summary for each unit. In-house and off-site events merge teams together for brainstorming and fun. Whitepages does very well with cross pollination, and it should be a continued area of focus. There are a lot of very intelligent people at Whitepages, and the more that we distribute that knowledge, the better off everyone will be.

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A confused company

Aug 31, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

* The nicest people I've ever worked with. I don't have a single bad thing to say about any of my former coworkers. * Really interesting people. * Fantastic work-life balance. * Unlimited PTO. Salaried employees don't have to worry about if they've been sick enough times. * Higher salaries than many other companies in the area.

Cons

* Constantly changing direction. There are way too many times where we've committed to a decision, then changed it within a month. It can make it feel like a lot of your work isn't going to last, which can be demotivating. * Unrealistic expectations, and refusal to hear why expectations are unrealistic * Nonexistent mentorship and lack of support. I found it very hard to adjust because I felt like I had no one to ask for advice from Day 1. * High employee turnover. Random layoffs are the norm, regardless of how important you currently are to the organization. In my tenure at Whitepages almost every friend I had there was laid off or quit within a few months. * Perks have been watered down significantly over time. * Blame culture. If something goes wrong, it is always the employee's fault. No one will ever look at the underlying process.

6 people found this review helpful

Recruiter

Thanks for providing your feedback regarding your experience at Whitepages. We recognize that our culture is fast moving and to remain relevant as a leader in the digital identity verification space, we often must take risks and make quick business decisions to avoid being beat to the finish line. Though we have been around for 20 years, we very much operate with a start-up mentality and understand that it isn’t a good fit for everyone. It’s unfortunate that your experience was not positive overall, but hope that we provided some value and learning that you can take with you to your next role. Best of luck with your next role.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent! I love this company!

Sep 28, 2017 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Everyone is friendly and helpful. No office politics. The CEO Rob's desk is among other employees'. - Good work/life balance - Good office management! - Team events such as kayaking and room escape. - Among five IT company's job offers, I chose Whitepages. - With the ORCA card provided by the company, I pay almost zero for the daily commute. - Hackathon!!! My manager encouraged me to join the hackathon even when there were a lot of normal work to do. Non-tech people were also encouraged to join.

Cons

- Can't think of any except not matching 401k.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing office environment and work culture

Jul 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- People here are very pleasant and incredibly diverse. Discussion between teams is highly encouraged - Workloads can be challenging, and equally fulfilling. There is plenty of support from management and peers - Genuinely strives to do good by its customers. Identity data is a delicate business, but given multiple options, Whitepages management makes the right decisions - Respects work / life balance. In my role I have to sometimes handle something when not at work, but it never borders on the annoying - Excellent office environment, in both amenities and events. I really appreciate the all-hands where we peek into other business operations - I've never had to question my performance; management is quick to praise, and quick to correct behaviors as needed - My compensation makes me feel valued and appreciated

Cons

- May lack the structure and protocol of larger companies. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it required some adjusting to get used to a 'start-up' environment - There's a focus on speed in the office - if not managed well, it can muddle objectives and results. Speed is great for getting a product into a live environment, but doing too many things at once can sometimes be detrimental

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for

May 6, 2017 - Product in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Whitepages has several top-notch people and good collaborative work culture. As a junior/middle manager, I get responsibility and enjoy working with a great team. We enjoy very good work-life balance in the Seattle office, and the office amenities are awesome.

Cons

I like the leadership team, except when they micromanage a lot. Rob, our CEO, tends to give prescriptive instructions and keeps changing direction. Maybe he does not trust his LT, who IMHO are really competent? He is a very good public speaker and friendly person, but it would be so much better if he did not micromanage.

5 people found this review helpful