Wholesale Interiors Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bensenville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bensenville, IL

Pros

I have a little over a year working here. I have learned a lot while working a Wholesale Interiors and I enjoy working here.

Cons

Need more communication with the coworkers

Advice to Management

The owners are nice and approachable

"Failed manager"

I worked at Wholesale Interiors full-time

Pros

One star for co workers and one for experience. Coworkers are very supportive and understanding. If your looking to gain some experience in the field and cant find any other company nearby this is your last resort. I would say get your experience and leave.

Cons

Google failed manager. 99% is accurate about merchandise director/manager. With holds information and training is not consistent. You really have to figure out things yourself. When they said they will train....its more like throw things at you and go figure it out. Treat you with no respect and talks down to you, especially if your new grad or have little to no experience. Broken communication and doubt your ability to understand. You must have a thick skin to work here and the manager is right all the time. Very disappointed.

Advice to Management

Be willing to learn how to manage. I have never worked for a company that degrades their employee instead of motivate. That's how you keep people working for you. Your management style belong in the past.

"Sales"

I worked at Wholesale Interiors full-time

Pros

None, actually. I ran out of here after two weeks.

Cons

This is a Chinese sweat shop. They like to hire their own, if you're not chinese... you are worthless. Favoritism to their own, speaking in there own language. It's a mess. Don't work here, bunch of crazy people selling cheap chinese furniture.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage and be professional.

"Dysfunctional Chinese Furniture Company"

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here unless you can't get a job anywhere else.

Cons

Narcissistic, dishonest owners and managers, extremely rude cultural bias, 'leaders' who play favorites and withhold both training and information, and some of the worst coworkers you could imagine. Screaming is common as well as speaking in another language to purposely exclude and undermine other staff members. Sometimes unhappy customers show up wanting their money back due to the poor quality furniture that they were sold. Chuck Tanner is not the CEO, he's been largely marginalized by the other owner. Both of the owners are very much at odds and it shows in the company culture and the attitudes of some of the key players. Some managers seem hung up on a superiority complex and are desperate to hold on to their concept of control. They provide little to no feedback on performance but seem to gather 'issues' to bring to your attention months later during reviews. Things could be so much better but management seems determined to make the employees as miserable as possible. For these people enjoying your work is a detriment to productivity. There is no respect for 99% of the people who work here, most leave or are purposely let go within a year. The company seems to want to push employees as hard as they can and then let them go before they become eligible for 401k. This place almost seems like a bad joke but sadly it's not. The positive reviews here are faked to balance out the truthful negative ones. Based on their treatment of employees it's easy to determine how this company feels about their products and their end consumer. Avoid if possible.

Advice to Management

Therapy might be able to help your issues, otherwise there are lots of water bodies in the area.

"Worst mistake I ever made was taking a job here"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Bensenville, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Bensenville, IL

I worked at Wholesale Interiors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The committee was very short from my house. During your only break of 30 minutes, you could sit in your car and watch the planes from O'Hare fly over and wish you were on one leaving this awful job.

Cons

There are so many terrible things about this place. I should have seen the red flags when I first showed up to interview. Their "waiting area" was pitiful for a company who has an enormous warehouse full of furniture available to them anytime. I applied for customer service rep but was offered the job of Marketing Assistant. I thought I interviewed well and so I took the job they offered. The guy who would end up being the worst human being my boss and the worst kind of person on earth would regularly yell at staff
     I mean, he would raise his voice at an employee in a room full of cubicles where the whole office can hear. I watched him make at least 5 employees cry in my 8 weeks with this company's 8 weeks was all I could tolerate because when he was not yelling at you, he was sending you threatening messages over Google Chat.

My job had no direction or instruction so I would go out to the warehouse to take photos for Instagram (with my own phone!) Just to get away from this misogynistic jerk. He would also flirt with the receptionist who was at least 10 years younger than him. There was no chatting allowed during working hours so whenever he would leave the office the rest of us would have nothing but terrible things to say about him and try to console whomever he most recently yelled at.

Aside from this awful person, the rest of the office spoke little to no English. I was told by one of the Asian staff that many of them were hoping to get their US residency so they could not quit and the owners would regularly threaten to send them back to their home countries. The owners are money hungry and do not care about your skills, your ideas, or about you as a human being at all.

As Marketing Assistant I was instructed to review products as a customer to increase star ratings, so rest assured that any positive ratings you see here are all fabricated.

Advice to Management

Go take a jump off a bridge.

"Asst Manager"

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

OPENING STATEMENT:
    " Work joyfully and peacefully, knowing that right thoughts and right efforts will inevitably bring about right results"-- James Allen from " As a Man Thinketh"

AT WILL EMPLOYMENT IS A TERM USED IN U.S. LABOR LAW FOR CONTRACTUAL RELATIONSHIPS IN WHICH AN EMPLOYEE CAN BE DISMISSED BY AN EMPLOYER FOR ANY REASON ( THAT IS, WITHOUT HAVING TO ESTABLISH JUST CAUSE ) AND WITHOUT WARNING.

My five year experience with Wholesale Interiors / Baxton Studio Outlet is that they operate via a fear driven / micro managed platform that complies within an antiquated mentality of an outdated business model. You certainly can be let go from your position there ( depending on their mood of the day ) by merely doing your job, striving to do it better, attempting to suggest new ideas to owners and management or just by saying "hello" to one of the owners in passing. Their supposed "open door policy" is a sham. In an attempt to obtain a moment of their time to discuss an important item or issue pertaining to their business, you are brushed off and told to go see ( another person ) instead. that person can be any one of the many Asian speaking girls who are in charge of the many functions or the office. Since there is an extreme language barrier as ( their English ain't so great ), the communication of queries and issues becomes an extreme challenge. Can't seem to get your point across without at least a dozen attempts and they end up referring you back to the owners. ( Ah! The corporate philosophy: THE RIGHT HAND DOES NOT KNOW WHAAT THE LEFT HAND IS DOING ).

