Whole Foods Market Reviews | Glassdoor

John Mackey

5,023 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not very transparent with team members (in 503 reviews)

• Some differences when it comes to work life balance (in 98 reviews)

"Excellent work environment, far above retail standards"

Current Employee - Associate Team Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Team Leader in Chicago, IL

Pros

Excellent benefits; an excellent work environment where everyone is in it together and works for the success of the whole; profit sharing ("Gainsharing") that benefits everyone based on their sales efficiency/productivity per hours worked; excellent opportunities for moving up appear all the time; and constant encouragement from management to take that next step to move up - everyone truly cares.

Cons

The clientele at Whole Foods is much more demanding than that of conventional markets. You must be able to embrace the idea that the customer is always right and that nobody but the store manager has the authority to say no. You must always find a way to make someone happy.

Advice to Management

Senior management communicates excellently with team members at all levels, and sets reasonable, clear expectations, leading everyone to success together.

2. "Whole Foods is not just a grocery store!"

Current Employee - Guest Services Supervisor in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Guest Services Supervisor in Redmond, WA

Pros

Whole foods is a place where you can be yourself and do what you enjoy and are good at doing. For example, if you have an idea for a sign or a display or a fun thing to appreciate team members, everybody will listen to you, and if it's a sound idea, see to it that it happens. Team Member Appreciation is one of the core values, and our store leadership, as well as our TMAG (Team Member Awareness Group) hold this value very highly. We are a step above other grocery stores.

Cons

Not everybody is as in tune with the guest service aspect as one would like them to be. To some people it's just a job, not a career.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!! Without you our jobs would be mundane!

"Whole Foods Market: A Whole Spirit, Mind and Body healthy working experience."

Current Employee - Cashier in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Sugar Land, TX

Pros

Whole Foods encourage their employees to move around the store to different areas and departments to encourage job growth development and knowledge.
    All of the Assistant Team Leaders are encourage to visit other stores and move around and gain leadership experience in order to become new Team Leaders and so that they move upwards and create openings for other Team Members to move upwards.
    WFM encourages job development and training constantly. The open door policy of managements means that issues can be resolved quickly.
    WFM changes and adapts the neighbourhood that they are in, and tries to find like minded people to work at the store.
    WFM encourages guest relations and really encourages TM to treat guests as if this were a neighbourhood grocer in a small town, where "everyone knows your name!". Guests treat WFM employees differently to other stores, because all employees are empowered by TL's to take the initiative and improvise when it comes to giving a guest great service.
    WFM TM are treated as intelligent individuals with an opinion and a life outside of the store, rather than supermarket monkey's.
    The Team Members Awareness Group really tries to make contact with all TM's and acts as a liaison between TM's and TL's, helping to bring to the TL's attention issues and problems that would not normally be exposed..... therefore helping to stop ":mutiny within the ranks!"
    WFM has a wonderful global and earth awareness philosophy, which they constantly try to educate and teach guests and TMs. So they really practice what they preach and WFM tries to find like-minded people to work for them. Everyone that works at WFM is enthusiastic about working there and about incorporating the philosophy within their own lives.

Cons

Sometimes the training and development of staff get left behind when the store goes through a rough patch and Leaders struggle to pick up the pace again. Part Timers should also be offered better benefits for service hours.
    TL need to collaborate more on working standards and expectations as working with different TL and shift supervisors leads to confusion in the TM ranks.

Advice to Management

Focus on up training; WFM University, and giving Team Members the skills and knowledge to move upwards. Although TL encourage the move, there needs to be more opportunities to train and more opportunities to give TM access to the wealth of knowledge that WFM has at its disposal.

4. "I love working for Whole Foods Market and I'm sure you will too."

Current Employee - Team Member in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Team Member in Denver, CO

Pros

Whole Foods Maret is a place where I am proud to work. I am proud to work for a company that I can believe in what they are selling. I actually enjoy my job and enjoy going every day. Its a great place to work because they care about their employees and the environment. They have amazing benefits, that decrease in the amount you pay, and i have gotten three raises in a year and half. It feels good to work for a company that is try to make a positive difference in people's life. I like working for a company that has a great track record for people working there a long time ,s well as people moving up in their careers and with in the company.

Cons

A downside to Whole Foods Market is that once they get you trained in your department they offer very little continued training, unless you want to complete it on your own time.

Advice to Management

I would just advise Senior Management to continue to put people in the Senior Positions that actually know and believe in the Whole Foods Market Values. We have to continue to uphold the Quality Standards, while we grow as a bigger company. We don't want to become a King Soopers or even worse a Wal-Mart. Let's always remember why John Mackey started Whole Foods Market in the first place.

5. "sweet place to work most of the time because you learn a lot, but also drains your life over time"

Former Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Benefits early on, employee discount, job-specific training and they're always making changes to make the store a nicer place for customers and employees. They sincerely seem to care about educating their employees and customer service.

Cons

Inventory EVERY month was a nightmare because I would have to work from 8 pm until 7 or 8 am and then go to school at 10 am all day, it was the worst feeling ever.

Advice to Management

Lighten up - there's a bunch of low-maintenance hippies that work for you, we don't live a life of stress like you do and it seems like you're getting too into the corporate side of business, it used to be cool to work at WFM, now it just plain sucks because you care about are G.D. COMPS - which aren't even a good measurement of improvement over the previous year - WHAT ABOUT INFLATION??? DUH! of course comps will be higher becuse PRICES are higher as well.

6. "Whole Foods - try it, you just might like it!!"

