Whole Foods Market Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Mackey
1 Rating

Pros
  • great culture amongst team members (note: experience based on a smaller store) (in 544 reviews)

• Great company to work for with great benefits (in 326 reviews)

Cons
  • Team members are becoming more jaded about the direction of the company (in 481 reviews)

• Some differences when it comes to work life balance (in 94 reviews)

1. "Gutters and Strikes"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Houston, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Definitely had a lot of great benefits. As with anything that grows too fast, they made a lot of poor decisions that I think negatively affected the business.

Cons

Tries to control employees in management too much. Speaks of empowerment but doesn't back it up.

Advice to Management

Work more with your employees rather than trying to establish quick fixes of hiring outside of the company. It certainly didn't help your stock.

2. "Good place to work if your in school or looking to put money your pocket"

Current Employee - GWA in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - GWA in Houston, TX

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people nice area ok pay just to put money in the pocket

Cons

Hours are not good they give no full to people that work in the front

Advice to Management

Management is good but they need to give a full 40 special the area is a busy

3. "Bad Produce Team"

Former Employee - Produce Team Member in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Produce Team Member in Houston, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

wage is good for retail
    steady hours
    benefits
    clean working environment
    discount

Cons

lay off
    no hires
    high turn around rate for manager
    ignores team members
    does not believe in core values

Advice to Management

Listen to the team members! After my store relocated most of my team quit due to unrealistic expectations.Store Team Leaders and Assistant Team Leaders would not offer a helping hand or re-hire. Most denied anything was wrong and after team members quit blamed the team members. TLs only want you to put your head down work.

"Team Member Review"

Former Employee - Team Member in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Team Member in Houston, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits and work environment. Pay is better than most grocery stores.

Cons

Company is facing extreme competition from other grocery stores and is implementing cost cutting measures across the board. WF is not hiring full time employees to get around paying benefits. Remnants of culture and values can be found but are disappearing daily. Turnover has increased. They are in transition so I would stay away unless you can deal with a lot of uncertainty.

"Cares for its employees,community and the earth."

Former Employee - Guest Service in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Service in Houston, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met a great diverse group of people and got to learn so much.Great perks and benefits. They see you for the work you put in not by how you look. I loved the liberty of being able to dye my hair different colors and being able to express my uniqueness through my style of clothes.

Cons

Their new system in scheduling is not as flexible as before. I felt they could of hired a few more people. There were months were we (employees were exhausted, guests kept complaining lines were long and we didn't have enough employees in our department to help)

Advice to Management

If there are many complaints from guests who are upset for not having enough staff to help them, please higher more employees. We as employees would be exhausted, many times our lunch breaks would be pushed back past a 5hour mark.

7. "Smoke & Mirrors"

Former Employee - Specialty/Wine Team Member in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Specialty/Wine Team Member in Houston, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people at the entry level.

Cons

Everything they advocate about they don't actually do! Biggest surprise: they don't recycle! They put all these containers around but don't recycle once it's out of sight.
    They don't hold anyone accountable, LOTS of product waste and theft. It's all smoke an mirrors about what they want the public to believe.
    They want everyone to feel good, not actually do their job. So many under qualified people that it's frustrating to try to do your job. If you bring it up to Mgr or HR, you are literally "shunned"
     Managers want an easy life, so you are rewarded for not making waves.
    Interviews for promotion are given in peer groups, so basically a big popularity contest. If everyone likes you (meaning you don't hold them accountable) then they "vote" you in. Kinda like voting for Prom

Advice to Management

Managers want an easy life, so you are rewarded for not making waves.

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary. Room for advancement.

Cons

Customer is always right, even when they are completely wrong.

"Guest Service"

Former Employee - Guest Service Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Service Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling, fun environment, selling great products, ability to hone management skills, opportunities for advancement

Cons

if you are older and want to move up quickly, it can be difficult depending on your end goal, it's definitely possible, but it may take longer than you think.

Advice to Management

Try to work directly with degreed staff in mapping their career plans, too much time at the bottom of the pay scale can encourage those with other skills to look elsewhere despite their love for the brand and its excellent products.

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits the insurance was ok except it had a high deductible and I never reached the deductible si I always paid out of pocket. There was a spending account that wfm added funds to after employees worked a number of hours.

Cons

Unprofessional management, the people who were getting management positions weres inexperienced in business and we're not effective.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros working for this company, they are full of liars and people who want to cheat to get to the top. Whatever you do don't work for this company. The pay may be good but they have no morals and they don't know how to treat people.

Cons

There are too many to list
    A company that's full of hypocritical people
    They will say one thing to your face but stab you in the back at every opportunity just so they make it. They charge extortion prices for food you can get almost everywhere.

Showing 79 of 4,857 reviews