Whitman Walker Clinic Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Donald Blanchon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Community Health"

Pros

Great environment and mission

Cons

parking was a hassle

2. "This Is a Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Whitman Walker Clinic full-time

Pros

WWH is a great place to work for people who like a social mission. They care about you as an employee, your colleagues are great and similarly committed people, and the work you'll be doing is important, giving you the opportunity to help others on a daily basis, often others who really need to help. This is also, generally, a weekday and business hours shop, and it's always nice not to have to work evenings or weekends.

Cons

My one knock on WWH and the reason I rate it 4 stars instead of 5 is the money. While the benefits are great, and you can earn a LOT of vacation time if you stick around, your salary will be on the low to medium end of competitive.

Advice to Management

I'd trade less vacation for more salary. Other than that, I'd say you're doing a great job of valuing and taking care of your employees. This is a place that I feel valued, and I really appreciate that.

3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Washington, DC

I worked at Whitman Walker Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management cares about you. benefits are far above most local non profit health centers in the area. Great advancement structure. Competitive pay.

Cons

Stressful work environment. In this type of work, it is hard to disconnect when you go home.

Advice to Management

Offer more fun activities so that work life balance works better.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Nurse
    Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at Whitman Walker Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meaningful mission, good collaboration among colleagues, generally good relationship between management and their employees. Great employee benefit plans.

Cons

Management is not very transparent or communicative at times. There is some elitism among the staff. Compensation could be higher, but the benefits are fantastic.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and communicative, with less polished rhetoric.

5. "Great Mission"

I worked at Whitman Walker Clinic full-time

Pros

People were patient about their work

Cons

Management was disorganized and didn't know what they were doing.

6. "Great overall work environment"

Pros

Very supportive, collaborative environment. I would definitely recommend working here.

Cons

Long work days that left me tired after two years.

"Mixed feelings"

Current Employee - Research Specialist
    Current Employee - Research Specialist

I have been working at Whitman Walker Clinic full-time

Pros

I enjoy that the clinic is such a strong fixture of public health within the DC community. As an employee here, I feel that I am apart of a cause that is bigger than myself and that the work that I do here really does a difference everyday. I also enjoy the amount of time off WWH gives to employees (they recently decided to give a full day off for Christmas and New Year's Eve).

Cons

I am not a fan of many of the management practices within my department (Research). Managers are not transparent with many of the decisions that directly affect the staff. Many times this leads to gossip between staff members and reinforces an unhealthy hierarchy. I feel that managers take advantage of the fact that many of the research specialists are recent college or grad school graduates and do not put much thought to the fact that there is also little room for advancement, low salaries, and constant miscommunication.

Advice to Management

Realize that you are working with highly skilled, competent people that work very hard to do their jobs everyday. Do not use your position/degree/years of experience as a reason talk down to someone or make someone feel that their skills, talents, personal goals are irrelevant at Whitman-Walker.

"The best health center to work for in DC."

I have been working at Whitman Walker Clinic full-time

Pros

You work with a passionate group of like-minded individuals who take their job seriously, but also appreciate a good work-life balance.

Cons

There are limitations in upward mobility depending on the department. In this way, some people are under-utilized and could be contributing to the health center in a greater way.

Advice to Management

Create more paths to leadership and/or innovation by giving employee's protected time to make the health center better.

"Love the mission, but not the leadership."

I worked at Whitman Walker Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WWC (Now WWH) is a tremendous resource in the community. They provide services that are not being offered anywhere else in the city.

Cons

Unethical business practices (like firing HIV+ staff before they could take LTD, and eliminating case management without adequately notifying clients); high turnover rate; a tendency of growing grant-funded programs without clear plans for sustainability once the grants ran out.

Advice to Management

Consider the culture you're creating with the current leadership style in place.

"Great benefits+work/life balance, OK salary, OK management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Whitman Walker Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great here, and I have better insurance/vacation time than many other comparable positions. The salary is competitive for the nonprofit sector in DC. The pace can be pretty fast at times, given the busy nature of the clinic. The work/life balance is outstanding--the work doesn't really follow you home or require you to stay too late too often.

Cons

There's a lot of human error involved in various cross-department communication. There are also wildly different standards of professionalism in the departments. The patients can be both great and incredibly difficult to deal with.

Advice to Management

The place has turned a page, financially speaking, so keep up the work that's brought it to solvency.