Whole Foods Market Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Mackey
1 Rating

Pros
  • The lively feel amongst team members (in 533 reviews)

• Great company to work for with great benefits (in 319 reviews)

Cons
  • My team leader didn't care about the team members at all (in 474 reviews)

• Some differences when it comes to work life balance (in 92 reviews)

1. "Incompetent Global and Regional Leadership"

Current Employee - Culinary Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Culinary Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team Members are the best. Meat, seafood, and produce are of the highest quality. If you want to be challenged and pushed this is the place for you. Hard environment where resilience can serve you just as much as talent. Good store leadership for the most part, Team Leaders are focused on supporting and building their teams. Programs can sometimes be well thought out. Teams and stores can sometimes be supported by regional and global teams.

Cons

Shifting focus toward bottom line thinking rather than building and supporting leaders and team members. The responsibility of retaining, training, supporting, and developing falls solely on the shoulders of Team Leaders while Global and Regional directives squeeze labor budgets so small that any Leaders has no time for these things. I was a Prepared Foods Team leader and then took on a Bakery team as well, doubling my work for less than a 3% raise. Team Leader, Buyer, and specialist positions were eliminated due to labor and budget cuts but none of that savings has gone toward better benefits, wages, retention programs, or bonus.

The company likes to pat itself on the back when it comes to supporting team members but is failing completely in that regard. I work 70+ hours a week and that is the only to accomplish the load of work that is required of me.

This is a company that likes to imagine that communication matters to them but I have never been consulted or asked my opinion of any program that I am REQUIRED to execute. I was trained as a leader that the voices of my team matters, my voice does not matter to my Regional Leaders. I am good at what I do, I support my store and my team. My voice should matter.

The company focuses on superficial changes while ignoring larger scale issues felt by Team Members of every level.

Advice to Management

I love working for Whole Foods Market but the complete contempt that my work and the dedication of my team is treated with is inconceivable.

2. "Be Careful"

Current Employee - Team Member in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

20% discount, good beer selection.

Cons

Though one of their publicized "Core Values" is to support "team member excellence and happiness," it's just corporate BS. It seems to be a high school work environment with petty Write-Ups for minor incidences, lousy pay, boring work with few challenges or variety, work schedules that can wander from opening shifts to closing shifts in any given week, and management that has little regard for individual team members needs. A lot of corporate yada-yada about helping the planet and respecting workers rights in the world countries, but little regard for their own staff. Their self-righteous marketing claims are all the more offensive when you consider the sheer volume of non-GMO, Paleo, Vegan, and/or Gluten Free empty calories they push on the gullible public. And this from a guy who has been eating organic for a few decades.

Advice to Management

Richard Branson said: "If the person who works at your company is not appreciated, they are not going to do things with a smile," Branson says. By not treating employees well, companies risk losing customers over bad service. To this end, Branson says he has made sure that Virgin prioritizes employees first, customers second, and shareholders third." You should pay attention. He's smarter than you are.

3. "Terrible management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers, Team Members, Pay, Benefits, Area

Cons

Stressful, Depressing, Terrible, Worst management ever, Worthless

Advice to Management

Crooked management

""healthy" eating"

Former Employee - Team Member in Highland, IN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Highland, IN

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Pay
    -Good people
    -good healthcare for full timers

Cons

-Store managers are idiots
    - certain team leaders are inept morons. When I say "inept," I mean inept like incapable of leading a team and leading a team ethically. I heard from another employee that the seafood ATL puts out spoiled and expired seafood and serves it to customers while the manager and the store managers turn a blind eye as if nothing is happening. Raise a fuss, thinking your doing your fellow employees a favor and your ousted as if you're the bad guy. Meat TL literally got the job because noone else wanted to work at that store which shows you how bad it is.
    -You have to be a total "Yes-Man" to work and succeed there and you're ousted and put in the dog house if you have other plans or are just looking to work there to pay bills, ect. Customers are entitled and awful, they will talk down on you because they know they can and will get something free out of it and you'll get written up even though you are in the right. Then the store managers (you know who you are) who sit up stairs all day and watch people on the camera instead of doing their jobs come and tell you how to do your job as if they spend all day dealing with customers themselves and not playing on the computer or checking their e-mails.
    -Questionable ethics, I can't speak for the rest of the company but at my location I literally saw the seafood ATL drop a piece of fish on the floor, pick it up and put it back in the counter with the response, "Oh, it'll go away when they cook it" as if you're not potentially risking the company and someone else's health and well being.

Advice to Management

Complete over-hall of all management personnel at the Highland location, complete overall, retain noone. Hire people with actual ethics and accountability

6. "Bakery"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time

Pros

I guess being paid 12.50 bi weekly

Cons

Team leaders suck, 30 min breaks for people working 8-9 hour shifts. Horrible!!!!!! Don't do it run

7. "Stay away"

Current Employee - Lead Baker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Baker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only problem is the entry pay rate, and paid time off.