Former Employee - Purchasing Assistant of Meat Department in Cheshire, CT
    Former Employee - Purchasing Assistant of Meat Department in Cheshire, CT

Pros

Whole Foods is a very good company to work for. The benefits are better than any other company in which I have worked for. The employees have a say in every area of the company, they even vote every 3 years on what the benefit package should be and then the majority is the way the set up the benefits for the next 3 years. They are very family oriented, I've worked for 2 different regions and although there are some differences, for the most part it is all one big happy family, with the little quirks that you would expect to find in any family! All in all, the company is a really great company to work for, every company has it's downsides, I can honestly say though that I've never been happier working for any other company!

Cons

I have worked for 2 different regions and have found that each region isn't necessarily operating the same. That is Whole Foods though, every one in the company has a say in how things are run. I guess it's all a matter of your own personal opinions and convictions, the first region was a very family oriented region, where even our President and Vice Presidents of multiple Regional departments were in your stores multiple times a year and really cared about what the TM's had to say without Management being there! I honestly can't think of anything else that I can give input to on this subject!

Advice to Management

I would just like to say that as in any "family" there should never be favorites chosen and treated differently than others! I have seen so much of this in the past 2 years (was with the company a total of 4 years) that I have been there and it really discourages others who are trying to work towards moving up in the company!!

"Employees of Whole Foods are respected, heard, and paid well!!"

Current Employee - Sports Nutrition Specialist/Buyer in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Sports Nutrition Specialist/Buyer in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

All of the opportunity for advancement, raises, benefits, etc, are in the hands of the employees. I have never found a place that was so willing to please its employees. They want us to be happy so that we do our jobs well and help turn a profit, and it works tremendously well. I am a very happy employee, perhaps for the first time in a job ever, and I tell all of my friends to get jobs at Whole Foods. I wouldn't do that if I didn't stand behind everything that the company stands for and know that the company stands behind me too.

Cons

Truly and honestly, I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

For specific people to be more available to the employees when they're around. The store team leader is very quick and almost sneaky in the way he moves around the store. It isn't always easy to get ahold of him for help or advice, which is sometimes really necessary.

"Ample opportunity for one to achieve self-directed success while participating in a world-changing company."

Current Employee - Cashier in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Dallas, TX

Pros

Whole Foods has developed around a framework it calls the Declaration of Interdependence which seeks to account for all of the stakeholders upon which the company is dependent for success. Customers, shareholders, team members, the community, and producers are taken into account in all aspects of decision making to insure an well-rounded base of support from which everybody can succeed with each other. On a more obvious level, WFM has the most competitive benefits/compensation package in the industry, including an amazing 20% discount off retail of everything in the company, good at any Whole Foods or Wild Oats location. Besides being the basis for the widespread popularization of organics and natural foods in America, Whole Foods is now significantly turning its focus to sustainability and natural capital initiatives which seek to create one of the most eco-efficient and healthful companies in the country. Team that up with amazing opportunities for career advancement and participation in social programs such as Whole Planet, in affiliation with Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhummad Yunus, and it almost seems as though WFM is in the world-changing business more than the food retail business. For the progressively-minded employee, Whole Foods doesn't even have any interest in testing for drugs, and requires only that you not be obviously under the influence while on the clock.

Cons

There truly aren't many downsides of working at Whole Foods for the average confident, happy person. Depending on your job, you are very likely to be standing on your feet 7-8 hours a day, happily awaiting your fairly short 30 minute lunch break. Though you're likely to receive the same, droll comments from a fairly common type of customer day-in and day-out, opportunity for lateral movement through a variety of different positions at the store level can prevent job-crippling boredom. If you are incapable of detaching from the misplaced anger of customers who carry try to offload their emotional baggage on unsuspecting employees whenever they can, you'll soon find yourself lashing out; just as with any customer service job. Perhaps the only other downside of the job, which is also commonly lauded as an asset to the operations of WFM, is the decentralization of segments of the company, regions, and stores that come sometimes lead to noticeable redundancies and inefficiencies, but which ultimately allows the sort of freedom where you never quite become a "cog in a machine wheel."

Advice to Management

The Senior Management (global and regional leadership teams) do an exceptional job of leading Whole Foods with the same sort of vision today that created a quiet revolution in the grocery industry twenty-five years ago, but there are certainly some opportunities for improvement. Perhaps the most obvious opportunity is to branch beyond the traditional Tribal Gathering which takes into account all levels of leadership down to Store Team Leaders and consider a Team Member version that increases the stake TMs feel they have in the company. Via a lottery or nomination process, TMs could thus come together in a gathering with certain levels of leadership that would overcome the hierarchical filters that prevent TM needs and concerns from being properly communicated by higher levels of leadership. The entire premise of such an event, in fact, is predicated on the inefficiency of middle management that has seemingly become necessarily pervasive as WFM has increased in size and success. I personally have a number of examples where John Mackey has, upon interacting with TMs, been dismayed at the restrictions set forth by STLs or RVPs and just as quickly overturned the ridiculous rules that were preventing true TM happiness. Overall, just review the Declaration of Interdependence openly and honestly and insure that the struggle to balance TMs, customers, shareholders, communities, and producers is being publicly communicated for full transparency.

9. "Good pace to work for and grow."

Current Employee - Team Leader in Santa Fe, NM
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Santa Fe, NM

Pros

Food, people, pay, and benefits.

Cons

There are really no downsides.

Advice to Management

Have fun, live life, and meet people.

10. "i really love it here"

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

Pros

you are given many opportunities. Not just the chance to advance, but have a say in how the daily operations are run. It is up to you, as to how much involvement you want to have.

Cons

a lot of travel for Specialists and up. It is sometimes an unnecessary expense. it does not support the Green Mission, nor is it fiscally responsible. We should look in to web meetings, or just a good, old fashioned phone call.

Advice to Management

keep trying new things, continue to listen to the people on the floor, and be aware of what the competition is doing.

Showing 5,023 of 5,066 reviews