Whiting-Turner Reviews in Baltimore, MD | Glassdoor

2.9
Timothy Regan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours can be tough, working weekends became normal (in 35 reviews)

• Very fast paced company that depending on certain jobs can lead to a crazy work life balance (in 13 reviews)

"Whiting Turner"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Whiting-Turner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of pros about Whiting-Turner. They are very loyal to their workers and provide great benefits. The company promotes from within and truly cares about the wellbeing of their workers. They instill a lot of leadership, responsibility, and trust in their employees.

Cons

Although the company is run by small groups, it is a large company and there are some negatives to that. Sometimes it is hard to get a hold of a department, if it is responsible for the entire WT company rather than just a branch. The work is hard and inconsistent, some days you may be there for 7 hours while others are more like 12 hours.

Advice to Management

The one thing about Whiting Turner that is fantastic is that they always promote within. Not only does that mean your superiors have been where you are and understand, but it also means if you put in the effort and work you have a good chance of advancing quickly.

2. "Whiting-Turner Review"

Former Contractor - Database Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Former Contractor - Database Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, very friendly and willingness to assist if needed. Weekly meeting to track the progress of the project. As a contract employee, I was paid fair.

Cons

We worked out of a trailer in the middle of the winter. It was extremely cold at times. We dealt with frozen pipes often. Several times we would have to travel inside the facility just to use the restrooms.

3. "A good launchpad"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Whiting-Turner (More than a year)

Pros

Great advancement opportunities and project opportunities

Cons

Long hours, heavy travel and mileage based on what group you get hired into (luck)

Advice to Management

Give the VPs more power within their operating groups

"Know Your Priorities"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The medical benefits are Whiting-Turner are amazing IF you are SINGLE. You have 0 deductible and 0 dollars contributed and can go to practically any doctor on the BlueCross Blue Shield plan. If married or with children, the price price jumps to 100-200 dollars per pay period. The travel compensation is great depending on your VP. Some will be cheap about it. The policy is not consistent on how they enforce the travel home.

Cons

The travel SUCKS if you are in a relationship. There's no dental and vision. They give you 25 dollars each pay period to compensate but it's not enough. The culture is sure fraternity like. Some people are more willing to teach you than others. You only get 10 vacation days and some people don't care when you have other commitments outside of work.

Advice to Management

Create better work life balance for your employees.

5. "Learned A Lot - Got You Hands On Experience"

Former Intern - Intern in Towson, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Towson, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a coop student for Whiting Turner out of their Towson, MD office. Got lots of hands on experience at the job site. Learned a lot and really helped me to decide on my career path.

Cons

Used little knowledge from my mechanical engineering degree. Mostly approving contractor change orders and verifying that contractors built the building per design drawings. Very repetitive.

6. "Management Needs Improvement"

Former Employee - A/P Processor in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - A/P Processor in Towson, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was given several special projects and duties which allowed me to demonstration my Excel and IT skills.

Cons

Regular duties were dull and repetitive. Poor training. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Recognize the skills and intelligence in your employees. Despite having the same job title, don't treat employees with 22 years of experience the same as 22-year-olds.

7. "Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Large Company with great benefits. The project has a large staff and has a family oriented environment. No one person is expected to run the project by themselves.

Cons

You are likely to travel outside of your state for a project. This my be a conflict if you have a family with kids.

8. "Assistant Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good job security, the experience you receive is priceless. It puts you ahead of the curve with the diverse experience you recieve.

Cons

Extremely long work hours, which goes unappreciated a lot of the time. Out of town subsistence only benefits employees that have been with the company for a while, married, or own a home.

Advice to Management

Take more consideration for employees family/personal lives. Working 70-80 hours a week (including travel time if you have to commute to the DC area) is OK, but it shouldn't be a year round thing...every ear.

9. "Large company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner (More than 10 years)

Pros

They provide valuable learning experiences that can be difficult to find else where right out of college. Pay has recently become competitive now that their backlog has reached the 12 month mark.

Cons

Long commutes, limited upward movement, long hours and weekends. Favoritism is displayed towards "family" employees.

Advice to Management

Top level management is stellar, mid to upper level managers are frequently but not always arrogant. This is preventing company growth thru increasing sales of projects and recruiting good talent.

10. "Great People, Awful Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Whiting-Turner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great, I always feel like I have the support of the company and nothing gives you the freedom throughout the day of being the GC on a jobsite.

Cons

Work-life balance can get awful. If the project isn't making a ton of money and you are drowning in work upper management doesn't see that and give you help to make sure you the employee are still happy, they just look at the profit and efficiency.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people, go to great lengths to take care of them. They will do everything for you if they feel like you are taking care of them. Right now I don't.