Whiting's Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Team Member"

Former Employee - Team Member in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Whiting's Foods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great coworkers
    - great first job, cash handling, customer service and food service are all taught
    -plenty of experiences to take with you for future jobs

Cons

-rush hours can be intense
    -time off requests are two weeks in advance

2. "Part-time employee"

Former Employee - Concessions
    Former Employee - Concessions

I worked at Whiting's Foods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job experience
    Will hire people with no experience
    Offers a lot of opportunities for advancement (shift leads, etc)
    Flexible scheduling system that allows you to switch shifts and pick up extra shifts easily
    Majority of your coworkers are in young/my age at the time (I was in high school)
    You get scheduled at different locations so you aren't always stuck at the same place

Cons

Honestly I don't have any issues with management or the company. I just didn't love the customer service work that goes along with working at an amusement park. Particularly on slow days when you are working alone at a stand it can get pretty boring.
    Minimum wage (but that's to be expected)

3. "Sexist, racist, homophobic white-ings"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Whiting's Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers can make things fun. Free rides whenever, and discounts on boardwalk stuff.

Cons

Management deals with harrassment accusations as a joke, especially if its someone in the "family." If someone in management doesnt like you, they will make up a reason to fire you, even with their points system.
    Also, men are heavily favored by all of the whitings. One servicing guy got an underage employee pregnant with no repercussions. Underage girls, please be careful, this company is full of creepy men.

LGBTQ presenting people will also be reprimanded for haircuts, wardrobe, and will be fired if they dont fall in line.
    I also was often reminded to watch our "suspicious" (aka brown) employees by them. They also won't allow any non-white people to work with their money(at least they didnt then).
    They also follow sexist guidelines, like putting only girls in cotton candy stores, and only boys in burger shops or whatever.

Basically it was the worst.

Advice to Management

Stop being such horrible white people, actually hold the men in your company for the harrassment they do, actually follow health codes insteas of just forcing employees to clean frantically the day before the health inspector arrives.

4. "Fun for the first summer but goes downhill after that"

Pros

nice to work by the beach
    pretty easy as far as register operations go
    easy to get shifts picked up

Cons

poor management/blatant favoritism
    sexual harassment from upper management
    homophobia and bigotry from one of the owners
    poor working conditions (i used to work in a cotton candy store and we didn't receive a fan until one of the girls fainted from the heat. keep in mind the days are already hot in the summer-- a cotton candy machine spewing heat at you all day does not help).

Advice to Management

stop promoting people who can't do their jobs correctly and promote the people who are genuinely working hard. stop scheduling people for 6 hour shifts when you really know they'll be there for 8 or 9

5. "Food prep"

I have been working at Whiting's Foods part-time

Pros

You get so much work experience in so many different food fields.

Cons

The management is kinda shaky but run sufficiently.

Advice to Management

Be more reasonable with employees also point systems don't work and just get hard workers fired.

"Great if you are white and christian"

I worked at Whiting's Foods (More than 3 years)

Pros

discount at stores on the boardwalk
    can have shifts picked up easily

Cons

creepy managers
    fire people who complain about management
    do not work if you are under age girl, servicing guys will try to sleep with you as a challenge
    pay is disgusting
    will make you work holidays
    berate you and harass you
    not reasonable at all when it comes to a second job
    sexist, racist, homophobic

Advice to Management

Stop sexually harassing the women who work there, and take the claims seriously

7. "Counter Sales"

Pros

Great first job! You meet a lot of people here. You'll eventually pick up the tasks within the first month working here.

Cons

Unavoidable but they schedule your hours the week before.

8. "Pretty ok for a minimum wage job"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Really great flexible hours. When I was there the shifts were easy to organize online so it was possible to kind of arrange to only work in the food places you liked.

Cons

There were so many employees that it was hard to get any kind of good relationship with the managers, especially if you work in different stores frequently.
    Also, there is a point system where if you're late or make a mistake or something you get a point and after a few points you have a disciplinary review. You can pick up shifts to get points off your record but the whole system is a little demeaning. I understand you need an easy to implement system like that when you have so many employees but I had a kind of bad experience with it since I was in a pretty bad car accident and it was too close to my next shift to trade with someone and I still got a point even though I brought proof from my doctor.

Advice to Management

Maybe allow for some points to be disregarded due to medical reasons? I know you cycle through lots of high school/college age employees but please try not to treat them like they're a dime-a-dozen (Or minimum wage-a-dozen)

9. "Store lead"

Current Employee - Store Lead in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Store Lead in Santa Cruz, CA

Pros

I love working for Whitings Foods. I have made lots of friends and everyone Is kind and very helpful.

Cons

It's a seasonl job but we also have the Kasier Arena that's also fun to work at.

10. "Fantastic Summer Job"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Whiting's Foods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work during the Summer. You gain tons of experience in handling cash, customers from all around the world, and working with other people. Your schedule is flexible and pretty much allows you to get time off as needed given you put in a 10 day advance notice. Scheduling is done online and is the easiest to keep track of. Working right next to the beach is also a plus. Management is also very down to earth, understanding, and very nice as long as you bring your A game. For this being my first job, it was definitely worth it.

Cons

Ensure you request major holidays off way in advance as there are blackout dates when you get closer. (typical for any job) Some of the people who end up being hired and even reach lead positions can make rather ridiculous choices.

Advice to Management

Work on picking out candidates having aspects outside of appearance, offer more clear and concise training for your younger crew, and keep up the family spirit.