Cons

Whole foods is an oppressive management oriented environment. They are building a company that resembles walmart in structure. I've worked at both. After enduring 10 years of abusive, racist ( only one, but she was directly above every me. She needs error punished be a useful she was a yes man. Even eryone, of everyone of every race feared her) bullying, I went above my manager to log a complaint. Fear of job loss is what took me so long
     Needless to say they fired me two weeks later. They will protect managers beyond better moral judgement.

Advice to Management

Treat people fairly.

8. "Poor leadership"

Former Employee - Produce Team Member in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Produce Team Member in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, paid time off, company culture.

Cons

Poor leadership, mind games, inconsistent scheduling.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to team members. I was held to different standards than other team members in my department. Since numbers were not good, WFM wanted to trim the budget. Since I was the target, leadership made up issues with "job performance" for corrective action. I was given more responsibility and less time to complete the work. I was set up to fail. Leadership should be more approachable. Team leader would sneer at and belittle team members which does not motivate anyone. This leads to poor morale. Store team leader did not even say "hello" to team members which serves as a poor example for team members to greet customers.

Scheduling needs to be consistent. Team members need work/life balance. Schedules were not posted until 4 days before the next week. Every week was different. Team members did not know from week to week what would be their hours and days off. Thus, it was virtually impossible to make any plans for appointments and personal business for team members.

9. "Squeaky clean outside, not so much under the surface"

Former Employee - Cashier's Assistant in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier's Assistant in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Comprehensive benefits if needed
    -Hourly pay rate is fairly good
    -Coworkers tend to be supportive and friendly towards one another
    -Fair degree of freedom in your work
    -Employee appreciation week

Cons

-Thin facade of interest and care about empolyees exists in management; appear to be on your side until you have an issue, then they'll """look into it"""
    -Shifts can be anywhere from 4 to 9 hours a day. It's either a painful slog or a piddling stint that barely pays for the gas it took to get there
    -Good luck getting full time hours if you're part time. You'd think you were asking for gold bullion the way management hims and haws over it
    -They claim that employee welfare is one of their cornerstones, yet as soon as stocks drop your hours are cut and your "guaranteed" yearly raises are hard capped. Sucks to be you.
    -The clientele is maddeningly insufferable at the best of times; anything that goes wrong seems to be your fault personally, it is impossible to bag groceries correctly the first time, and god help you if someone overhears you question the fad diet they happen to be on that week
    -Diligence and hard work are rewarded with additional responsibilities which you'll be expected to take on for no extra pay or incentive. Work hard? Guess what. You're the whipping boy.
    -Mandatory quarterly meetings at the wee hours of the morning, the content of which may not even apply to you. Hope you like pointless meetings at 6am before your 4 hour closing shift, forcing you to come in twice for 30 bucks that day if you're lucky
    -Customer satisfaction is pursued to a degree that borders on the absurd. Hope you like your paycheck making up for profits lost to returns made on products from other stores or just outright fraud.
    -You won't be informed of anything you might unknowingly be doing wrong until you're being chewed out for unwittingly doing it several times

I genuinely feel that the time I spent here was a total waste of a year and a half I will never get back. I really do, genuinely do.

Advice to Management

-Either actually care about what employees think and feel or stop pretending you do.
    -Butter me up all you want, I'm not doing 3 employee's worth of work for you when I already do the work of 2 and you refuse to notice
    -Tell the 5th person today who's retuning something because they "didn't like it" to beat it so you can afford to actually give me shifts longer than 4 hours

10. "Avoid"

Current Employee - Marketing Team Leader in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Team Leader in Boston, MA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

really great place to work if you are a team-member and not a manager
    great hold-over job
    20% discount to start on all products -- you're able to get a higher discount the healthier you are

Cons

Management is pretty weak, not a lot of collaborative work, just a lot of people with a lot of ideas working independently from one another. No cohesion in messaging or purpose. seems like the company is grasping at straws; holding on to days past pretty tightly.

no-one says "no" which leaves work to fall on someone else's shoulders...a delegation culture that really is just way too broken to sustain for very much longer.

Advice to Management

listen to people and adapt. don't just communicate what you want and expect everyone to follow. take feedback and internalize it...work towards goals and stand up for your team members when they need help...take onus of your roles as managers of PEOPLE first, and projects second.

"Grow up, get your act together, be professional."

Former Employee - Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you've been with the company for a long time and know how to manipulate the system, you're rewarded. There are some really great and talented individuals whom I respect, but this is the exception.

Cons

You will see very few people climb the ladder, who haven't been with the company for several years. Obviously, this is a big part of why they are continuing to lose customers. It's such a strange cult-like environment to work within. On top of that, the CEO John Mackey is a serious creep and a big reason for my decision to leave. As with all big companies, it's all about the money - don't be fooled otherwise.

Advice to Management

Performance reviews with anonymous feedback are a terrible experience. If people have something to say about an individual's performance, they should be forthright. Additionally, the internal politics makes for a confusing and sometimes awful working experience. Just because someone can meet financial metrics, does not mean they are a good manager. Also, please stop with the internal propaganda - focus on the customers and building leaders who are capable of supporting a comprehensive team agenda.

Showing 331 of 4,749 reviews