Whiting-Turner Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Timothy Regan

Pros
  • Excellent job security, great benefits, feels like a small time firm (in 18 reviews)

• They provide pretty good benefits as well as project bonuses (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes there are very long hours necessary (in 30 reviews)

• the work/life balance could be better (in 9 reviews)

1. "Day to Day at WT"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Whiting-Turner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The entrepreneurial spirit drives Whiting-Turner. The company is not broken into departments like a typical GC. With no precon/estimating/accounting/closeout department the PM is immersed in every part of the process. The training is sufficient, but if you'll be expected to take a project from conception to close out.

Cons

You have to fit the culture. Being able to make a decision and learn from mistakes is a hallmark trait of the best Whiting-Turner PMs. You're going to be throw in the deep end.

Advice to Management

Provide more time off right off the bat. Start new PE's at (3) weeks and provide an additional week at (5) years. The next generation of managers is looking for a better work life balance.

2. "Great company. Lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Whiting-Turner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No shortage of work. Plenty of opportunity to grow if motivated. Promote from within.

Cons

Advancing in company requires time, not necessarily skill.

Advice to Management

Evaluate employees more often to allow management to understand employees strengths and weaknesses.

3. "Great Company, Great People, Great Career"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Whiting-Turner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Whiting-Turner is a large company with a small company feel. The company culture is such that each individual can direct their own future. From promotions to job location very little limits you. Whiting-Turner has leadership that leads by example, cares about their employees, and wants everyone to excel in all they do.

Cons

Typical of the construction industry, the cons of Whiting-Turner are long hours, but Whiting-Turner makes up for this with time off between projects.

"Internship experience"

Former Employee - Construction Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Construction Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Whiting-Turner (Less than a year)

Pros

Got an opportunity to work on the huge project, hands-on experience. Very good communication overall during the internship period.

Cons

travelling to the job sites is cumbersome sometime

5. "You need to take this seriously"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Whiting-Turner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transformative personal growth. Come here to learn. If you love construction, there is no better place. Those who came to work, who take their passion for construction serious, will feel welcomed into the family for many years and rewarded for their hard work. They are are accommodating to family needs

Cons

If this is just a 'job' for you, don't even bother. My hours are long because I want the project to succeed, not because anyone forces me. The workload is intense because construction at this scale, at this level isn't easy. If you're not ready to play in the majors, don't bother applying.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. "Management Needs Improvement"

Former Employee - A/P Processor in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - A/P Processor in Towson, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was given several special projects and duties which allowed me to demonstration my Excel and IT skills.

Cons

Regular duties were dull and repetitive. Poor training. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Recognize the skills and intelligence in your employees. Despite having the same job title, don't treat employees with 22 years of experience the same as 22-year-olds.

7. "Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Whiting-Turner part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I performed both Office Engineer and Field Engineer duties while I was an intern. It was great experience that helped me to find work with another employer.

Cons

My training was very minimal. They expected me to perform the duties of a full time salaried position while making $10/hour and having had very little training.

Advice to Management

Invest time in training, and you'll get more value out of your internship program.

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Allentown, PA

Pros

Good group of people to work with. Enjoyed the day to day tasks that were assigned to me. Hopefully ill be hired full-time

Cons

Some poor subcontractors hired by WT

9. "Summer Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Greenbelt, MD

Pros

Great and happy coworkers, relaxed atmosphere, good opportunity to grow within the company, definitely feel valued as an employee

Cons

Only promotes from within, which is advantageous for those committed to the company

10. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Lead Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Whiting-Turner full-time

Pros

Whiting-Turner is a USA top 10 national builder. At WT you'll punch your ticket. This firm hires talented professionals and tremendous latitude is given to capable professionals. A major plus is the unique business structure of this firm; as in, no traditional estimating or preconstruction departments. What does that mean for you? Holistic training and invaluable skill sets. The mantra at WT is 'golden hand cuffs'. They're privately owned. You are best served to land yourself in the inner circle, where stocks and opportunities exists. You do this, and you're cool. You are a QB or a down lineman. There's no in between. It's up or out. Great firm. High bar.

Cons

Though WT will rock that resume for you, if you play your cards right, and open doors (as it should, you will be rigorously prepared to work anywhere in construction management) in industry, there's little in the way of structure, mentoring, and discipline. The culture is a bro culture. These are people that think SLO is Ivy. LOL. No. With family out of schools like Princeton, Stanford, USC, Berkeley, UCLA in engineering, law, tech, real estate I know many humble successful self-made millionaires. These folks feign humility. You may find yourself hassling with politics and petty issues that any normal firm's HR would never allow. It's the wild west. But, with that said, who cares? Your futures bright. It's top 10. You will learn a tremendous amount, and quite frankly, adversity builds character. You're stronger for your troubles. I'd do it all again, and I'd leave again. 100%. There are a few self-serving tools, but the majority are highly competent work crushing studs.

Advice to Management

Billy Beane didn't win the last game of the season.