Whole Foods Market Reviews

3.6
Whole Foods Market CEO  John Mackey
John Mackey
2,471 Ratings
Pros
  • "Friendly and hardworking team members(in 880 reviews)

• "Good pay decent discount good management(in 516 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Management needs to work with team members(in 692 reviews)

• "Everybody breaks them including Team Leaders but nobody really gets caught(in 376 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Whole Foods Market and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Anonymous

Mar 10, 2021 - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment and coworkers

Cons

Some customers are hard to deal with

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Flexible schedules and great co-workers

May 14, 2021 - Produce Team Member in Pasadena, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most people you work with will be friendly and easy-going. I made a lot of great friends here and created some good memories. I worked here in college and my team leader was always easy to work with in case my schedule changed. The work isn't too hard and actually enjoyable. I worked for another market in the past and just didn't enjoy it. The customers are great and usually friendly. It really depends on the attitude you project, so come into work ready and put emotions behind you.

Cons

Leadership is important here and sometimes other departments had a lack of morale due to having a bad team leader, or in some cases, even a bad store team leader. My location did pretty well in this area but we did hear about other stores having an issue with this. There were "problem customers" but that's part of any customer service related job.

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Literally The Worst

Apr 15, 2021 - Team Member in Roseville, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not much anymore, 401k, $15 minimum starting wage, that's about it

Cons

No part time benefits anymore (taken away when bought out by Amazon), $15 that came when Amazon bought us is no longer competitive wage for similar jobs, constantly pushed to do more than what you signed up for (i.e. work outside your department, stay at work longer than your scheduled shift, train new employees even though you aren't a supervisor, etc) since Amazon has really squeezed our labor budget so they have to spread the employees really thin and utilize each one of us for as many duties as humanly possible, we are handling the pandemic extremely poorly by letting customers in without masks on and opening up our indoor eating areas despite the general public not being vaccinated because the only thing Amazon cares about is making money even if that means putting it's employees at risk, we have lost a lot of what made Whole Foods good in the past such as a lot of made-in-house product being replaced by frozen outsourced product and Team Members no longer being able to express themselves with flair or piercings or tattoos which are things that have been revoked from us since the Amazon takeover. Oh yeah, and did I mention we're owned by Amazon?

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

People are great, pay is good, and I love my discount!

May 12, 2021 - Team Member- Prep Foods
      Business Outlook

Pros

Whole Foods is a great place to work overall. I make $15 an hour, which is twice as much as I have made at much harder jobs. My coworkers are wonderful and my department management is great. A really fun work environment, and accepting- which is especially important to me because I am an aspie and sometimes have a hard time mingling with peers. In addition, they have been very understanding and forgiving the few times I have had to change schedules. The management team is very understanding of staff’s work-life balance, and that makes a huge difference. It’s one of the only jobs I have worked where I still feel a sense of autonomy over my time and schedule, even when working many hours. It feels like I’m being treated like a human instead of a working machine. The department management is very compassionate and takes care of their employees and I adore them. The employee discount is also great. I like wearing my bright solid colored pants also, since the dress code allows it.

Cons

I have my complaints about Whole Foods and Amazon both as companies. I believe that these complaints apply to most corporate retail and food businesses (product sourcing in regards to human, animal and environmental rights). The problem with Whole Foods specifically, as well as its parallels such as market street and central market, is that it is essentially only accessible to the wealthy, and is notoriously a symbol of gentrification. I have spent so much time studying food science and food justice, and Whole Foods really just appears to be the “white savior” grocery store, if that makes sense. Lots of green washing and faux-sustainability intended to make the consumer feel a sense of pride in their decision of products. Sustainability isn’t sustainable if only the rich can afford it. Plus, we don’t even recycle haha.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A Great Place to Work!

May 10, 2021 - Whole Foods Store Support Supervisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Team Member discounts are great, leadership is flexible with scheduling regardless of your situation, plenty of opportunities for growth, including cross-training and promotions. The culture is awesome. Don't be afraid to make a mistake, and a One Store One Team attitude can take you far!

Cons

Some Team Members without the greatest work ethic can slip through the cracks and get by without much accountability. While Amazon has done quite a bit to lower costs and reduce food waste, sometimes their efficiency measures and corporate culture can be incredibly short sighted and conflict with the vibe of Whole Foods Market.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good so far

May 12, 2021 - Meat Cutter in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Depending on the people you work with and the store you’re at the culture can be great. Good benefits, decent PTO policy.

Cons

Whole Foods is owned by Amazon, from what I’ve heard this has begun a slight downhill process resulting in the company being more about profits, less about the people.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not what it used to be but still fantastic

Apr 8, 2021 - Produce Team Member in Greensboro, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The right manager and team can produce magical results for this company and its employees. Great pay for supposed 'entry-level' positions. Discount on products. Less evil corporation than most. Feels like you do more than simply work at a grocery store.

Cons

You will work HARD. The attendance policy is brutal and gets rid of all the good team members. You may be expected to do things way above your pay-grade. The wrong team around you could mean hell. Some managers are horrible. Your discount barely affects the prices here. Not an eco-friendly corporation. Customers can be evil, but this is retail -you know this.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 4.0

Steady Work with Great Team Members

May 10, 2021 - Shipping and Receiving in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great People working with you. Ample breaks given. Discount on products. Solid Healthcare plan. Healt Health

Cons

Micro managed to a degree. Less positive reinforcement, more about what can be better. Which can be good, but a bit too much, when demand has been so high.

9. 4.0

A Good Place to Start Out and Learn

Apr 7, 2021 - Whole Foods Cashier in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Whole Foods tends to pay very well. They are a well-oiled machine, able to train new employees efficiently; Everyone knows what is expected of them. If the team that you are working with is good, then you will have a good experience. There is versatility working in customer service, there is a variety of tasks that you can do while working day to day which helps it all to feel less mundane. As a whole, I do enjoy working here and I would recommend it, especially to those who have not had a job in the service industry before.

Cons

You are working for Amazon so it can feel, at times, very much as though you are a cog in a machine. They put a lot of pressure on attendance. If your team is good, then you're experience is likely to be alright as I said, but if it isn't, it will not be great. Typical customer service job issues, such as difficult or rude customers, can be really tough.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

It was a great source of temporary income.

May 12, 2021 - Cheesemonger in Manhasset, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, PTO is built up and rools over year after year. At any time you can also cash out built up PTO.

Cons

fairly draconian with scheduling and yearly raises. At least in my personal experience.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10,807 Reviews