Wholesale Supplies Plus Reviews | Glassdoor

Wholesale Supplies Plus Reviews

Updated 18 Jan 2018

4.2
Wholesale Supplies Plus CEO Debbie May (no image)
Debbie May
  1. "Love it here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

I have been working at Wholesale Supplies Plus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Warm, friendly family owned company. The owners are very involved in the day to day operations and are highly committed to providing a challenging and rewarding work environment. They care about their employees and it shows. Great coworkers as well! Smart, fun, kind people all committed to the success of the business. Feels like a team - which is awesome!

Cons

Lots of new faces as the company has been growing. Miss knowing everyone by name.

Advice to Management

Lots of positive changes over the past few years (new location, new positions & opportunities, etc.) Keep doing what you're doing.

Wholesale Supplies Plus2018-01-18

"Great Family Owned Business"

Current Employee - OHIO in Independence, OH

I have been working at Wholesale Supplies Plus full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a great family owned business in which the owners are highly invested. They have a specific way they want things done because they know what works best for their customers. Their standards are high (which I love) and their tolerance for drama is low (which is a huge A+ in my book). If you are a person that doesn't work hard or seeks to keep the customer first then there isn't a lot of room for you in... the company. They treat high performing employees very well. From my observations, once you prove yourself and do things the way they know works, there is no micro-managing. You will be given considerable autonomy and latitude to do your job.

Cons

The company is growing so fast that it is hard to keep up with new faces.

Advice to Management

More employee network events. I would like to get to know more people outside of my department.

Wholesale Supplies Plus2015-11-07

"Amazing Company to Work For, Awesome Owners, Fun Work - I HIGHLY Recommend This Company"

Current Employee - Office Worker in Broadview Heights, OH

I have been working at Wholesale Supplies Plus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have never had an employer that was so concerned in my own personal growth, development and over all well-being. Debbie May hired me when I was very young and inexperienced. I didn't have an opportunity to finish college but she hired me on without a degree. She stuck with me during many growing pains and encouraged me to develop my skills and talents. Debbie herself is a very creative person and she encourages... creative freedom and thinking outside of the box. She's always open to hearing new ideas and she appreciates your contribution to her success. She always encouraged me to reach out for more opportunities with the company, even when I had set-backs she patiently worked with me to help develop my leadership skills. She also always makes me feel appreciated - which i think is an incredibly important feeling to have at any job. Both Debbie and her husband Dave have always been incredibly kind. They are the MOST forgiving employers I've ever had. If you make a mistake and go to them, they are so cool and understanding. When situations in my personal life have come up that affected my job, they have always been helpful and supportive of me so that I can continue working with them. They have always rewarded me for my hard work and expressed their appreciation for my contributions, which in turn makes me want to work even harder for them. The work culture is awesome! The senior staff members are so relaxed and easy to get along with. You can tell just by meeting them that everyone loves their jobs. I think it's true for all businesses that some bad eggs come and go, this is true at WSP as well. However, at the end of the day, there are many key employees that are loyal to the CEO and the company that have been around for more than a decade. I think that says something about a company. The CEO herself is a really fun, personable woman. She appreciates mixing humor into the workday and encourages her employees to have casual and fun working relationships, as long as they are still productive. The current office has an open floor plan to encourage teamwork and open communication among the departments which has been great for developing both working & personal relationships with my coworkers. Coworkers are always bringing in food from new recipes to share. Each morning friendly banter fills the office as we all get settled in. It feels less like work and more like a home away from home because everyone is so comfortable here. Despite the company itself being amazing, the industry itself is such a fun atmosphere to work in. Handmade artisans and crafters are so kind and inspiring! If you are a creative person who enjoys the craft and handmade industry, you will love to be apart of this company. In general, the company has such an inspiring atmosphere. It has grown so much in the past few years and it will continue to grow. Many of the employees are really passionate about the company and the energy is contagious. You can't help to be a cheerleader for WSP! They say that if you love your job that you don't have to work a day in your life. I can honestly say that my job at WSP makes me feel secure and fulfilled everyday. I get to have creative freedom, enjoy close wonderful friendships with my fellow employees (they feel like family to me), and I feel appreciated and valuable. In my time here, I have recommended jobs to more than 5 of my close friends and family members of which have worked for Debbie and Dave May! I would recommend a job here to any person. It really is an AWESOME place to work.

Cons

This company is growing so there can be growing pains at times. Some policies that have come and gone were not my favorites. If you can hang on through these growing pains it's absolutely worth it! This company is growing and affords many opportunities for career advancement.

Advice to Management

I would consider offering a more lenient time-off policy for when unavoidable life circumstances interfere with work. Rewarding employees with more vacation time is good as well, sometimes time off is more valuable than a monetary raise.