Shortly there after an email appears to your in box with a reprimand for " bothering the office staff" and the details pertaining to the protocols of "chain of command". Hopefully you didn't disturb one of the owners from his time with his spy cameras. ( that could be one opportunity to be let go )

Policies and operating procedures are very frequently changed in mid implementation with no communication to those of whom it would affect, leading to, ( guess what? ), firing.

Employees that are hired on with more industry knowledge that the owners are used for what information and be obtained and then, ( yup, got it right ), let go.

When the powers that be decide that your time is about to be up at WSI /BSO, a new employee appears amongst the ranks and is strategically placed under the guise of "we're expanding your department" or "we're opening a new store" etc., etc., ( Red Flag ), expect to be soon told, ( right again, " you are being let go, we're moving in a different direction" ).

Customer service is horrible in all departments and customer issues are rarely addressed in a timely fashion, if at all. Customer service and sales will hardly admit to their error's. The company will not stand behind their products. (OK, that is understandable as they only import low quality, poorly manufactured products made in China and Malaysia ). You have as a customer, 24 hours to assemble and rectify any issue. Otherwise, good luck with your purchase.

Delivery service is atrocious: wrong items, mismatched colors and damaged or dirty items that are pulled from the warehouse are continually being delivered to customers on a frequent basis. Items being delivered are not secured in the delivery truck and often arrive to the customer damaged. This makes for a total nightmare for retail management and sales reps as they have to understandably handle angry customers issues due to the ineptness of the warehouse and delivery staff.

Warehouse inventory counts are continually inaccurate.

Many attempts have been made to the owners by the small handful of employees that actually cared enough to help correct the negative situations at WSI /BSO, however, only to fall on deaf ears. I guess when your tout that the company earns over 65 Million USD per year and seemingly is being earned by default, why would they care to resolve major flaws or issues when they can pass blame and just discharge any one of their minions.

... " and the beat goes on, the beat goes on..." -- Sonny and Cher

If you recently graduated college and still live at home, this might be an entry level place to obtain some additional work experience. That is the only positive thing that I can say about the company. If you are a business professional who support yourself and or your family and you are looking into this company as a career choice and for financial stability, then... run Forrest run..., as far and as fast as possible. Look elsewhere. Considering what an employee has to deal with and for the lack of respect that you would receive, the pay scale is far sub-standard.

Best of luck from a former dedicated employee who was discharged for political reasons

Advice to Management

As business leaders of the communities in which you work and live in, it is your responsibility to provide a decent working wage. It icier responsibility as employers to cultivate and work with and not against the many talented people who have entered into your realm rather than creating hardships to those employees who have given their all to your success. It is your duty to respect the hardworking individuals that are the lifeblood of your business. It is not morale boosting company wide to having employees's continually being ushered out of the building according to your whims. Be pro-active and professional in your business and get your hands dirty. Each of one of you owners, take a week out of your ivory towers to actually work side by side with your employee's and assist with the physical work of each of your departments to actually see how your business runs, feels, and operates. Learn how to respect your most valuable assets; your employee's. Make productive changes accordingly by actively listening to the employee's and management's ideas and concerns rather than shunning them and making them feel that they are looked down to. Stop babbling nonsense in your meetings and ask appropriate and relevant questions, keep accurate notes and formulate productive ideas by analysis and consultation with all the members of your teams. Learn how to run your business from real life, hands on experiences and not just from your books on "How to Operate a Furniture Business 101". Also, invest in sending your office staff in charge to classes to learn functional language and communication skills so as to effectively interact within the business environment in which they are commissioned to operate.

"Growing to improve"

Pros

Open communication and a drive to make the best business choices and investments for an expanding company. Great work life balance with schedule M-F 8-5. Co-workers are approachable and a diverse culture across the board. Owners do what they can to to problem solve and help each department run efficiently. They also want to invest in growing and developing their employees who are not as experienced in their line of profession. Unlike other reviews here who counter the previous statement, this means the employee has to work hard and show their commitment to development. Overall my experience has been great and I look forward to a long career with this expanding company.

Cons

A couple of the departments are a bit understaffed so some of the much needed work that needs completed in a timely manner does not get accomplished. With more man power the work load and productivity would run at an efficient speed that the company needs.

Advice to Management

Hire a few more hard workers to accomplish needed support.

"order processor"

Pros

there is no pros can be mentioned

Cons

just suitable for those do not need any career path candidates

"New opportunity"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bensenville, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bensenville, IL

I have been working at Wholesale Interiors full-time

Pros

I was given the opportunity to start a new career in online merchandising. I have learned a lot about working with customers, increasing my computer skills and learning a whole new industry. The company is growing very fast and I am happy to be a part of it.

Cons

I don't see any downsides. I got the salary I wanted and a new opportunity.. The office staff seems to be changing and people are friendly now.

Advice to Management

keep opening up new opportunitites

"Nice company, good people"

Pros

The company is growing quickly, so there are opportunities for hard-working, patient people to gain valuable experience and advance. Everyone is very friendly and helpful - I learned a lot. The health insurance is pretty good.

Cons

There aren't too many cons, other than the fact that pay is a little low and there isn't much paid time off.

Advice to Management

Pay more and/or provide better benefits. This could reduce turnover, which could actually save money in the long-term.