Wholesale Supplies Plus2014-11-19

"Best Job Ever"

I have been working at Wholesale Supplies Plus full-time

Pros

Great company that I highly recommend. The atmosphere is fun and collaborative. We are all working for the greater good of the customer. Every department is growing and adding resources. I love my job and coming to work each day. I am not over managed and I like that.

Cons

We are growing so quickly I wish I knew the names of all of the new staff.

Advice to Management

Maybe have more company mix and mingle events among the staff.

Wholesale Supplies Plus2014-10-30

"I Recommend This Company"

I have been working at Wholesale Supplies Plus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have worked at this company for over 10 years and have seen a lot. If you are an honest hard-worker then you will get chance for more responsibility and pay. If you are arrogant and think you are better than the rest of us then you will likely be challenged to improve yourself. I have NOT found the CEO to be "unstable" but instead very busy and intolerant of big egos with little substance. If you lie about... your credentials or steal from the company you will be gone, which I feel is okay because most of us don't like working around these types of people anyway. The owner built this company from a start-up to now 70 employees and she knows what works. I love that she is willing to teach and encourage all of us. I am learning so much and with her encouragement may even one day start my own small business.

Cons

The company is growing and that can sometimes be overwhelming. I wish I knew everyone's name.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more team building events away from work.

Wholesale Supplies Plus2014-10-13
  6. "Great Organization"

I have been working at Wholesale Supplies Plus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company values honesty, hard-work, family values, and diversity. I like that they do not tolerate lying, gossiping or egotistical behavior. We are a team at all levels of the organization which makes coming to work better than most companies I have worked at. The owner is inspiring female, leader and role model. She has the vision for company growth and delegates responsibilities so I have autonomy in my... position. I like that I am encouraged to learn things independently and have the freedom to implement my own ideas as long as they are productive to the company’s mission. The culture is low pressure with high standards. I could not ask for a better job.

Cons

It is a relatively flat organization and career growth tends to be in job responsibilities. Management is starting to implement more rules, policies and procedures for being on-time and taking unpaid time off.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow, spend time keeping the current culture and values.

Wholesale Supplies Plus2014-10-11

"Unsuspecting applicants, proceed with caution."

I worked at Wholesale Supplies Plus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly customer service and staff. Work hours 8- 4:30 pm

Cons

The CEO is very scattered with little to no knowledge of how a company should run in terms of business plans or strategies. She would constantly walk in and announce to staff that she wanted a flash sale (or something similar) and everyone had to scramble to accommodate the request usually within the hour. A professional would have sales and promotions planned in advance so the company would put it's best foot... forward. She would also buy likes and followers from social media to try and keep up with the competition, which in my opinion is cheating. With hard work and quality products the company could have been in the number one position for the industry, but she was too concerned with office politics and mud slinging her competitors to actually do the work. The staff in general was great. There were a few bad eggs like in any company, but overall everyone worked well together. However there was a weird separation between office and warehouse workers, which seemed a little discriminatory. ALL staff felt on edge due to the firing policies. People were laid off without warning or explanation. Long term employees would constantly joke that they are surprised if someone lasts a year within the company. The salaries were also dismal. My advice would be to stay away from this company unless you are interning or desperate.

Advice to Management

Plan your promotions in advance. Inform your employees of your sales strategies or upcoming sales so they can prepare. Work on interpersonal relations between staff and management.

Wholesale Supplies Plus2014-10-15

"Unstable CEO, tenuous work environment and low pay."

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Wholesale Supplies Plus full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great. It is hard to understand why such a great group of people continue to work in such an unstable and low wage environment.

Cons

The CEO is a bit unstable. Hiring and firing people on a whim, extreme moodiness in the workplace and creating and ending projects without much thought or consideration to those who've spent time on them. New employees are often warned that they will be 'Lucky to last 6 months". I witnessed several firings during my time there that had nothing more to do with than the CEO just not liking someone anymore. I witnessed... someone let go after 4 days of employment for reasons unknown, a woman laid off during her maternity leave and a long-term employee let go for no discernable reason. While legal in an "at will" environment, it isn't very moral and caused all of the employees to be on edge. This also created a very "yes man" atmosphere where no one could express an opinion that didn't fall in line with the CEOs. Additionally, people are hired for their expertise in an area and then that expertise is either ignored or the CEO becomes agitated that said employee knows more than she does on the topic. On top of these things, it is a very low-pay company. People are hired strategically without education or in the midst of being laid off for years so the pay can be kept at a minimum. As soon as people ask for raises, people tend to become questioned as to their value with the company and being let go is a high possibility.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and pay them more for the expertise they have. Relinquish control and value the employees you have that stick with you regardless of the unstable environment.

Wholesale Supplies Plus2014-04-20
  9. "A great job for someone in college."

Order Fulfillment in Broadview Heights, OH

I have been working at Wholesale Supplies Plus

Pros

Stable company that is continuing to grow.

Cons

very monotonous job in which one does the same thing everyday.

Wholesale Supplies Plus2012-04-02